Review of Illyria House

Ranked #25 of 418 Restaurants in Pretoria
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

MANY thanks Marietjie and staff: JAN, PATIENCE, JOHANNES and kitchen chefs and staff,
I manage to make a booking 3 days in advance for my husbands 60th birthday. If you have a special group of 20 people, all you need to do is phone and book! From the chamber musician to the last course on the magnificent verandah, was perfect in every way! And as easy as making one call! Every dish of the 5 course dinner was so tasty! Every one enjoyed it tremendously and are planning to visit Illyria house in the future for one of its many offerings!

3 Thank koos r r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Ladies Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

All I have to say is THANK YOU for the most fantastic morning/afternoon us ladies have had in a while. The house transports you back and the service was impecable. The tea/coffee/eats were delicious. The gardens are breathtaking and well maintained. I will definately be recommending this to all my friends and we will definately be back. Again thank you.

3 Thank DebbieNunes
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“A venue to savour...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was treated to high tea at Illyria this weekend. What an amazing experience. From when you enter the gracious mansion you are transported to a different world. The building and decor are stunning, the garden tranquil and the food was outstanding. The 2 ducks were another highlight for me !!!! I would highly recommend Illyria for an occasion to remember. Thank to management and staff. I look forward to visiting again soon.

2 Thank Mirella P
South Africa
“High Tea Ok but definitely not 5 stars!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We opted for a Saturday promotional Morning High Tea at Illyria House, having a German guest with us for two weeks and wanting to treat her to something special. On balance it was a disappointing experience having expected a 5-star High Tea with all the fine detail, posh trimmings, stirling service and traditional High-Tea variety of treats. The freshly baked muffins, sweet and savoury scones, bakes and danish pastries were admittedly really superb. There were however no sandwich bites, nor novel cakes, nor were the offerings served on the traditional triple-stack tray. But more importantly, there was no well-rounded service and refinements to accompany it.

When booking we were offered the Summer house for more privacy, but upon arrival were told that the veranda is open (where High tea is normally served) and that we needed to sit there, otherwise "it would have been too much of runnning up and down" to serve us. No personalised, friendly welcome or introduction on how the High Tea will unfold, no displayed variety of teas in a tea encasement as is usually the case at HighTeas, and a very long waiting period before anything arrived. My wife' s cup of coffee, already pre-poured in the kitchen were just put down in front of her, not on a saucer. We had to send it back and ask for it to be properly served out of a coffee decanter! The crockery, although neatly presented, was not really a resemblance of the stylish fine-China colourful type. The general ambience and views over the lawns and garden greenery was pleasant enough - but the overall impression we were left with: there was no sound quality-control present to produce a 5-star High Tea - something one would expect to be the norm at a 5-star establishment.

“Maybe it's better when you pay 'normal' prices! ;-)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We went to Illyria house on a Groupon voucher.. (Don't think we'd be able to afford it on a normal basis with an average starter going for an average R140).

Our first time was for afternoon high tea which we thoroughly enjoyed. The food was great, and the atmosphere very relaxing and wonderful. We took a walk around the gardens, it is definitely a hidden gem in the city. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful.

We visited them again (on a group on voucher again :-) ), this time for dinner. I made a reservation telephonically 2 days before and was asked to let them know what we would be eating. I thought it was quite strange, more so when wedding know what we'd feel like 2 days later. I nevertheless gave them the order.

Upon arrival, we were given the same great service and were seated in their cellar. Its a small cellar at the main staircase, which is also across from the desk where the waiters work from so although it's romantic, there's people continuously going up and down. Closing the door to the cellar is not an option as you would get claustrophobic being in this 3-4sqm room.

Starters were great, for mains my husband had a duck breast, it really lacked flavor. My beef was delicious. For dessert we has milk tart and an apple tart in custard... I think the chef forgot to put sugar in the milk tart and custard. It was by far the worst milk tart I have ever had! After two spoons, we sent it back.

The place really has a nice ambiance. Definitely pricey for an average Joe.. A cosmopolitan cocktail is a whopping R97... There was no cocktail cheaper than R97. They must be using some extra special ingredients! Lol

I've booked for massages.... From groupon of course :-) we'll see how that goes.

2 Thank LeAfrica