“One of the best ever !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport

You added Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner York & Gladiator Street | Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Kempton Park
Cairo, Egypt
“One of the best ever !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Well, my first impression was not very good for some reasons, however, they have taken a very quick corrective actions to make my stay pleasant and comfortable.

My check in was a little bit time consuming but as soon as they realized that they could correct this situation very quickly by offering a very special compliment which means that they really care about the customer which is their business.

Very special thanks to Lindia Mangels (GUEST Relations Manager) and General Manager, Gawie Nel for their caring and interest to make their customer EXTREMELY satisfied.

So, I'll look forward to stay here again and again and I advise and recommend others to stay here as well.

Regarding the room cleanliness, it couldn't be any better as well as the room services, the hotel staff are super friendly and informative.

Actually it was my first time in my life to stay at a room that is very close to the airport so it was a new experience for me and nice as well.

There's a free shuttle bus since the morning until 11:00 pm on daily basis from and to the airport, which means that if you wanna go to any of the airport restaurant at night for dinner it will be possible and will take only 5 mins.

They have a very very good gym, and I wished I could use it but I had no time for that.

Final conclusion is, it's a very good place to stay not only as a transit overnight but also for even one week as my case.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Khaledmaged

Thank you for posting such a detailed and positive review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport.

Meeting and exceeding GUEST expectations play an important role in our hotel and this is evident from your comments regarding the friendly STAFF and wide variety of services we offer. I will pass on your comments to the TEAM, who will be delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay.

We are grateful for your words of recommendation and look forward to your next visit.

Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Blantyre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having travelled for 14hrs from Australia and needing a hotel for one night close to the airport providing a comfortable bed but no airport noise I found that this hotel matched my needs perfectly. The staff are very friendly, the room I had though not large was very quiet, room service happy to please, and breakfast expansive and so value for money. The free shuttle a plus.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Sandra T

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Travelling can be exhausting and a 14 hour flight is no exception. I am so happy that Protea Hotel OR Tambo was able to provide you with everything that you required.

We know how important breakfast is and the TEAM will be delighted to hear your comments as it will only inspire them to do better.

I hope that the rest of your travels went well.

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

While travelling, our group had the pleasure of staying here on 2 different occasions. Being 10 minutes from the airport, it allowed for a longer night sleep - we had early morning flights. The beds were extra comfortable / the pillows had a nice smell. This breakfast buffet had the best presentation, the best variety and the best taste of all our South Africa hotels. The dinner buffet was good. We found the dining room too noisy - too much echo - to want to spend any time there. There is a nice, open concept bar and a nice pool area which we were not able to enjoy due to our schedule.
There was no noise from the airplanes. The noise was from the hallway. It really sounded like our door was opened whenever someone talked in the hallway. So,... be quiet, to respect others if you stay here.
We did not like the modern design of having the shower and sink beside the bed. Careful ... the shower floor and tiles in the room are a very slippery combination. Being from North Ameria, we were shocked not to find faceclothes - bring your own ! The room had everything else - from a large safe, hair dryer, nice toiletries, kettle, regular and decaf instant coffee. The electrical outlet was a large 3 round pin, similar to what we have for clothes dryer in North America.
We would stay here again because of the perfect location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear belleamie10

I am sure that you had a trip packed with lots of flights and early mornings. Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport is only too happy to have provided you with some well-deserved sleep during your visit.

Your compliments regarding our breakfast are appreciated; the Chef and TEAM will be thrilled when I pass on your feedback.

I apologise for the noise that you experienced and I hope that your sleep was not disturbed.

All in all, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you had a lovely trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night on 2 separate occasions in early October. As others have written it is conveniently located being only 5 minutes by small bus transfer from the airport. The ground floor decor is very nice and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. This was the cheapest accommodation we stayed at in our 3 weeks in Africa and it was reflected in the level of fit-out in the rooms. Whilst basic it was clean and more than adequate as we were only transiting and catching up on some well deserved sleep.
Our only complaint is related to our second night when we were given a smoking room. We complained and were told that all the non-smoking rooms were taken. We highlighted that we had booked and paid for non-smoking 3 months earlier and this was unacceptable. We were then told a non-smoking room would be available in 3 hours so we reluctantly said we would wait. In the absence of any real apology or offer of compensation I suggested free drinks in the bar would be appropriate and these were provided. To our pleasant surprise the room was available in around 30 minutes and was slightly larger than the one we had stayed in previously.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear SCS62

Thank you for staying with us during your recent expedition in Africa. We appreciate your compliments and have taken note of your concern.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused with regards to your request for a non-smoking room. I am however glad that the STAFF was friendly and helpful and you were able to get that all important sleep you needed. I would also like to let you know that we are in the process s of reducing the number of smoking room to create more non-smoking rooms for our GUESTS.

