“Nice stay, would return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Illyria House

Save Saved
You added Illyria House to your Saves list
Illyria House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   327 Bourke Street | Muckleneuk, Pretoria 0002, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Pretoria
Reading, England
“Nice stay, would return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed here for one night before catching the train to Victoria Falls. If returning to Pretoria would certainly try to stay here again. The only issue we had all stay was getting in the front door, there was no real sign with the hotels name on and the front was locked but we eventually found a bell to ring. We found it easily as the pavement outside has the street number printed on.

We had two rooms separate from the main building and they come with there own private swimming pool and lounge area which is very nice. We had dinner and breakfast here which was extremely good and when we left the staff sang us off as we got into the taxi.

Room Tip: If you need two rooms select the ones in the private annexe.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spent four (4) wonderful nights – 5 days - at Illyria House. The attention to detail, the care and consideration is outstanding. It is a lovely place, with ambience and charm, however, most of my credit must go to WONDERFUL team and fantastic owner, who went above and beyond to ensure, I had a fantastic time. If you have time in Pretoria, The Freedom Paris a must.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Wow, where to begin....Marietjie (The owner of Illyria), I cannot begin to thank you for making our special day a reality. We left Illyria, after our wedding, feeling like family.
I selected Illyria House for my wedding because it is the most beautiful boutique hotel I had ever laid my eyes on. With its magnificent architecture, immaculate gardens and perfect location my decision was very easy. This venue exudes class and elegance and what makes it even more special is the fact that every bit of furniture and the ornaments are the real deal, sourced by the owner herself across the world. The profesionalism of the staff and handeling of affairs is not seen often in this industry, and what makes it more special is that they truely make you feel like you are valued by them. Marietjie took time to sit with us and go through exactly what it was that we wanted. She never made us feel rushed nor pressurised and gave us valuable sugestions based on her experience. I sent her a picture of the colours I liked and she sourced and did the flowers and table decor without any further guidence. She managed to find very rare flowers which she incorporated. I could not have thought up a more beautiful and classy set up. Her chef prepared a buffet fit for a king and this was complimented on over and over. There was not a single hitch on the day of my wedding and her staff were enthusiastic, friendly and highly preofessional. They doted on my guests and my every need.
I was lucky enough to get to stay in one of the Suites the night before my wedding, I was assisted with my every need, nothing was not catered to. The rooms are so charming and beautiful and I truely felt like a princess.
I would lilke to thank Marietjie and her team for making my wedding the talk of the town....every single person at my wedding commented on how this was the best wedding they had ever been to.
After having spent time with the staff, owner and at the Hotel I cannot believe the negative commments that some have posted. I believe that these comments have been done on purpose by surrounding hotel owners who are spiteful and jealous of the Beautiful "Illyria House"

Room Tip: Any one of the rooms is immaculate
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Illyria House, is nestled genteelly in the diplomatic area of Pretoria. Once a grand lady of Pretoria she is sadly in need of a little TLC and investment, which lends an air of Satis House to her. Having said that, what she may lack in terms of investment, is compensated for by her charm, her wonderful staff and excellent food.

We arrived after a rather exhausting trip and were welcomed by the team, our original room (Maria Suite) was not to our liking and we were quickly and efficiently moved. This suite has been the subject if a number of negative comments and whilst I generally agree with the comments, we found any issues resolved quickly. The food is excellent and freshly prepared. The three ducks in the garden are real characters and highly entertaining although steadfastly phot phobic.

We very much felt that we were sharing someone's home, the owner is very hands on and her care and attention extended to us even when we left (our driver getting hopelessly lost en route to Pretoria Station) she talked him through the directions and her team contacted the train operator to make them aware of our predicament.

General observations are that they need some new beds and the in room hospitality needs upgrading. The mini bar is well stocked but guests should note that it is not complimentary.

If you are looking for a slick boutique hotel this may not be for you, however it was a charming experience.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms at the back.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

My husband & I were looking for a special place to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and we decided on Illyria House. WOW!! It was the most enchanted and romantic time that we could have hoped for. Marietjie and her staff went out of their way to make our stay as romantic and special as possible. Little things like setting up our dinner in the privacy of the wine cellar and arranging a surprise bottle of champagne in the Jacuzzi for us will never be forgotten. Every little detail was seen to and nothing was too much effort. We were looked after, wined, dined and totally spoilt! The food was delicious and every meal carefully planned. I loved that the Chef personally comes and talks to you about your meal & preferences.

Illyria House captures the essence of a time past and you can't help but feel like you have slipped into an enchanted world as you walk around. The house is elegantly decorated with old furnishings from all around the world and the gardens are absolutely stunning. We enjoyed every beautiful memory at Illyria and felt like we were on honeymoon all over again......Thank you Marietjie, Johannes, Andrew and all the other staff for an unforgettable stay! We will definitely see you again.

Room Tip: Catherina Suite is pure romance
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

What a respite from the city! The attentive service, the tranquil gardens and the fine dining complement the charm of splendid architecture and decor. This hotel is a rare treasure in today's high paced environment with a charm reminiscent of 'Gone With the Wind'

Very highly recommended, particularly for a romantic break or special occasion.

Room Tip: We'll worth a bit more for the suites
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Pretoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

A blend of sartorial-style elegance and eclectic charm Illyria House is like no other place i have stayed in. The tranquil atmosphere coupled with a dedicated staff who take personally every request combine to make for a truly relaxing experience. Nothing was too much for the staff, they would respond willingly with a smile. Considering the considerable maintenance burden which such a majestic property entails these requests could be quite frequent - but the prompt way which each was dealt with made staying here a real treat.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Illyria House? Share your experiences!