“liked Pretoria” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Pretoria

You added Southern Sun Pretoria to your Saves list
Southern Sun Pretoria
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr. Beatrix and Church Streets, Pretoria 0083, South Africa   |
Ranked #9 of 67 Hotels in Pretoria
Mongu, Zambia
“liked Pretoria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I travelled to Pretoria to visit friends and for a break. So I didn't really know much about the place and I was a bit terrified of staying there with all the stories one hears about South Africa. It was a really nice hotel going by its brand and experience. Although different to the one in Lusaka in terms of service, this has really good service. I would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SamanthaClingham, General Manager at Southern Sun Pretoria, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your positve feedback following from your stay with us late last year.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Southern Sun Pretoria in the not too distant future.
Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Secunda, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at Sun International Pretoria on a number of occasions. My overall experience of the hotel is outstanding, from the time I check in until check out, I was treated like a king. It really made me feel welcomed, not like another guest at the hotel. I will definitely visit and stay at the hotel again and personally recommend it to all. You have to experience it to understand why this is the number one hotel to stay, whether for business or pleasure. the food is great, the staff is great..... the whole hotel is great

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SamanthaClingham, General Manager at Southern Sun Pretoria, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable experience with us and thank you for sharing your feedback which I truly appreciate as we can only improve as a hotel through valuable feedback from our guests such as yourself.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Southern Sun Pretoria in the not too distant future.
Alexandria, EGY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

It's an excellent choice for business/ official travellers. A very delightful and welcoming staff, delicious food, comfortable rooms and a very cozy restaurant by the pool.
The hotel is located in the center of the city, about 30 minutes away from Johannesburg airport

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
SamanthaClingham, General Manager at Southern Sun Pretoria, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for your positve feedback following from your recent stay at Southern Sun Pretoria.
I will definately pass on your feedback to my team where we strive in creating a memorable and comfortable stay for our guests.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent property for business travelers. The hotel has all the amenities you would expect from a 1st class hotel including sought after conference rooms. The rooms are typical to a Southern Sun property and are spacious with Wi-Fi access throughout. The restaurant was the highlight of my stay...food served with a smile. We tend to forget that those who are around the longest, know the hotel industry the best: this hotel is a prime example of a well run, well managed establishment which is hard to beat by the new kids around the block. I recommend Southern Sun Pretoria for business, for leisure or sheer pleasure.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for taking the time in completing the review. We hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon to Southern Sun Pretoria.
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

After a long day at work all I wanted was a good cup of coffee, Bongani made a superb coffee, and personalised it with my initial. Really made me feel welcomed, not yet another guest at the hotel. The coffee was so good that I had to invite a friend, also a guest at the hotel, to join me for another cup and to try out the cheese cake. Both were of the highest quality. Thank you Bongani for your personalised touch and for making such great coffee. Bongani was also able to manage all the guest requests with such efficiency and made carrying an arm load of coffee cups and sauces seem like a walk in the park. Nothing seemed too much for him. He is an asset to Southern Sun Hotels.
All the staff at the Southern Sun have been nothing but friendly and helpful. Thank you too to the Maintenance Staff who saw to a few minor problems with such speed, and at no inconvience to myself. Problems were resolved in no time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Southern Sun Pretoria, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Vanessa

Thank you very much for your positve feedback with regards to the service that you received recently whilst staying at Southern Sun Pretoria. I will definately pass on your message to Bongani who strives in making our guests feel extra special when visiting us in the Harambe Bar as do the rest of my team. Our mission at the hotel is to create great memories for our guests at every opportunity.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Southern Sun Pretoria in the not too distant future.
Samantha Clingham
Johannesburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Having been loyal to the Southern Sun brand for close onto a decade now I can honestly say that this must be one of their worst properties location wise. There are clear actions however that management can take to significantly improve the client experience at this facility.

1. The concierge outside the hotel stands there and watches you as you struggle with bags out of the taxi (perhaps I did not look "wealthy" enough to give a large tip after my long trip!

2. Check in was smooth - although , having being a victim of credit card fraud, I was a bit uneasy as the check in lady asked for my CCV number on my credit card - this has never happened to me before!

3. The rooms are pretty standard with a horrible view of the city, in my case a busy intersection half blocked by a tree growing on the window!

4. As with all Southern Sun's their saving grace is usually breakfast which was, as usual , up to scratch, well done

5. On check out I had a very good espresso made by a newly trained Barrista which was a good thing.

6. The biggest challenge was that at night (as I went across the road to get pizza having had enough of hotel food) the security guards at the main entrance do not deter vagrants who followed me to the door begging for money AS THE "SECUIRTY/CONCIREGE" looked on and did nothing. This makes me wonder if the attitude of the "area" has rubbed off on the concierge/security.

These people are the first impression a client gets of Southern Sun Pretoria (as to get to the reception you still need to go up an escalator) and that impression is currently in need of serious work. Not acceptable at all. Fix it management! Client is priority and if I stand by and watch the client struggle with bags on check in (another first impression) and later leave vagrants to harrass my client as he makes his way to the hotel entrance that is not good enough!

Pizza, chicken and Fish and Chips take aways across the road. small buy seedy cinema as well.

Room Tip: Street facing for calm, pool facing for noise in the summer. In winter choose pool facing as no one...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

You cannot go wrong with Southern Sun and in Pretoria is the same.
Good sleep quality, comfortable rooms and great staff.
Food quality can be improved but good value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Southern Sun Pretoria? Share your experiences!