“If you are coming to Pretoria then you can stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Pretoria Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Pretoria Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Pretoria Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   643 Corner of Church and Wessels Streets, Pretoria 0007, South Africa   |
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Pretoria
istanbul
“If you are coming to Pretoria then you can stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Hotel has a good location for Pretoria but it is 50 min to Joburg. There is no taxi infront of the hotel, everytime you wanna go somewhere you need to call it thru travel desk which takes around 20 mins to 60 mins to come. The rooms are ok. They have upgrade me to a standard suite. Staff is very helpful. Food is very bad, don't try to eat anything. We ordered salad and the vegetable were dirty:-/ If u r coming to Pretoria for 1-2 days business trip then it is ok to stay.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

At the end of our tour around South Africa, we decided to stay for a couple of nights at the Sheraton prior to flying home. We choose this hotel due to the proximity of the Union buildings and the historic surroundings, also we thought it to be a 5 * hotel.
Surprisingly isolated from shops, malls,and almost all other tourist sights (except for great views of the Union Buildings) the Sheraton is a hotel with a firm diplomatic and business core,
The Sheraton is a bit spoilt ,and definitely needs some sharp competition from another 5* hotel to wake it up, and some of its staff, from its soporific state. It seems to rely on being the place for S A Government officials and business of all type to happen, (hopefully all legitimate).
That said the rooms were very good, except no sound on the television,( anywhere in the hotel), and gadgets galore , some even had instructions on how to use them!
Good bar with ,strangely, a la carte menu (limited). Excellent piano player.
The restaurant was a vast Savannah of a place: well run , almost empty, themed nights (ie curry from previous nights left overs), good wine list, excellent waiters.
And that was the mark of the Sheraton, for every good feature there was something rather annoying (eg the live band at the function outside, so loud that conversation in bars was impossible - goodness knows what it was like in the hotel rooms surrounding the temp bar). Similarly, the staff were either excellent or very poor. Interestingly the best staff were the room maids and luggage men, as well as the waiting staff.
A very mixed stay; and at times we did feel that we really were not welcome there.

Room Tip: FLOOR 7 is best if you pass security test
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Achetty, Ecommerce at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel as your preferred accommodation for the last few nights of your stay South Africa. We are very happy to know you enjoyed the state of the rooms and the bar and its waiters. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the loud noise of the band outside.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We reached at night and couldn't see any parking near reception.
the valet & door man looked at us but never moved an inch.
As we parked on the side, again no one came forward to direct us.
we walked past the valet and still no one said anything.
few seconds later, in the middle of check-in, they came running to tell us rudely to move the car. There was enough space for cars to move but the hyper valet was over reacting to the situation, he told me forcefully 3 times in a few seconds.

I don't have issues with moving the car,
the problem is why didn't they say something when we arrived.
and why hasn't anyone trained them to talk with guests.
Hospitality industry staff are usually trained but this was lacking at Sheraton lower level staff everywhere.

Breakfast was nice, chef was good like all other hotels of this level
unfortunately some staff members ruin the whole experience because they don't know how to talk with guests in an appropriate manner.

-before I could sit, I was told not so nicely by the waitress that i must dish quickly as they have a lunch event and will be closing soon. (many other people were walking in long after that and food was still layed out till the normal closing time)
-the coffee was cold and when i pointed it out, she did nothing to correct the situation.
-the toaster didn't work properly, no one was there to help. I called one of the waitresses but she half laughingly told me that this was one of those toasters where you have to stand & watch for the toast as it can burn. and then she left me there to watch? I don't even know of a 3 star hotel that does this kind of thing.
-cutlery wasn't so clean.

For the first time in my life, I walked back into my room angry and hungry.

Tried to distract myself by watching tv but not all channels were available.
went to photograph the union buildings view but it cannot be seen from the window or the pool side as the view is blocked by very tall trees. Why advertise it then? I guess its probably visible from the top floor.

next day i hoped for a better breakfast
luckily food was ok but then i got to the toaster and called the staff to make my toast.
-no one came to ask if i wanted coffee, had to wait quite long to get someone's attention although they were serving many other foreigners veryyy well.
-my toast arrived long after the egg got cold, the toast was burnt from one side and not done from the other. she saw that but still gave it to me.
-my fork was missing, i got one from the other table as I would've waited for eternity for staff.
I wasn't so angry anymore because I was expecting such pathetic service from the staff.
obviously 5 star means facilities and not service standards.

