“Super Accommodating!” 5 of 5 stars

Kempton Park, South Africa   |
New York City, New York
“Super Accommodating!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

BF and I were backpacking and stayed here for a couple nights before our first safari, a few nights between the first and second safari, and for a few nights again after that second one. The owner arranged pick up from the airport and also from the main bus terminal in joburg. He helped us out with finding a place to get our laundry done, and drove us to the shopping mall so we could get some personal business out of the way. He was super nice about holding onto our extra luggage while we were on safari, and even let us have packages from home sent to the guesthouse!

There's a kitchen and dishes for communal use, and breakfast of tea, coffee, toast, peanut butter, jam, bananas each morning. The rooms are normal, clean; comfortable beds. They have some dorm style rooms, and also private ones. My only problem was that it was so cold!! It was almost warmer outside the house lol.

But overall, a FANTASTIC place to stay. If you are a backpacker or are using joburg for your hub to start safaris, you won't be disappointed with this place. The whole family is super nice, and will help you out with whatever you need!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Booked the hostel after reviewing the testimonials here and thought it would be good. The linen was filthy, as well as the bathroom. Very poor breakfast and far from everything. Will be more careful next time

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stayed here for two nights on different dates. One only for a few hours (arrive late, left early) and another for about 24 hours.

Never stayed in a 'hostel' before so wasnt quite sure what to expect but for £15 each my expectation was set quite low.

The first night the room was relatively poor. Nothing wrong per-se, the bedding was clean, shower hot etc but since we were there only for a few hours, didnt really care.

The second night (return), we had a different room which actually was really nice. Decor was dated, as was that of the whole house but again bed was comfy and clean. Water was cold and my girlfriend attempted a bath with little success.

It should be noted that this was June/July and the weather in Jo'berg was cold, about 5C at night, so rooms were cold.

As a transition place, it was ok. Nothing that bad (but not that great either).

The owner (Rob?) is perhaps the nicest bloke we met. Couldnt do enough. Picked us up from the airport, free brekkie (toast/cereal), free internet, dropped us off at the Gau Train station etc. Think he made the difference between this place being poor and bearable. Although i think the whole house needs a lick of paint.

I was close to cancelling the booking for the second room and booking one of the airport hotels (at over $100 a night) but in a way. im glad i didnt.

This place is really close to the airport (you can see the parked planes from the road) but you dont notice the noise. Its also very close to the Gau (pronouced 'how') Train station of Rhodesfield and therefore a quick trip into Sandton and Rosebank for the market.

To finish, dont expect too much. Its cheap and cheerful and decent enough for a stop over. If you normally stay in hotels, dont book here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hasselt, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We booked a double en suite room. The decor was a bit old-fashioned, but the room and certainly the bathroom are huge. Despite this fact, we prefer a door/curtain between the room and the bathroom.

The owner is very friendly and the airport shuttle can be arranged after a short phone call.

The breakfast was a bit poor and consisted a choice of 2 cereal boxes set on the table.

It's a place for backpackers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
malonetravels2
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We have stayed here on two different trips to Africa one in 2007, the other 2009.

On one trip we stayed here three times, another four since we were traveling in and out of airport area on way to parks and other countries.

We like to cook our own food and for a reasonable fee one can get a ride to a modern shopping center where there is currency echange and come back to the old residential home use the kitchen. Otherwise, one can order in pizza etc. at reasonable times of the day.

On our second trip to JNB two years later it was so awesome to see Rob again at the airport and know that we were back with friends. When we came back from Zambia he took us to the best place at the airport to rent a car to go on to Kruger. Having worked in a couple of African countries he is a fountain of budget travel advice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Lagos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

This was the worst place I stayed on my trip around SA. I didnt research the hostel, and was swayed by it's advertisement of "free airport shuttle" and "free internet" and booked it in a bit of a rush.
I was picked up on arrival after spending 5 minutes using my UK mobile trying to understand where exactly I was to wait, the lady at the end of the line and I couldnt understand eachother.
It cost me 170 SAR for a dorm bed in a rather skanky room of metal bunkbeds. There was a stack of old blankets in the far corner for those without a sleeping bag. I had just come from Cape Town where Id been paying 200SAR per night for an ensuite single room in a lovely hostel. After viewing the bathrooms and the dorm at Shoestrings I decided I wouldnt shower, and instead I just lay down and tried to sleep.
The place just seemed dirty and had a very strange feel to it. It is apparent that no one would stay longer than one night, it really is just an absolute budget airport stopover.
Also when I was collected I was told I would have to pay 50SAR for my ride to the airport as I had to leave at 5am. So really Rob should advertise "Free airport shuttles from 6am" Very cheeky and left an extremely sour taste in my mouth. I was assured that if I booked a taxi it would cost 100 SAR, although I find that impossible to believe as the airport is so very close.
A couple in the dormitory enquired why a double room is the same price as 2 dorm beds and were spoken to rather rudely by Rob. I sensed then he has to deal with complaints on a regular basis if he charges those prices.
I think this hostel does well as many travellers, like myself, are arriving late and leaving early and not wanting to head into the centre of Jburg, but I noticed there were other accommodation options nearby the airport. Shoestrings is pure budget at inflated prices.
I would also add, if you are considering staying here enquire about the security measures in place as I didnt feel safe and was slightly nervous at who could enter the premises during the night.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

The hotel is very close to the hotel. It is ideal in case of short stopovers or just an over night stay. Pick up & drop facility is available. Credit cards are not accepted.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shoestrings Airport Lodge? Share your experiences!