“Only if you don't need customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

You added Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner York & Gladiator Street | Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Kempton Park
“Only if you don't need customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed twice within one week, not overly happy with the service. When checked in was advised breakfast and dinner was included. When I checked out I was told it wasn't and was told I need to pay. I refused as it was the check in staff members fault.

When we had a drink and a snack the afternoon of our arrival it took over 40 mins for our small meals to arrive even though we were the only ppl around. When it came to pay I had to wait another 5 minutes for the staff member to run around the hotel to find the other staff member with micros access card (very bad practice!!)

When I checked in the second time I was made to feel bad about the breakfast on the previous time as the hotel makes staff pay for mistakes!! I agreed to pay as a felt bad for the man!

This evening was crazy noisy, noise flows up the lobby and our room was right next to elevators. I had to go downstairs to ask check in staff to ask guests to keep volume down. The group had people signing and running down the hallways!! Duty manager no were to be seen.............

Won't stay again.......

• Stayed April 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Aussiebdub

GUEST feedback is vital to our on-going search for excellence and thank you for sharing yours with us on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies with regards to the confusion and miscommunication that occurred regarding the payment of some of your meals. This is unacceptable and not the standards we strive to achieve. I have already spoken with the Front Office TEAM to discuss your concerns and ensure that it does not occur again.

I must reiterate the same sentiment when it comes to GUEST service in the food and beverage outlets. We aim to provide the best GUEST service and it is unfortunate that this was not your experience.

We do our best to monitor the noise levels of other GUESTS in house and I will mention this to the TEAM for the future.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback directly and ask you to please contact me at gm@phortambo.com.

Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in November of last year for a quick 1 night stopover in Johannesburg before going to Cape Town. The hotel is extremely close to the airport and offers a free shuttle to the airport. Rooms were quiet and we never heard a plane, maybe because the room faced the other side and our room looked over their parking lot. Since there are no outside restaurants within the walking distance from the hotel, we tried their coffee shop restaurant and loved it. The food was excellent and fresh which made us happy after our 22 hour flight. The breakfast next morning was great too. The server was kind enough to come and offer us free champagne during the breakfast. It was a very nice touch. We loved staying here and would recommend it to anyone who want to be close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear shikhasf

Thank you for rating us 5 out of 5! It is great to read about your experience at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport.

There is no doubt that our location near the airport is of great benefit to those needing a comfortable hotel for a stopover; or even to conduct business in Johannesburg. Our shuttle that you mentioned goes to and from the airport and the Gautrain station is also nearby.

I am pleased that you were able to get some rest in your room, which was peaceful and quiet; even though you can see the planes from the hotel.

The food and beverage TEAM aim to deliver food and service to the highest quality and it means a lot to us to know that their hard efforts are making a difference.

Until you next visit to Johannesburg, we wish you safe travels.

Alexandria, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The International Drilling contractor has started booking us to overnight at the Protea Timba prior to our last flight to George in the early morning.
Personally I am delighted & my sentiment is shared by the others.

It is an intriguing hotel, definitely & decidedly different decor with a really nice pool area.
The Staff are about as friendly & helpful as possible. Very nice restaurant with excellent service & a goodly supply of cold beer.
The airport shuttle service was quick & efficient, but what is most impressive is the absolute cleanliness everywhere throughout the hotel.

Since we will be drilling gas wells in South Africa for the next 3 years, I am so glad the company decided to book us in this modern upscale very nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear J French R

Your delight is shared by the TEAM at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport with regards to your overnight stops. I am thrilled about your feedback that you posted on TripAdvisor.

The design and décor of the hotel is certainly different, which creates a unique experience every time. Complimented by the friendly and helpful STAFF, one can be sure to enjoy their stay, no matter what the occasion.

I will congratulate the cleaning TEAM on their meticulous efforts, which left a lasting impression for you.

Please pop in to my office when you are next here and I look forward to welcoming you back over the next few years.

Duesseldorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here only one night and it was great we had a nice Clean Room and the service of the Hotel staff is fantastic dont forget to try the Breakfast there is everything you can think about and take a look at the wonderfull Pool !

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special thanks to Owen for the special Service !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear B707

With ‘wonderful’ and ‘excellent’ in a title, how could I not be happy? Thank for your great feedback and for sharing it on TripAdvisor.

The STAFF never seize to amaze me with their positive attitudes and continuous efforts to offer the best GUEST service. I will definitely be congratulating them for their ongoing commitment and I will make a special mention to Owen.

Breakfast is important to kick start the day and I am very pleased that the Chef and TEAM offer such a wide spread of fresh produce.

We hope to see you again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Comfortable hotel close to the airport, for transit passengers, as I am when I use it, but still far enough away, even when you can see the planes. Staff are friendly and efficient and always there to assist.
The shuttle service to and from the hotel every 30mins, makes waiting at either the airport or the hotel easy and drivers are all friendly.
The bar and restaurant are a talking point of their own, what with bar stools made of air craft tyres piled up. There are air craft bits on crates all adding to the vibe.
I will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear geomun

Thank you for your review and for capturing the essence of our unique location near the airport.

The STAFF are the heart of the hotel and their friendly, helpful approach makes me very proud to be part of the TEAM.

We offer an experience from the minute you walk in the door, especially with the aviation theme that you mentioned.

I am glad that the complimentary shuttle was of use to you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I thought this hotel was fantastic, we just stayed here for 1 night to catch an early flight the next day. It's very close to the airport, in fact you can see it from the terminal. They provide a free shuttle service which we used to and from the airport and was on time with both journeys. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms very spacious with all the mod cons and nice flat screen TV. We ordered room service and the food was great. I can't recommend this hotel enough, the best airport hotel I've stayed in. Most airport hotels are usually pretty soulless but this place is great, and good value for money. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear LondonRomey

What a spectacular review and I am so proud of the TEAM for providing the excellent service we strive to achieve. Not only do we set ourselves apart with our unique aviation décor, but with the attention to detail which you experienced. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Being able to view the airport from the hotel and not be disturbed by the noise is a huge plus when using us for a stopover.

I am so pleased that our room service met your requirements and I will commend the chef & TEAM on their efforts.

We look forward to your next stay with us and hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Would definitely stay at this hotel again - great price, friendly staff and nice rooms.

As soon as we approached the front desk, we were met with Charles' beaming smile and greeting which made us feel at ease immediately. We knew we had made the right decision with staying at the Protea OR Tambo Airport Hotel

The hotel has an airplane theme and it's very well done with the decorations.

The evening buffet was very reasonably priced at R$150 with a decent selection of food items. It was also refreshing to receive a complimentary bottle of water at dinner. The waiters also seemed quite familiar with the wines and they have a very nice Pinotage available by the glass.

The beds were comfy and while quite close to the airport, it was not noisy at all and we slept well.

After a little snafu with leaving something at the room, the staff was also helpful in trying to fix our challenge.

Room Tip: We faced the airport and had no noise issues.