I will never recommend this hotel to anyone
there are lots of other better options

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Pretoria Hotel as your preferred accommodation while visiting Pretoria, South Africa
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my most sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced upon arrival.

Your exact detailing of your experiences will contribute greatly in investigating the cause of such issues and taking corrective action. We most certainly value your business as a client of the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel and will continue to strive to deliver the product and associated services which you as a guest expect from us.

We thank you once again for taking the time to detail your experiences and apologise for any inconveniences you experienced

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at the Pretoria Sheraton in August 2012. This year I observed a remarkable improvement in the check-in process and I was given a double bed as requested. The food at breakfast time is an excellent variety as always and the cleanliness of the hotel is good. The only complaint I had was that my safe failed to work one evening and the manager on duty assured me that it would be fixed early the next morning but the repairs were done after 48 hours. Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton Pretoria.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Achetty, Ecommerce at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the positive review of the hotel and its associates. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel. It’s nice to hear that that you experienced an improvement in check-in process and are pleased with the food and the service offered by our staff, they work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. I do apologise for the delay with getting you safe fixed, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Warm regards
cardiff, uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Sheraton is probably the best hotel in Pretoria and a solid option for business travel. However bear in mind that it is unsafe to venture outside this hotel unless you are in a car. The customer service is average to poor. Check-in is slow and bureaucratic as is the check-out. The rooms are generally good however some feel a bit dated. The restaurant food is OK but repetitive if you are there for a few days. The gym is dated and the staff are clueless. The rooms facing the main road can be noisy especially the lower level floors.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel. We do apologize for any service issues you may have experienced during your stay. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we get. We aim to deliver good quality and attentive service, and will continue to address the inconveniences / problems mentioned, in order to provide our guests with the service they deserve and rightly expect from the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel.

USA
1,114 helpful votes 1,114 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is very nice and pretty much up to par with the standards they advertise. Food it good and plenty, rooms are neat and well kept, staff nice and caring.
The only real problem is that the hotel is in a bad area. It is safe though as it is gate and guarded 24 hours per day. Inside the Sheraton is really quite nice. The pool area is perfect with views of the famous landmark park "The Union". I did take the time to get out and walk in the day time around the area and all through town. It really is questionable in every way and the feeling of safety is not that abundant. But I am quite adventurous and tend to go about no matter what location I am in around the world. I am sure this area was absolutely the cream of the crop'' in the past as it is still filled with grand homes and estates that are now run down and filled with all the wrong people, most likely transients. But as long as you stay in the hotel it has plenty to keep you busy and the prices are decent for all the services including a spa with massage, gym, facials, hair, etc. In short, this is a great hotel in a bad area. If this hotel were in a really high end area, the prices would be higher and there would be few complaints here in Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing The Union and pool area. Really nice view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you had a nice stay with us and had the opportunity to explore the hotel and its facilities. It is unfortunate that the surrounding area is not as safe as we would like it to be, however I can assure you that the hotel staff and security go out of their way to ensure that all our guests are safe and well taken care off.

Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed one night en route to Botswana. I didn't actually realise it was Pretoria - I thought we'd be in Jo'burg, but this was a happy error. (The 2 cities practically run in to each other.) A pleasant town and the administrative capital of SA so lots of fine buildings and statues, museums and art galleries. The Jacaranda trees were out and the place looked good. I've found Sheratons to be pretty reliable even if a little soul-less. This was a great location, very efficient staff, lovely big room with great amenities. To try and experience a bit of local life, we ate out, so cannot comment on the food. On the whole, pretty plush, lots of diplomats and ex-Presidents staying, but a night was enough and certainly a good place to recover from a long overnight flight.

Room Tip: Try and get a view of the parliament buildings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your visit to Pretoria; it is indeed a very pleasant town with lots to see. The Jacaranda season is definitely one of the prettiest months in Pretoria. We are delighted to hear that you had a comfortable overnight stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit to Pretoria

Hotel Management

Been to Sheraton Pretoria Hotel? Share your experiences!