“Amazing service!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Muldersdrift
Pretoria, South Africa
“Amazing service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife and I recently visited your beautiful hotel and I meant to write sooner but travels kept me busy! Your gardens are absolutely magnificent! We received exceptional service from a lady called Marlize with a Swiss background! My wife accidentally messed some red wine on her blouse. Marlize brought one of her own blouses to my wife to change into and cleaned my wife's blouse which we found neatly back in our room! This kind of exceptional service I have never come across! What an asset to your establishment this lady is!

Room Tip: All rooms are nestled in a beautiful garden!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I completely agree with the comments made in the other reviews about the ambiance of the property. It is beautiful and the rooms remind you of where you are. However, it is not a hotel for the business traveler. Wifi is spotty at best and impossible most of the time. I realize internet connectivity in South Africa is relatively slow but this was frustrating to have to walk around the room until I found the one spot where I had a little coverage so I could do a few emails.
The rooms were clean, but the first room I was assigned had 5 conditioners and 0 shampoos. I thought it was a new property trying to work out the kinks, but found they have been around for several years, so apparently management isn't interested in making it a priority to have everything working well. I went to dinner once at the coffee shop and asked if I could sign to the room. I was told yes and then at 11:30 that night I received a phone call saying I could not and is needed to go to reception first thing in the morning. I went to reception and explained the situation and was told I didn't need to go and I could sign my dinners to the room. When I went to check out at the end of my 6 night stay I was told I needed to pay for my last night. I. Showed the receipt from when I checked in showing I had paid upfront for my entire stay. The gentleman apologized and said their system was having problems. This in a nutshell was what I experienced throughout my stay. Little items of annoyance that added up to a overall disappointing experience.
Great for a couple of romantic nights but not for a 6 night business stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RecreationAfrica, General Manager at Misty Hills Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Doug
Allow me to express my gratefulness for selecting Misty Hills Country Hotel Conference and Spa for your stay, and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay with us.
Thank you kindly for mentioning about the beauty and ambiance of our property.

The issues that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed, so that we can make adjustments accordingly and guarantee the best experience for our future guests.
I do hope you will honour us a return visit to our property and allow us the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made by delivering the usual high standards that you both deserve and should rightfully expect.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Warmest regards,

Francois Stremmelaar
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I just wanted to say “Thank You” for all your assistance on Saturday and helping make the day so special for my Mom and Dad.

The breakfast was awesome and the staff were wonderful.

Everybody had such a good time at Misty Hills, and had only good things to say. Everybody there made the day so special.

Room Tip: We had a function there and used the Gin Box Venue, which was very comfortable and warm atmosphere...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Misty Hills is the ultimate African experience. This was our third time to stay at this venue. Each time has been better than the last. The rooms are well decorated and comfortable. Absolutely loved the outdoor shower. The bed was very comfortable. The service incredible. The food fabulous. I'll stay here every time I come back to Africa.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on our last night in SA, awesome place for a budget price. A lot of the complex was closed down as it was just before Christmas but we had fun playing with the gym equipment and using the pool. The included breakfast was truly memorable, the rooms were great. Similar price to a hostel but oh, so much nicer!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Washington D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Built as a sort of bio park the entire campus is rich with flora and fauna, making your stay feel less like a hotel and more like a park. Originally booked in an economy room I was appalled at the poor level of maintenance and quality. Due to poor wifi coverage I was moved to a better room, one that afforded a better quality of stay and better internet. The better room was fantastic, probably worth the additional money in the future, and better experience. The breakfast is extensive, hot and cold options for local and international palates. Central reception was under construction during this visit but, aside from the poor signage, the staff did their best to ease the challenges.

Room Tip: This is not an ideal location if you suffer from allergies, the thatched roofs are clean and well ke...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We drove from Durban to Misty Hills Country Motel, easy drive, highway all the way, still have no word from the e-toll management regarding our toll costs. Found the hotel by GPS. The layout is a bit confusing when you first arrive, but once you take a walk around the property, it becomes easy enough although the property is very expansive. Directional signs in the hotel are good, the gardens, water streams and waterfalls are relaxing. The reception was still a temporary affair but the staff were fantastic, friendly and most helpful, so there was no problem. Our stay was for 4 nights, wherever we met friendly staff there was always offers of assistance, the restaurant [we only used the Gin Box] was great, breakfast we have not seen better in many years, if you can eat under the trees do it. The rooms are quiet, just the insects and birds in harmony. The golf carts assist with luggage and will run you anywhere on the property. Free wi-fi excellent. Our rooms for the party ranged from village 4 through to village 8, all found to be great. For us Durbanites, it was a peaceful haven from a year of hard work although we were in Gauteng for a wedding we will definitely be back for a long weekend break later this year, far preferable to Cape Town although you do need a car and a Garmin if you are from out of town. Pool area and swing beds are great. Very interesting history of the property and living in a botanical garden environment was a first for us, with the labels on trees and shrubs most enlightening with information.

Room Tip: The higher priced rooms have air conditioning, this may be preferable in summer.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Misty Hills Country Hotel? Share your experiences!