“Necessary evil” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Midrand

You added Protea Hotel Midrand to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Midrand
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14th Street, Noordwyk Ext 20 | Halfway House, Midrand 1685, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Midrand
Cape Town
“Necessary evil”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I unfortunately have to stay at this hotel very regularly as I travel to Midrand on business frequently and the hotel is very close to our Midrand office. I again stayed at the hotel last week and once again was appalled by the poor service and terrible quality of room service food. I also had endless problems upon check-out as I had meals charged to my bill which I did not consume and was then asked by one of the staff whether I perhaps had a guest in my room who consumed the food?!?! I was also contacted by the hotel after I left to say they made another mistake with my bill and I had to pay additional amounts. It was ridiculous, especially as the hotel is extremely expensive (to stay and to eat). I wish I could find another decent hotel in the vicinity where I could stay when on business, as this one is the pits.

Room Tip: If you have a choice to stay somewhere else, do so!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel Midrand, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Madam

I would like to thank you for coming back to me regarding the below. On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Midrand I would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience.

I am extremely saddened by your feedback. As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Your overall experience is therefore very concerning to me.

I wish to confirm that both myself and Zené, who contacted you during last week have personally followed up on your comments and sent it through to all the Heads of Departments for their urgent investigation. We will strive to rectify the shortcomings, especially with food quality and service and the billing there-of prior to your check out. I agree that this is absolutely unacceptable and I trust that you will notice an improvement during your next stay.

As a gesture of our concern and in order to show you our true service excellence, please accept our invitation to enjoy a complimentary night’s accommodation, including dinner for you when next you are in the area. I can assure you, should you find an opportunity to take advantage of this offer, that you will receive our very best care and attention. I would also love the opportunity to meet with you personally in order for us to discuss how we can accommodate your specific needs and to offer you a home away from home experience. Please contact me or Zené directly to coordinate your next visit.

Mrs. Olivier, your interest and concern are truly invaluable to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance whatsoever. As per my previous mail, I would appreciate an opportunity to create a WOW experience for you at our Hotel!

Yours sincerely

Tania Malan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ahmedabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed in Hotel Protea, Midrand for more than a month, mainly as it was located near to my place of work. It is a decent business Hotel. The staff is warm and courteous. Always ready to help. However, the limitation of the hotel is its location. There is hardly anything that you can do in and around the hotel in midrand. Hence the hotel is suitable mainly for business travellers who have business in Midrand or need to travel to both Pretoria and Joburg frequently. The Hotel is also perhaps not suitable for disabled persons and old people as it is not wheel chair friendly due to a labyrinth of stairs and floors and lack of lifts. The hotel serves a very good and sumptous breakfast. We could have done with a wider spread of vegetarian menu though. The staff went out of their way to help me with my fare and meals. Would like to specially thank Victor - the F&B manager for having taken care of me. The hotel also offers 100 MB of data free per day, which is sufficient for normal surfing, emailing and social networking. The gym could have been better equipped. Couldnt use the pool due to winters.

Room Tip: Choose a room nearer to the reception, overlooking into the garden in the inside
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed for a fortnight and can't fault the cleanliness and comfort of this hotel. The barfood and the restaurant are excellent, for reasonable (UK) prices, I just wish they had more South African dishes. The staff were lovely, just not very efficient in the morning at breakfast with te and coffees, twice I had breakfast without tea. Good variety of fruits, cereals, juices, cheeses, breads and hot dishes at breakfast. There are no shops near, the hotel offered expensive transport (10 mins drive) to a nearby small shopping centre for £15. The excursions were not cheap, either, but well varied and interesting, we went to one National Park , where we saw a lot of the big game, and did a visit to Jo'burg and Soweto.
Room safe, tea/coffee making facilities and fridge were included in the price. We were a couple of days without internet or phone, and the internet access (1 computer for hotel guests) remained a problem during our entire stay.
The swimming pool was too cold for us to use, a pity. Small garden to sit in.

