“Classy hotel within OR Tambo Airport” 3 of 5 stars

Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jones Road, Kempton Park 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Kempton Park
Nairobi, Kenya
“Classy hotel within OR Tambo Airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed at the Southern Sun ORT for a night - en route Cape Town. Decent hotel with very good facilities but I guess its 'transit hotel' status has taken some of its charm away. Staff were warm and it was lovely to see them celebrate one of their colleagues birthdays over breakfast with some of the hotel guests.

Bathroom is a bit small for a hotel of its class but that was compensated by a large wardrobe & storage space. The bed was heavenly. One of the sockets in my room didn't function. Breakfast was awesome if a little overstated.

Overall, a good hotel thats probably lost its soul and charm to the transit business.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Good Afternoon

Thank you very much for the feedback on Trip Advisor.

I hope we will be welcoming you back to our Hotel shortly.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Cape Town
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I booked a night in this hotel on our way to our final destination.

I browsed the site and tried to find directions from the airport to the hotel and it was not user-friendly at all. In fact- I obtained directions from a completely unassociated website. Once I had my map, I then tried to e-mail the hotel and obtain information about a pick-up. It took over a week to get a reply, and even then, it was clear from the replies that my e-mail was not understood. I finally gave up.

When I arrived at the airport there were no signs indicating which direction to walk in. My wife and I had to stop and ask for directions twice and when we arrived at the unmarked waiting area, a self-appointed marshall tried to walk off with my bags! Once I stopped him, I told him what we were looking for and we waited for the bus which transported us to the hotel.

The rooms are simple, no fuss and no frills- but what disappointed me was that for the price I was charged- something better than a tiny roundel of soap and 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of body wash would have been appreciated. (I do recall a measly shaving kit.) In any event, I had my own, but was left disappointed at the Southern Sun 'hospitality'.

Beakfast, on the contrary, was quite enjoyable. What was also nice was that reasonable sized bags could be brought into the eating area, but left at the entrance within eyeshot.

I do think that the final let-down was the 1% tourism surcharge that we had to pay on our way out. Yes- a whole 1%. We had booked and paid in advance so I would have though it simpler just to levy this to our booking. Really? All that effort for R15?

Overall- not in a rush to say here again. Totally let down by a major brand of hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon

Thank you very much for the contructive feedback on Trip Advisor.

Our Reservations Team was notified of your concerns and we will be looking into them to avoid future occurrences.

Let me take this opportunity and apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of this and further assure you of our commitment to always give you our valued guest the best service and good hospitality while staying in our Hotel.

Thanking you kindly for your support and patronage.

Kind Regards

Louis-Andre Botha

Revenue Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

one night following plane delay (buisiness trip)

Pro: close to.the airport but very silent room no noise from planes :) fair restaurant.

Con: bathroom looks old and should be renewed now (bath tube! ) Reception / lobby temperature quite low during winter.

• Stayed August 2012
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you very much for the positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

You'll be glad to hear we will be renovating 96 of rooms with Bathrooms in the next 6 months.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at the Southern Sun as a quick overnight spot on my way to Swaziland via Johannesburg. It was a very nice, well-kept, and friendly place with a great breakfast buffet and helpful staff. To be honest, I was so jetlagged after my eighteen hour flight from the U.S. east coast that I can't even remember what floor my room was on -- but it was modern, super-clean, and quiet. I usually refuse to stay at airport hotels (in the U.S., they always seem to smell of jet exhaust and are often noisy), but the Southern Sun was a pleasant exception to my rule.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed over @ the hotel for one night on our way to London. It was a very good stay with a great room. We had a very nice meal and was well rested for the 10 hour flight to London the next day. Free shuttle service from the airport to hotel and back, very efficient. Thanks for a great visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Nice hotel very close to the airport. We arrived in Johannesburg late at night, so the shuttle that runs to the hotel every 15 minutes was lovely. It is very conveniently located, and its only about a 5 minute drive from the airport. The hotel itself is clean, comfortable, the rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are large. We never tried the food and there was nothing but coffee and some cookies in the room, no minibar. The staff were very friendly. There is a business centre in the lobby and the wi-fi is very reasonably priced. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay, especially because of the reasonable price compared to other hotels in the area. Overall, it was a good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night before starting a safari trip. We arrived earlier than expected but they gave us a room no problem even though it was well before check in - much appreciated. There are not really any restaurants around the hotel (other than the airport) but thankfully the restaurant at the hotel is buffet style and has a lot of variety. The room service is also good (we just got a sandwich and french fries). Room was clean - nothing fancy, but a fairly comfortable bed and fine for a one night stay. If you have a shorter stopover (late night to early morning), I may recommend the Intercontinental as it is across the street from the airport. But the short shuttle ride to this hotel is no big deal.

One word of caution: you have to purchase wireless internet. It is cheap (like $10 USD) but you can either purchase it yourself online or at the front desk. We did it online and something got screwed up so we didn't have the access code even though we had already paid for it. The hotel could not do anything to help unless we purchased it through them at the front desk, so we ended up paying twice. Save yourself the hassle and just purchase at the front desk when you check in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis-AndreBotha, Manager at Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012

Thank you very much for the positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

I hope you'll visiting South Africa again in the not to distant future.

Have a loveloy day.

Louis-Andre

Been to Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel? Share your experiences!