“A 3-star at best.....and I mean it!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa to your Saves list
Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Kromdraai Road, Muldersdrift 1747, South Africa   |
Kampala, Uganda
“A 3-star at best.....and I mean it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

It's set up to be a 5-star but I give it 3-star. Potential is there but The serenity/ambience/scenery/rooms, are all 10-star but sadly that's where it ends - as someone has already put it. A few things I simply didn't find acceptable.....

1) No internet in the rooms. In today's world wi-fi is a must. I come from a 4th world country and there's free wi-fi available in virtually every hotel you move to. I expected better from a 5-star. Internet is only available in the lounge area. In other words, the rooms are simply a resting place.

2. Security appears lapse. In a highly insecure country like South Africa, you expect some king of "presence" of security personnel. I was there for one week but didn't see a single security personnel.

3. Yes there's DSTV but i wonder how they cannot have CNN or BBC on their menu....in addition to the fact that there's no internet in the rooms.

4. The conference rooms are just basic - nothing to add here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Midrand, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The first thing that captivated me about Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa is the majestic setting. The trout dams reflecting the surrounding Swartkops mountain makes you feel like you are sitting somewhere in Natal Midlands or Dullstroom. The rooms are luxurious and spacious and I will definately come back in summer to test out the outdoor shower. Food was delightful and really tasty. The service is up and down but generally very good. My highlight and the reason that I originally went to Kloofzicht, was the fly fishing. There are a total of 5 dams of which two are well stocked with Rainbow trout and two have bass & carp. The trout range from pan size (450g) to 2.5 kg. in a fly fishing competition a fly fisher caught a 4.1 kg trout so there are some trophy fish around. The main (and biggest) dam is restricted for club members and residents. I managed to land some bass and a few trout, the carp continue to evade me (there are some huge specimens in the dams). For the more experienced fly fishers there is small stream fishing for large and small scale yellow fish in the crocodile river (runs through the property). All in all this gem which is hidden in the Cradle of Mankind World Heritage site is definately worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for three nights. The rooms were beautiful with a romantic ambience about them. The fireplace was a clever touch especially in the chilly July winter nights. The staff were great except the security at the main gate who was quite unfriendly and seemed like he didn't want to be there.

Overall, it's a great establishment and I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The lodge is situated in a great location - only 30min from Johannesburg. The rooms are large, really beautiful and overlook a dam. That is where the 5 star ends unfortunately... The conference facilities are fairly average, for example we asked someone to bring us the remote for the air conditioning in our conference room but we never got one. So the room was freezing in the morning and boiling hot in the afternoon.

Upon arrival, the porters took us to our rooms by walking straight through the middle of a wedding receptions cocktail function. If I was in the wedding party I would be seriously upset by a bunch of strangers lugging their luggage through my wedding!

There were also a few issues in my room. Nothing too serious, but definitely not 5 star!

This place has serious potential, but needs to improve its attention to detail! If they were not rating themselves as a five star establishment, I would have given an overall rating of "very good". But for a 5 star lodge, this is definitely only average...

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The property is amazing, however from an operational level Kloofzicht deserves a 3* rating at the most.. this is most definitely not 5*. I received a free night due to the appalling service I received on my first stay - zero service and a hole in my bed sheet. This time round I was even more disappointed - I sent a mail to the Ops Manager who I am still waiting on a response - this is a shortened version of my mail to Udo Weimann:

How can this possibly be rated a 5* establishment, when:-
A- You don't offer room service
B- My access card did not work when initially entering the room and had to wait for the porter to run back to reception to get another activated card
C- A light in the bathroom was not working
D- The bar had no biltong or dry wors (seriously!!! after being told by reception I could order from the bar)
E- The bar had no cranberry
E- There was no two pin plug available in the entire resort for me to charge my phone.
F- The bar fridge in the room was empty

I think they must have paid some person to get the 5* rating, because this is definitely not a 5* establishment. Once cannot simply rely on the beauty of the property when from an operational level it is such a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Krugersdorp, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked for dinner to celebrate my husband’s 40th birthday. I was very disappointed with the entire experience.

We were not greeted at the restaurant and had to stand and wait for someone to notice us and show us to our table right next to the rowdy conference group in the restaurant and in the middle of the walkway for the waiters.

Not quite the start to the romantic five star restaurant experience I had planned and it did not get much better after that…

We were then seated on the patio at a very wonky table that almost fell over. Thankfully when the door was closed between us and the main restaurant, we could hear each other and have a conversation.

I ordered a Kahlua coffee that arrived cold and had to be sent back.

The food presentation was very nice, but tasted no different than any other average restaurant. I paid R225 pp for a R150 pp meal. I expect much more form a five star restaurant. My husband’s steak was so raw that he couldn’t finish it.

In fact, for the price I paid for the evening I should have rather gone to The Steak Restaurant at Silverstar Casino.

I would have had an excellent three course meal, with better service and a much better atmosphere for the same price…

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having both stayed at Kloofzicht lodge for work off sites, my husband and I decided to have a weekend away at Kloofzicht lodge. We chose the Superior room and it was fabulous. Location on the trout dam and we could fish right outside our room. The views of the mountain are amazing and the location is peaceful.

Each room has a fireplace, perfect for a cold winters night. It gets really cold in Muldersdrift and this feature is a winner. We had a blocked drain and leaking toilet in our room, but it wasn't an issue as the room was just amazing. Small things which can easily be overlooked in such a beautiful setting.

Reception staff and bar staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. They ensured that our stay was comfortable.

A recommendation: If you plan on doing spa treatments, book this when you make your accommodation booking because slots fill up quickly and you might not get a slot which suites you.

The disappointing part of our stay was the food. For a 5-star lodge, the food is not on par with the lodging.

Dinner is a set menu. For starters, the advertised "salmon confit", we really didnt expect to get canned salmon at a 5 star lodge- what a put off.

For main course my husband ordered a "deconstructed chicken pie" and he got his food cold. Presentation and taste was good though. I ordered the "catch of the day" and the fish fillet was so hard and rubbery it was inedible. I sent it back for correction but was disinterested by the time i got a new plate.

From the three courses, the dessert was amazing. Hats off to the pastry chef. Have a look at our pictures

The next morning, the dining room didn't fail to be a let down again.
Breakfast was even worse than dinner. The bake section of cakes & breads was terrible. Banana loaf was dry and crumbly- seemed like slices from days before. Other options looked unappetizing.

We both ordered omelettes, it lacked seasoning and again the filling was cold, the cheese unmelted, tomatoes looked stale. From the buffet, the potatoes had a cardboard texture (definitely leftovers again) and the tomatoes acidic. As an alternative we asked for soft poached eggs, only to receive hard poached eggs.

I know I am going on about the bad dining experience, but we are extremely disappointed that such a stunning place has such a bad dining experience.So bad, that we didn't stay for lunch and left early.

It just doesn't tie up. We have been to numerous places in SA and around the world and this has to stick out as a bad memory for food at a hotel. Please management, improve your dining experience!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!