“Lovely afternoon lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 355 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: African
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Granita, offers a fine dining experience with innovative dishes created by head chef Sammy Mashile, and an award-winning wine list.At Granita the focus is on fresh organic produce provided by local farmers and producers. Chef Sammy uses the finest local and seasonal ingredients, to create a fresh fusion of flavours that offers diners a five-star culinary experience, whether you prefer a meal a la carte, or an enthralling food and wine pairing.The Granita Wine Cellar is ideal for small, more intimate private gatherings and can accommodate up to 12 people.The a la carte menu changes with the season to ensure that only the freshest available produce is used, and that guests experience new dishes regularly.Granita also offers a 5-course Sunday lunch. The menu can be paired with wines from the award-winning wine list which are sold by the glass. The Gourmet Menu is a six course tasting menu of dishes selected from the a la carte menu. Each course has been paired with a select wine from our award-winning wine list.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely afternoon lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Lunch at Granita was included as part of the spa treatments I was invited to experience with a friend recently. It's very serene out here, overlooking a large garden where some were picnicking - something I'd love to do the next time.

The waiters were attentive, and made sure we were okay, or needed a refill for drinks. Our 3 course lunch was excellent. The food was good, and while the portions are not as big as you'd expect, I found it to be just the right size for a 3 course meal. Presentation of all my courses were beautiful, and the calamari steak main dish was superb. If only the main dish was slightly larger!

I'd definitely return to the spa and lunch here. If you haven't already, it's great as a romantic spot, as well as going with friends.

• Visited September 2013
KievitsKroon, Owner at Granita, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for this great review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your lunch and your visit to Kievits Kroon and hope that you'll be back to experience a picnic on the lawns this summer. You will not be disappointed!

“Superb Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

After a recent spa day at the Kievits Kroon Spa I have been following Kievits Kroon on Twitter which aided me in winning a luncheon for 2 a the Kingsley Restaurant.

My husband and I enjoyed a superb buffet with so many varieties of food we were spoiled for choice. The food is absolutely delicious and certainly worthy of a 5 star recommendation. I really enjoyed the fact that from the starters, through to the main, to the desserts and cheese board the food was prepared differently than a "normal" buffet which can be found at any buffet catering restaurant. The variety and different plates had stunning flavours such as the delicious lamb stuffed with pistacchio nuts was superb to name just one amazing choice.

The atmosphere is wonderful. The staff are very professional and provide exceptional customer service. I really felt like royalty and noticed that they treated everyone like royalty.

I highly recommend Kievits Kroon.

• Visited June 2013
KievitsKroon, Owner at Granita, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
This is a fabulous review, thank you for taking the time to post it. I'm delighted that our buffet restaurant Kingsley's exceeded your expectations. I recommend you try our signature fine dining restaurant, Granita, next time you visit Kievits Kroon!
Alan O'Leary, Managing Director
“Lunch for that special occasion!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had lunch at the Granita Restaurant on a public holiday. What a pleasant surprise: the surroundings are beautiful and serene.We chose the set menu. Although the portions were small each was a signature dish well prepared with lots of style, taste and finesse! The service was efficient and friendly. Definitely recommended for that special occasion!.

• Visited April 2013
KievitsKroon, Owner at Granita, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thanks for posting this great review. I am delighted that your experience at Granita exceeded your expectations and hope you'll be back soon.
“Lovely Anniversary Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I shared our second wedding anniversary at Granita. It is a beautiful restaurant, with friendly staff and lovely food. The menu is interesting and exciting, and the meals are well prepared. I would definitely recommend the restaurant for a quiet, romantic dinner.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
KievitsKroon, Owner at Granita, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your wedding anniversary at Granita and for this great review. We hope to see you back again for the next one!
“Mediocre lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went for lunch at Granita Restaurant at Kievits Kroon Country Lodge & Spa over the weekend. The estate itself is absolutely beautiful with sprawling well-manicured gardens. Granita is the signature restaurant of the lodge and has a beautiful setting overlooking the gardens and pool area.

Our table setting was perfect in the corner and nice big table to allow for a languid lunch. The menus are interesting and sound wonderful with very reasonable prices. But the prices also reflect the size of the portions, as it really isn’t big at all. We weren’t expecting big portions, as we’re used to fine dining and the sizes of the portions, but this was a bit ridiculous. The starters were tasty and acceptable for the price you pay, but mains were a bit of a let-down. Some of our party’s dishes were fine, but others were really bland and tasteless. Presentation on the starters was also good, but failing when it came to main course again.

The wine list is good, with a good variety in taste and price to choose from.

Service needs a lot of attention as at times you have perfect service, and other times you have to stand up and go and tell the waiters what you want to order. We had to order wine twice by walking into the restaurant and telling the waiters what we’d like.

So, in essence a wonderful setting, mediocre food and not good service at all. We will probably be back for the setting, but not really for the food. Maybe just to try dinner and see if it’s better, but I’m not sure….

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
KievitsKroon, Owner at Granita, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We have only recently become aware of this page, which is why I have not responded to your review sooner.
This is very disappointing but I appreciate your constructive criticism. I can confirm that we have increased our portion sizes and are constantly working to improve our service. I hope that you will not only try our dinner menu, but that you’ll be back for lunch. I am confident that you will have a better experience.
Alan O’Leary, Managing Director