“Amazing out of this world experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Illyria House

Save Saved
You added Illyria House to your Saves list
Illyria House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   327 Bourke Street | Muckleneuk, Pretoria 0002, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 66 hotels in Pretoria
Okavango Delta, Botswana
“Amazing out of this world experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was absolutely the most exquisite place I have ever come across anywhere in the world.
The service the food the decor the friendly staff.nif you want to be treated like royalty this is certainly the place to be!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Illyria House is one of those rare places you are dreaming of to vist. A place you didn´t thought exist, but it does! It is a gem - a jewel. The decor and ambiance is stunning. The service is personal, you will feel "at home" after a few minutes. Thank you Johannes, Jani and Marietjie - I can assssure you that we are coming back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My Partner and I got to know of Illyria House from a promotion package we have bought from an internet advertising company, Group On. On arrival in early February 2013, we were received as Royal Family!! Our butler, Patience, looked after us during the whole duration of our stay, ensuring everything was accordingly to our needs. The staff's service was excellent; the food was very tasty and the atmosphere of the guesthouse is calling for return-upon-return!! The owner of the guesthouse was not present or available this particuliar weekend, but all were taken good care of by the butlers and other staff on the background. Our full body massages were excellent - definitely the best I've had in a long time. The grounds are neatly looked after and maintained and swimming pool & jacuzzi area is lovely, presentable & private, if needed to be...
Our romantic sleep-over was a memorable event and we will definitely consider Illyria House for a quick break away from the city-life, in a city...!!

Room Tip: Our suite had two bedrooms with double / queen beds in each room; on-suite bathroom with shower and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Centurion, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I arranged a surprise overnight stay at Illyria for my husband's birthday in May 2010. Every request and detail for the event was handled effortlessly by the friendly staff. Upon arrival, our butler took us to our room (Catharina suite) which was just breathtaking and boasted ultimate luxury, comfort and romance. The decor and furniture throughout the hotel was truly spectacular. We had a pre-selected light lunch on the impressive veranda during which the staff arranged a platter with strawberries and champagne on our balcony. We had dinner in the small wine cellar. The food, from starters to dessert (cheese platter on our balcony) was extraordinary! We also had complimentary sherry in our room. Breakfast was served on the veranda with a good selection of mouthwatering cold and hot dishes as well as yogurts, cereals and fresh fruit. In my opinion Illyria House is the most romantic boutique hotel in Pretoria

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had the most amazing overnight stay at Illyria house! What a welcome change from the clinical and impersonal chain-style hotels! The service from the white gloved butlers were fantastic, superb food, and we enjoyed the best full body massage in the world!! This was hands down the best massage I've ever had (and I've had plenty all over the world). The place is filled with beautiful antiques - truely a great escape in the middle of the hussle and bussle of the city! Thanks to all the staff who made our stay memorable.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I bought a Groupon voucher that advertised a dinner, bed and breakfast package with a full body massage. I had looked at Illyria House website and could not believe that I could get all of the above from the very reasonably priced voucher and I was amazed that the experience I had far out weighed any expectation of the advert - it was incredible!

The beauty of the marble flooring, antique furniture and the glorious brightly polished wooden floors takes the guest back to a colonial age where the stress and fuss of modern life is removed. My butler, Johannes, was beyond charming. He acted as a valet, parking my car (which was returned the next morning beautifully clean), porter, waiter and was nothing but polite friendliness. I was early for check in and was taken outside to the airy double volume veranda that overlooks a verdant garden that cuts the visitor off from any notion that they are in the centre of the capital city of South Africa. Most entertaining are a family of ducks which wander through the garden!

I was presented with a cooling drink before being shown to my room, the Elisabeth suite. It was a beautiful 2 bedroom suite with a modern kitchenette through one door and a spacious and delightful dressing room and bathroom through another. A lovely touch was the fresh fruit, nuts and sherry that had been left in the room, especially as I felt I was getting rather more than my Groupon voucher had advertised. In the bathroom, on a beautiful silver platter, was an array of lotions, bath salts and foam baths that tempted me to stay and never leave the room! Thank goodness for the convenience of air conditioning as Pretoria is very warm in the middle of summer but all the modern aspects, like TV and DVD player, are tastefully hidden in gorgeous antique wooden wardrobes.

It was late in the afternoon but the kitchen was more than happy to deliver a delicious chicken salad. On exploring the garden I came across the beautiful swimming pool. Every part of Illyria House has an invitation to sit down, put your feet up and relax. There are loungers under trees, surrounding the pool and in the veranda. The spa facilities are in the dark, cool shade of the trees and are almost invisible from the hotel to ensure quiet and privacy. And I can recommend the Thai hot stone massage!

Dinner was absolutely delicious, with the most wonderful service and and care taken with every detail. Breakfast echoed this and I found myself wishing that I could stay one more night.

I would highly recommend this hotel for those looking for old world charm and elegance with an emphasis on impressive personal service and attention to detail which is sadly lacking in the South African hospitality industry.

Thanks again to Mariekie and her team - I hope I am lucky enough to return soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I would like to know who rated this hotel 5 star and when this was last reviewed. I stay at a lot of places in my travels and I have had better experience at 3 star guest houses! Illyria House promises to be the best experience of your life, such a lie! I had the worst sleep in this place, the worst food and the worst possible experience away from my house. My 11 year old bed in my mother's house is more comfortable than the beds in this place. I have never had such an uncomfortable sleep. The linen smelt horible, I'm not sure if its supposed to be white... when was the place last cleaned??? Ohhh mu goodness I had to lay a towel I brought from home on the pillow just so I do not smell the stink on the pillows, they must have been bought when the place 1st opened. The place in in serious need of a renovation, it smels like mould and dust & breathing feels like you are taking in a disease from the air in the house.Mosquitoes feasted on us the whole night, My poor husband did not sleep a wink and this was meant to be a special day for him (I wished I could ask for my money back)!!! Ohhh My goodness lets not talk about the food, I almost suggested to my husband that we go out and get take outs after dinner, the food is disgusting, like it was cooked in dirty water-that's how it tastes! The breakfast is the worst, I didn't think anyone could mess up an egg untill I ate eggs from this house, horrible is an understatement. I don't even know what to say about this place. The massages were good (small mercies) even though the spa also smelt odd.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Illyria House? Share your experiences!