The TEAM hopes you have arrived back home safely.

Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed here on two different nights at the beginning and end of our visit to Kruger National Park, as we were flying in and out of JNB, mainly due to the hotel's proximity to the airport and good reviews here on TA. The location is a little tricky to find, due to the rather eccentric road layout in the local area, but there is reasonably good street signage within the last km or so. Once there, there's a large secure car park with free parking.

On our first visit, we arrived early ijn the morning (at approx 10:00) after an overnight flight from the UK. Although this was considerably earlier than the official check-in time, the front desk were able to get us a room with just a few minutes wait, which was much appreciated.

We really liked the quality and layout of the rooms, and the modern decor (even the "open plan" shower arrangement!). I would say that athough the rooms were very clean there were a few minor maintenance points that could/should be picked up (such as a toilet that was very reluctant to flush, loose towel rail and notice from the back of the door which had fallen off), however this did not detract too much from our stay.

The public areas of the hotel are quite a talking point - with the very innovative "aviation warehouse" theme on display throughout the lobby, corridors and restaurants. The gardens/pool area are surprisingly very pleasant to sit in with a cold drink, despite the proximity to the motorway and the airport on the other side of the fence. It's certainly an unusual experience to sit there watching the huge A380's maneuvering around their stands.

We ate in the restaurant twice and felt this was of mixed quality. The food was very good though prices are high by South African standards, no doubt reflecting the "captive market" among the hotel guests at this location (there's really nowhere else in the immediate vicinity). Service was variable to say the least. On our first night, the restaurant was quiet and we had a very friendly, knowledgable and attentive waiter who helped us choose an excellent bottle of wine to go with the meal. On the second visit, the restaurant was much busier and staff were also dealing with the tail end of a corporate function. Service on this occasion was sub-par, with our starters being "forgotten" and virtually all the wines on the menu out of stock - I just had the impression that the staff were overwhelmed. Our waiter was very apologetic however and we came to an amicable arrangement about these issues on the bill.

Overall we felt this hotel was fine for the price we paid and would certainly stay here again the next time we're passing through JNB.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors have great views of the airport (and the Boeing flight simulator next door).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Gordon2112

What a spectacular review. I am proud when I read your positive comments regarding the helpful STAFF as they are always aiming to exceed GUEST expectations. I will be congratulating them all on a job well done.

It is always fantastic to hear when GUESTS enjoy the aviation theme throughout the hotel. I am happy that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and tried out the flight simulator.

I would like to apologise for your sub-par experience during your second visit. It seems that we dropped the ball and I will be discussing this with TEAM to prevent it from occurring again.

We hope you visit from Petersfield soon and would love to welcome you back again.

Winchester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Protea Hotel at/near O R Tambo International Airport provided a quiet, comfortable room for an overnight before my continuing on to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe the next morning. An excellent buffet breakfast was included in room rate. I didn't use the exercise room, but did inspect it and found it to be fully equipped. There was a hair drier and a an electronic safe for valuables in the room. The room window had a view of the very large parking lot situated in front of the hotel. From the outside, the hotel appears to be gray and very dull architecturally, but, once inside the lobby and all public room are bright and attractive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear RAR1953

Thank you for posting such a positive review on TripAdvisor.

A good night’s sleep is very important, especially when in transit, and we are delighted that you found the rooms quiet and comfortable.

Starting the day with a wholesome breakfast is always a good thing. Our chefs continuously update menus and source fresh produce for the buffet. I will pass on your words of enjoyment to the entire TEAM.

We hope you are having an amazing trip in Zimbabwe and wish you safe travels home.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during our last 2 days in South Africa. The rooms are small but very comfortable. Our only complaint would be that it would be nice to have shower doors. However, the beds are extremely comfortable. We ate quite a few times at the restaurant. The lunch/dinner menu is fairly inexpensive and good. The breakfast is very good though kind of expensive - I believe 150 rand or so. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They helped us arrange a tour last minute and stored our luggage for us on our last day. This hotel is a great value. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear marimily1

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your way back home. I am so happy to hear that the rooms, especially the beds, were comfortable.

We place a strong emphasis on the high quality of our breakfasts, which boast a wide selection of hot and cold dishes to choose from.

Your comments about the ‘friendly and helpful STAFF’ highlight our on-going efforts to provide the best GUEST service.

We hope you have landed safely back home in Ohio.

Protea Hotel OR Tambo Airport

Been to Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport? Share your experiences!