“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Samrand

You added Protea Hotel Samrand to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Samrand
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Samrand, Sterling Street | PO Box 2273, Midrand 1685, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early and Save 20%
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Midrand
Kasterlee, Belgium
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The hotel is situated in an industrial area where there is really notting to do miles around. I made a mistake in the booking as I wanted to be close to the Gallagher Convention Center for an exhibition. Staff is nice and friendly, rooms are ok, but restaurant is not really a good deal. You can eat much better for less on other places, but it is difficult to get there as there is nothing around the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Andrew M, General Manager at Protea Hotel Samrand, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
04 April 2012

Dear GUEST,

Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay at Protea Hotel Samrand, it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our services and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve your next stay.

Your feedback regarding our restaurant, by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that we are always proud to offer. We endeavor at all times to ensure that our GUESTS experience full value for money for all our services.

We do offer shuttle services to our GUESTS, at an additional charge, to major centers around the area. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.

Kind regards,

Andrew Maluleke

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Rooms are very large and clean and tidy and they have local TV channels and Sky news. There is a kettle with coffee and tea, and a safe in the room. Nice shower though with good pressure.

This hotel is not a family hotel. If you need to be anywhere on business between sandton, midrand and pretoria areas then its OK as its equidistant. This hotel is nowhere near any public transport or cabs either. There are fields and industrial areas surrounding it, and its off the main highway so you can hear lots of traffic. You cant walk anywhere as its too dangerous and too far away. As there are no food and drink vending machines, the nearest place to get something light to eat or drink is the gas station complex about 5 minutes drive away just off the highway.

The breakfast is OK. The dinner is a very mediocre buffet at ZAR155 per person.

The 'free internet' WiFi is only 100MB per day, just enough to check your email and nothing else. The pay-for Wifi is expensive.

Room Tip: Get something away from the highway (noise) and on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This place is OK, but only if you paid little. It is really not up to the Protea Hotel chain's standards. Rule of thumb: don't pay more than you would pay for an old Road Lodge room.

On arrival, my room had cleaning chemical smells lingering in the air, and they made me sick. The hotel swiftly moved me to another room with no hassles.

However, when my brother checked out (in my absence), they requested payment, whereas the whole group booking has been paid for in advance. They did however back off after calling me to confirm that I'd already paid.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Andrew M, General Manager at Protea Hotel Samrand, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Samrand.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding our cleaning chemicals and billing issues, by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Samrand is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

This is the second time that I had to stay at this hotel and both times my experience were the same.
The ladies at the front desk are not friendly and defnitely not helpfull.
My TV did not work, my aircon did not work and my telephone did not work.
I reported it, and a very friendly maintenance guy came to fix my aircon. I reported the telephone the next morning again but when I checked out it was still not working.
Dinner was expensive for the variety we got and the food was cold.
Breakfast was cold and with very little variety.
I am defnitely not staying there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

This hotel is strategically located in Midrand, halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria. As I needed to be in both cities, this hotel suited me just right. This hotel offers more spacious rooms than hotels in a similar category and good value for money. Staff was efficient and friendly, room clean and breakfast adequate. The bathrooms have recently been renovated and I have noticed other improvements being made while staying here. I also discovered a shopping mall a mere 10 kilometers away that offers various dinning and shopping options.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

Stayed at the PH Samrand this past weekend and it really wasn't too bad at all. Stayed in one of the disabled rooms, which was more than ok. Room had a double bed, tv, tea/coffee making facilities and the bathroom had a bath and one of those showers in the bath, which might be a bit difficult for some disabled people, as there are no grab rails in the bath...

Yes, it's out in the middle of nowhere and not within walking distance of any shops and is in need of a good clean up and a splash of paint etc but it suited our needs just fine as we where only there to really have a place to sleep.

Be warned though, the buffet dinner is R105 per person and I don't think the food on offer was worth that amount of money....

The only snag we encountered was that the disabled parking bay is located opposite the room door but the ramp is can be blocked either by your own car or someone else who might park next to you... this we encountered on Saturday evening when wanting to go out, luckily my friend could move our car and we then had enough space to pass over the ramp into the car car...

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — General look
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Geneva
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

located in the middle of an industrial area, it a rather depressive place to be. Basic facilities, actually it is just a motel!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Protea Hotel Samrand? Share your experiences!