“Does what it says” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Kempton Park
Melbourne, Australia
“Does what it says”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was a perfect place to stay close to the airport. When we landed in Jo'burg we were leaving the next day for Uganda. Being able to stay close to the airport was great. The friendly greeting when you arrive, excellent food and good comfortable rooms is all you need. You feel safe at this property. It is definitely a hidden oasis especially when you drive through the neighbourhood but the reviews on Tripadvisor are so true. Don't think twice about booking your stay here. We even returned for a second night during our trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was most pleased by this guesthouse for my one-night stay prior to an overland tour. Ina and Arthur, the owners, as well as their staff, went out of their way to make me feel at home. The airport transfers; the complimentary, unlimited WifFi, and engaging conversations at dinner were the highlights of stay. My only disappointment, however, was that they were completely booked after I returned two weeks later for a one-night stay and I had to find other accommodation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
montreal, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were looking for a family friendly, safe, reasonable guesthouse close to the airport on our way back from Kruger in order to catch an early flight out to Cape Town. We were leary of our pre-paid choice as we drove up to the gate but could not have been more pleased with our choice. Proof that you cannot judge a book by its cover, our room was fairly basic but the service sublime. Our hosts' children looked after our 2 year old, offered to cook us a BBQ dinner so we didn't have to venture out again, it was delicious home cooked fare and hit the spot perfectly. The pool, trampoline and pool table amused my daughter and we all had a sound night's sleep before an excellent breakfast and onward journey to CT.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We initially booked the Sunrock Guest house after reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor. The Sunrock Guest house certainly lived up to the reviews and really did exceed all our expectations. We were so impressed with the service that we ended up staying on three separate occasions during our two month Africa trip.

The owners, Arthur and Ina, have thought about the sorts of things that are important to travellers and they really do offer exceptional service. They have created such a friendly, safe and comfortable place that we thought of as a home away from home. The complementary airport pick up was really appreciated, the property is very secure, the rooms were really clean and comfortable (very comfortable beds!), the breakfast was great and the dinners they offered each night were fantastic value for money and delicious!

I think what really sets the Sunrock apart is the absolutely exceptional service offered by Arthur and Ina and their staff. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to help us have the best holiday possible, without being intrusive. For example, they took us and some of the other guests on a day trip with them to Pretoria - just because they were going and thought we might like to come. They drove us to and from the train station so we could easily go into Rosebank to shop for the day. I also had the unfortunate experience of getting a really nasty virus and they organised a Doctor for me and drove me to and from appointments, made sure I had food I could stomach and took me to the pharmacy.

I really can't recommend this place enough. If comfort, exceptional service and value for money are important to you - stay at the Sunrock! Thank you so much Arthur and Ina!

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our flight was delayed by 12 hrs so a very last minute booking. Literally seconds after the internet booking I had a call asking if we wanted a free airport pick up. I had booked a non refundable cancellation. We were then switched to another flight home so I assumed that I had lost the money. I cancelled the booking and then received an email to say that they were not taking the money. This was really unexpected and has never happened to me. I would thoroughly recommend this place as a people driven guest house and will definitely try and stay there if we return.

Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Arrived early morning, with child who had been sick all over both of us on plane. Room ready in spite of early check in, hot shower, clothes taken away for washing, breakfast waiting, and a warm welcome. It could not have been better. Only a one night stay, but a definite yes for next time I'm in Johannesburg.
Is probably better for those coming from or going to the international airport as its a bit far from the other attractions such as the apartheid or cradle of humankind museums. But the friendliness and warmth might just make up for this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had to overnight in Johannesburg between flights and didn't want to pay for an expensive airport hotel. This exceeded my expectations. It's run by a nice, efficient South African couple, and is located less than 15 minutes drive from the O R Tambo Airport.

My flight was over an hour late and the driver had not found me but they quickly sent him back to pick me up after I called. I was tired and had not eaten dinner, but the owner/manager had kept supper for me, then cheerfully helped me set up my wifi connection and find me a power adaptor. Made me feel like at home.

The property is very secure, with modern-style rooms and parking area in the back, more rooms and a dining and games room in the front, and a nice clean pool. The rooms are spotlessly clean and of decent size with a work desk and queen-size bed, and very quiet so you'll get a good night's sleep. One of the rules is "no noise after 10pm".

There is a nice buffet breakfast served in a common dining room, and the transfer to and from the airport is included in the room price. There is free fast wifi available. Rooms half the price of the airport hotel. Very good value. I'll be back here again when passing through JoBurg.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the property might be a bit quieter