“An embarrassing dissapointment” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“An embarrassing dissapointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The last time I dined at Carnivore in Muldersdrift was in 2002 and I remember it being a fairly relaxed yet upmarket and enjoyable dining exoerience. With this memory in mind, I decided to recommend booking dinner there for my Boyfiend, his folks and I-as his parents were staying at the Misty Hills Hotel next door.

From the moment I walked into the restaurant I knew it was a mistake to pick this as our dinner venue. It smelt of sickly sweet dirt, the decor looked shabby and dated and the lighting was overly bright and not at all welcoming. In their defence, I found the staff to be friendly and jokey -but in a fashion obviously cultivated for the touristy groups who throng to Carnnivore. However, service was inconsistent and I still dont know who our official waiter was as various people attempted to tend to us throughout the evening.

The food was atrocious. I am not somebody to pick apart a meal and I really tend to enjoy whatever is put in frot of me in restaurants without being overally critical. However, this food was virtually inedible. The soup starter tasted like overly salty gruel. The accompanying bread rolls less than fresh. The meat was charred and dry and the abrasive way in which servers approach patrons with huge chunks of meat was crude and unappealing. The salads and sauces were of a low quality and looked old. The deserts were equally unappealing. I had a taste of the rock hard, waxy cheesecake and it was bitter, stale and disgusting.

The bathrooms also smelt dirty and the bins needed clearing. Another example of how far this once super venue has degenerated. Having enjoyed gorgeous meals with my Boyfriend's folks when they have hosted us in Durban, I was excited to invite them to have a taste of Africa in a once decent Jozi restaurant. Instead, I spent the evening apologizing for my poor restaurant choice. I will never be back and I will never recommend Carnivore again. Simply horrible!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Meat lover's paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had no idea what to expect when we visited this place the first time. Had heard a lot of good things but had been disappointed at other places.
Entered the place..Ambience was awesome. Great service and the food was out of this world.
Tried all sorts of meat. Croc, Zebra, and the usual red meat.
Funnily enough, most of my friends and me included enjoyed the pumpkin soup over there.
The croc meat was the tastiest of the lot.
For people like me with decent appetites, it was a totally awesome experience and money truly well spent.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charleston, South Carolina
“Different and always interesting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I usually take my foreign friends to this restaurant as an introduction the cuisine and the exotic tastes offered. It is not just anywhere one gets to sample some of the game that is on the menu.
There are a few token vegetables, but this is a restaurant for meat lovers, in case the name didn't give it away! The food is brought around on large skewers - more like swords - and carved directly onto the plate. One need only put up the white flag to indicate that one is finished. And it is a challenge. The food is good, and the service equals the standard set. I love returning at every opportunity!

• Visited August 2012
Denmark
“Really funny night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

A great place for a meat lover :-) A place if you would like to try many different types of African meat types. Waiters are a good laugh.. And you can get a birthday song :-)

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Eeklo, Belgium
“diner in carnivore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

the diner in carnivore was very good, great barbecue with all the meat you can eat in south-africa.
A good atmosphere, friendly people and good wines for a good price.

• Visited December 2012