“Bag-handler, Vincent, ROBBED me!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

You added Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner York & Gladiator Street | Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Kempton Park
Orlando, Florida
“Bag-handler, Vincent, ROBBED me!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My stay at Protea Hotel was fine until the bag-handler took our bags to hold for an hour and robbed my camera from inside my bag. HIS NAME IS VINCENT. He still works at the hotel because the manager did not want to find a new employee. They do not have cameras in the bag room. Vincent, is conniving. Do NOT let him touch your bags. The hotel service is decent, but none of the employees really have a good attitude at all. I will never return and neither will my friends or family...my memories from the end of my trip are gone forever because of this thief. He even told me that the camera was not in the hotel anymore because HE took it! THIEF! THIEF! THIEF! I would not leave anything in the room whatsoever...I am sure the room service workers are thieves also!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Amanbuh

Please allow me to express our most sincere apologies for the loss of your camera during your recent stay at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. The mere fact that this incident happened on the last night of your trip to South Africa is regrettable and certainly is not a reflection of how we treat our GUESTS. The investigation into this matter allowed us the opportunity to review our current policies and procedures pertaining to the safe keeping and handling of GUEST luggage. As a result we have, with immediate effect, ordered the installation of security cameras inside the GUEST luggage storage facility as well as electronic key access, which would give us better control over GUEST valuables in future.

Further to the above, I am saddened by the fact that I will not be able to give back the pictures you have captured of our beautiful country and the lovely places you have visited. Although we could not beyond reasonable doubt establish the direct cause of the disappearance of the camera, we certainly felt it necessary to take it upon ourselves to at least compensate you for the loss of your camera. If in any small way this gesture allows for you and your partner’s perception of Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport to change, I believe we have made some progress. At Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport our GUESTS’ comfort and safety are and will always be our most important priorities.

Once again, please accept our apologies for your disappointing experience at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should you require any further assistance.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Knysna, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Closed to the airport, we though it would be great to stay here after a 1300km drive to Jozi, next day to pick up friends arriving from overseas...
Check in was OK, no toilette brush so, read the from the previous guy and you understand.
After I phoned, they brought me the most horrible unclean brush...jucky terrible.....
We found out at 1:30am that the air on was off and did not work. Phoned room service and nobody could help. Room temperature for the night 27deg...! Not fun.....
The restaurant was great, super service, had a great steak - hanger - so staff did not knew what cut of meat it was.....all in all the restaurant super, hotel must be better managed!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear ThomasS

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay.

It is extremely disappointing to hear of your experience and please accept my sincere apologies; this is certainly not the standard of service we are usually so proud to offer.

I have taken note of all of your concerns regarding your room, Aircon, and housekeeping. It is embarrassing to hear of your experience and I have raised this with the relevant TEAM members.

I would like to assure you that we have already done the necessary investigations and carried out the needed disciplinary action regarding what had occurred to ensure that this does not happen again.

Once again I sincerely apologise and thank you for the feedback.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Close to the airport, well appointed rooms, nice dining and pool area. Great place to get a good night's sleep before the safari. Amazingly quiet and very helpful and friendly staff. Shuttle service runs regularly to the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear thindain

Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your recent visit to our hotel.

It seems that you had an all-round wonderful time at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport. We also have an incredible TEAM, who do their best to pay attention to every detail, from preparing delicious meals to ensuring that the rooms are fresh.

Your recommendation is appreciated and I hope to host you again in the near future

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I managed to pick up an executive style room off a discount website for one night. When I arrived the staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful, the transit to and from the airport (whilst on Africa time) was regular and easily available, the service within the restaurant was good, the food was good and the room was excellent. The facade of the hotel is cool, new industrial and the open plan communal area is a fantastic place to while away the time. For the cost of the room, I was exceedingly happy here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear YasminaGK

Thank you for posting such a favourable review on TripAdvisor.

We are continuously searching for excellence and it is great to know that we achieved this on your stay with us. Consistency is the name of the game and I will congratulate the TEAM on their efforts

The designers were very creative with the décor and the tires and crates definitely create that aviation feel.

Thank you once again for the feedback and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

2 thumbs up for whoever (or the company) did the interior design. Using old type red bricks, scraped parts of aircrafts, metal , bolts and nuts...That's why I say it's a heaven for aircraft lovers like me.
Rooms stylish and clean, bed matress very comfortable.front desk not so responsive. Downstairs in bar, enjoy the nice South African draft beer. ( I loved it) and then in restaurant, enjoy the juicy T-bone steak.

Cons: far from city center ( roughly 40 minutes- around 20 $ taxi one way)
The most important down side is that due to being neighbor with airport , they should have used double layer windows which they don't and on any take off or landing , you are awake.
This is the only place for improvement (Attention , Hotel management).
Can't say enough good about cool interior design of hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear AliRast

Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor.

The designers were very creative with the décor and truly wanted to capture the essence of what an Airport Hotel could be. Be sure to try out the flight simulator next time you stay with us.

I apologise for noise from the airport, I will look into this matter immediately to ensure that we sort out the double glazing in this specific room.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to show you true Protea Hospitality.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

From its location this hotel is clearly used as a stopover for connecting flights in and out of Johannesburg. You can see the hotel at the side of the airport as you fly into Johannesburg - but to get to it requires a shuttle bus (which runs every half hour) which takes about fifteen minutes. Because of this, once you get to the hotel you more or lass are stuck there. Food service took a long time to arrive and the entire hotel (inside and outside) was "bathed" in loud Musak! The room was strangely appointed with the shower and washbasin open to the bedroom albeit there was a curtain that could be drawn. Our room faced the airport and was quite noisy - certainly not soundproofed. There are other hotels much more amenable for the airport but they do cost more - so I guess it is a balance of cost versus amenability. We had been booked stay about ten days later on our return from the Cape but decided to cancel the booking and opted to stay at the better hotel (better in quality and better in location - literally two minutes from the airport).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gawieortambo, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Cfab

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor

Firstly, we would like to sincerely apologise for the disappointment you encountered on your recent visit due to noise. Your feedback is very valuable to us as it provides us with a true reflection of our service delivery and by no means echoes the high standard that The Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport is usually proud to offer.

Thank you once again for the feedback.

Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here a night coming from Upington in Northern Cape to catch my flight back to Europe on the following day. The hotel has a free shuttle bus each 30 min to take you to/from the ariport.

Staff was really friendly and helpful, they have a booth inside to organize day or half day tours so you can get to see few places in town before you depart.

The room was clean and comfortable and despite it is right in front of the airport the air traffic does not disturb your sleep. Reccommended if you are staying few hours in Joburg between plane and plane.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear dbdk

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such favourable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Our complimentary shuttle is perfect for the traveller passing through and we make it even easier with our scheduled times.

Friendly is definitely a word I like to hear when GUESTS are referring to our STAFF. Our search for excellence is on-going and your feedback will motivate the STAFF to continue achieving these high standards.

We look forward to hosting your again in the near future.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Been to Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport? Share your experiences!