Room Tip: Noisy alarms going off at night front of hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I am another guest who cannot believe some of the reviews written about this Hotel. I had a fairly pleasant three nights here recently. The staff were friendly, the food was passable and the Hotel was ideally situated, close to the Company I was visiting. The terrace area is very relaxing in the evening with a drink and the bar has plenty of sport on the big screens to keep most ethusiasts happy. I must agree with the review that mentioned the strange topography of the Hotel and the fact you have to carry your case up and down stairs without the benefit of a lift.

Ok it is not a Hotel for tourists, there is nothing of interest nearby but if you have business in the area or if you need to visit Jo'Burg or Pretoria, it is perfectly situated.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

There are so many things wrong in this hotel -- its actually difficult to find something nice to say about it.

Checkin -- curt staff informed us that our credit cards would be charged right away. They don't believe in credit blocks, something about hotel residents running away without paying the bill blah..blah...(After staying here for a week, I understood why people would want to do that). Not only do they charge you in advance, but over and above the price of the rooms they charge you a "security deposit". Mind you, the room rates aren't cheap by any measure.

From Checkin to Room -- all the porters mysteriously vanished. I then understood why. The hotel has a bizarre architectural design -- all the rooms are on 2 alternating levels -- so even if your room is on the "ground floor" you may have to climb up and down a insane series of stair-cases. Why would anyone build a hotel like this unless they were sadists ? If you are on a wheel-chair this might very well be the last straw.

Room -- Fiddly key card on door, never worked properly. Then they have key card access doors from the lobby to the rooms area (which didnt inspire much confidence… "its for your own security" the checkin clerk told me rather ominously). There is the standard television in the room. Reasonably silent when no one is having a party in the outdoor area. The shower in the bathroom is another example of an idea gone horribly bad. Instead of a standard hot water faucet -- there is a contraption for switching and regulating the hot water -- it took me a day to master taking a shower with this thing.

Internet Access - not free. charged and moderately fast. This is no good, if I am paying for it -- it better be fast.

Location -- The hotel is poorly located. You have to use a taxi to reach anywhere -- and everywhere else is a long distance away. In the absence of alternatives you can be sure the resident taxi service is not cheap.

Restaurant -- Breakfast is OK. The ala-carte menu is passable fare at best. Why would you want to eat here anyway ? There is a bar which attracts some colorful crowd, which might be of interest if you are into that sort of thing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I'm at a loss to understand why this hotel has had so many bad reviews. I had a very pleasant stay indeed. I had a very relaxing three day stopover here and everything was very satisfactory. Some of the staff can be a little surly but if you are pleasant with them they open up to you and are very friendly. Most of the restaurant staff were extremely pleasant especially Paul who was charm personified.
The only problem is that the rooms are on two levels spread out a long way from reception and on sub levels with steps etc so it can be a real trek and there are no lifts.
However, my room was very pleasant and facing the pool and I slept incredibly well here.
There is a lovely terrace overlooking the pool which serves drinks and snacks all day and a refurbished modern bar area. I had dinner twice in the restaurant and the food was excellent.
This is a perfectly pleasant hotel and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

the good points:

pool area is nice and peaceful

the bad:

staff who arent rude at all but just dont seem able to actually get anything right first time

lack of security - following a robbery key cards were introduced , which had to be used not only to enter your room but to enter the corridoors the rooms are on - - however - the doors from the lobby to those corridoors are more often than not just left ajar - as are the patio doors which lead to the pool - and yes - from the pool the doors into the corridoors of bedrooms are often left open too

if you dont have a car or dont book the mini bus to take you out ( not always reliable sorry to say) then youre stuck with eating at the hotel - the menu is very limited and half the time what you receive is NOT what you ordered at all

internet is ridiculously expensive - however i do feel and believe that the hotel changes the price depending on who you are and if youre with a large group or not - not only is it expensive but its slow and unreliable - - - - south africa considers itself more advanced than other parts of africa but should be embarrassed that as far as technology and service goes - the protea falls way behind hotels in nigeria, ghana, kenya , uganda etc

if i had a choice i would never come to this hotel again - - there are much better choices not too far away in sandton etc

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Midrand? Share your experiences!