“Beautiful property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperor's Palace

You added Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperor's Palace to your Saves list
Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperor's Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   64 Jones Road | Emperor's Palace, Kempton Park 1620, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Kempton Park
Del Mar
“Beautiful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our travel agent made this reservation for us. We were traveling from Nairobi to Botswana, spending the night in Johannesburg between flights. We arrived there late and were so exhausted that we would have been happy to stay at one of the 4 hotels right at the airport. The Peermont is only about 10-15 minutes from the airport but the hotel shuttle stops at 3 other hotels first.

The hotel was beautiful and the brunch (which was included) the following morning was outstanding. The hotel grounds were perfect. If you have a couple days I would definitely recommend the hotel but if you have a quick overnight stay, I would suggest one of the airport hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed at virtually every hotel at ORTambo airport - and just a couple of weeks ago, added the d'Oreale Grande to that list. You see it described as being "at" Emperor's Palace. Which is a big casino on the airport grounds with shops, restaurants, even cafes attached. The stroll from the d'Oreale hotel to the casino is all indoors, maybe 2 minutes. I make the point that just having all the restaurants and energy so close at hand adds a real extra dynamic and can keep it from being an otherwise lackluster night at an airport hotel. Should say, too, that the hotel's own upmarket restaurant, Aurelia's, is probably the best of them all available to you during your stay.
Room was spacious - larger than ones I have had at the other fine hotels at the airport.
The casino has 4 hotels, in fact, all of them served by a free shuttle that is located at a point easy to reach from the Terminals. It has the unglorious name of Bus Terminal or Bus Station - but it is the place where you catch the shuttle. You can roll your baggage cart to it from the Terminals. A walk of 3 or 4 minutes. Peermont Hotels - the operators- also offer a chauffeur service that is reasonably priced and it might be a welcome sight - to be met when you come out of baggage claim from your long flight - and driven to the hotel. You can book online at www.peermont.com or ask your agent to do it for you.
So, for luxury, this is a good choice. I've also stayed at the least expensive of Peermont's airport hotels, the new Metcourt. A good choice for a lower budget - and also convenient to all of the features at the casino. Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We just got back from jo'burg and thought the emperor's would be one of the top places to stay based on what we read online.

pros: within 5 mins of airport. Free shuttle from airport every 20 mins to hotel and back. Excellent entertainment with casino, cinema (movies ~$6US), lots of places to eat with buffet dinners about $13US, events like stand up comedy and dance performances on usually on weekends, the buffet breakfast everyday is great; very fancy swimming pool and provision of day spa activity (quite expensive and not included in the overnight hotel fee). 2 mins from the room is the casino

cons: the room was terrible for the price that you pay. I have stayed in plenty of 5 star places around the world, but this room was very small and crammed. Also the guys at the conceirge organise taxis for you to go places which are very expensive. I needed to get to another hotel which I could have had a free shuttle to airport and then most hotels close to airport do free pickups from airport but the conceirge organised a prepaid taxi for me for 200rand which is a lot in Johannesburg.

Overall if you are not looking to spend a long time in the room, it is worth paying for the previlige to be close to all the facilities the emperor's palace has to offer. You definitely are not paying for the room. In hindsight, I recommend staying at one of the other hotels closeby that offers free shuttles to and from airport. So you can stay in one of those cheaper hotels, get a free shuttle to airport and then take free shuttle from airport to emperor's and repeat the trip back to get home. Each to themselves!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hillcrest, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed three nights at this hotel in September 2012. We had inadvertently booked the incorrect dates online, but this was swiftly resolved by Rex at the front desk. Our room on the 5th floor was everything that we expected, with a lovely garden view, and we had no complaints. The staff, without exception, were friendly and helpful. We only had breakfast in the Aurelia restaurant, but, again, we had no complaints. I had read one or two negative reviews on Tripadvisor, but we certainly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel, well-deserving of its five stars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here twice, once in early June for two nights, and again in early July for one night, as we criss-crossed southern Africa for a couple of months at the end of 12 months of travelling... The hotel was chosen by our agent for its proximity to the airport and free shuttle bus.

We first arrived at 6am after an overnight flight from Perth, Australia (on the first shuttle of the day - although it runs regularly during the day, it does not run overnight), and as noted by another reviewer, the hotel didn't really seem to be expecting us that early in the day, although they should have been. However, we did get two non-smoking rooms opposite each other within 15 minutes, so no big drama. Both rooms were of a good size, one with a sofa and armchair, both with more than adequate en suites. We had one of the same rooms when we stayed the second time. There were very nice toiletries, and several TV channels to choose from, but the rooms didn't really feel five-star.

We ventured out to one of the numerous restaurants in the complex for some breakfast, which is rather rambling and centred around the casino. The architecture is very grand and imposing, but all looks like a pastiche. Not unpleasant but a bit Disney... We had a very lazy day, sitting by the pool (not able to use it as it was closed for the season - a pair of geese were enjoying a swim though) and napping. We had a dinner in a different restaurant (charged to the room) and retired for a good night's sleep. On our second visit we ate in another restaurant and also charged it to our room.

Breakfast on both occasions was sumptuous, a vast buffet of almost any kind of breakfast food you can imagine. We did have to stop the staff whipping plates away before we had finished (bizarre), but otherwise the food and the service were good.

Wifi was complimentary and good, including in the bedrooms.

Staff at reception, however, managed to get our bills wrong both times we stayed (they were only for the dinners charged from restaurants elsewhere in the complex), bizarrely trying to charge us for the children's breakfasts the second time, even though we had quite clearly booked and paid in advance for a B&B rate. Disappointing, and stressful, especially the second time when our luggage was loaded onto the shuttle which then had to wait for me to sort out the bill. This sort of error rate (100%!) is not acceptable from a five-star hotel.

We would never have chosen to stay here ourselves, and would never pay the rack rate, but actually it was good for stopping over and was incredibly quiet despite being so near to the airport, so we got excellent nights' sleep both times.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My 11 hour flight from Australia arrived in Johannesburg at 0600hrs and I then caught the shuttle bus to the Peermont hotel chain jewel, the D'Oreale Grande, arriving at about 0630hrs. I have made my reservation online at their website and advised them I would be arriving at about 0600hrs. When I went to check in, they told me my room would not be available until 1500hrs, a wait of about 8 hours! I asked them what am I supposed to do in that time, since I advised them of my arrival time. They simply shrugged and were either totally confused or didn't care.

After finally getting to my room at about 1300hrs, I find that it is a tiny little cubicle, even though I booked a deluxe king room. There were no bathrobes provided in the room or slippers, basic stuff you expect to see in a 5 star hotel? The battery for the safe as also flat and when I advised them they said they would send someone to fix it but never did. It took 45 minutes for room service to deliver a chicken sandwhich.

The poor service is not just at Peermonts D'Oreale either! I stayed at their other hotel next door, the mondior, and that was terrible service too. I am not sure if it just South Africa in general, but the service from the staff at this hotel chain is embarrassing, they are lazy with no sense of urgency or customer satisfaction.

I then stayed at the Intercontinental OR Tambo, and recieved the exact opposite service from their staff, so clearly it is isolated at the Peermont chain. I dont know who rates their hotels, I would not be surprised if they have given themselves their own 5 star rating. If you are lookin for a quality hotel for the money that you pay, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel chain...