“Average hotel but poorly run.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport

You added Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Exclusively for Guests in International Transit | Terminal A, O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg 1627, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #39 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Ladysmith, South Africa
“Average hotel but poorly run.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On the 1 April 2015, I booked a hotel stay online for a return trip to South Africa on the 18 June 2015, at the OR Tambo Transit Hotel.
But, as things happen, I had a slight change of plan and had to delay my trip by one day. On my way out of the country on the 12 May 2015, I stopped by the hotel to delay my arrival date by one day, in person, and was assured by the desk clerk that all was in order. Silly me, I should have asked for a printout.
When I arrived at the hotel on 19 June, I was met with surprised looks and informed that I should have arrived a day earlier as per my original booking! No change had been made although the clerk could see that someone had accessed the system. Despite my protestations, I ended up having to pay for another night in the hotel and I ended up forfeiting my original booking!

This is the second time I've stayed at the OR Tambo Transit Hotel and for the second time I've received disappointing service. It's starting to get rather tedious. Please surprise me with actual helpfulness next time?

Holding thumbs for the next visit, since I don't have a choice.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The 6 hour booking option is limited to daytime use only. In my opinion they would make more money should this option be at night when rooms are empty, but instead the rate doubles and drives potential customers away.

The room was clean however several lights including that of the toilet was defective and the air conditioning could not be adjusted. Upon reporting this I was informed I would be moved to another room as there was no maintenance personnel to replace the defective bulbs (Poor), upon returning from the shops the staff made no efforts to change my room

Front desk staff weren't very friendly and simply refused to issue a second internet voucher without purchase which is really not in line with international standards. In this way a review of the front desk operations is strongly recommended for this is the face of Protea Hotels and diplomacy sits at probably 80% of their job.

Room Tip: City Lodge Hotel opposite the terminal offers 12-24 hours accommodation for the price of 6 hours in...
  • Stayed July 2015, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed at the Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo for a single night during a long layover after 24 hours in the air. Was quite the relief to find a clean bed and warm showers. The room was acceptable- bed could have been more comfortable and the front desk could have been friendly but overall a decent stay.

Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed overnight 29th June 2015.Overpriced hotel room.I expected at such a price, everything would have been set up. I had to ask for very basic materials(Bathroom floor mat, the promised writing material for the business desk, shower cap, ...).Not comfortable at all, No refrigerator, Room cooling not functional, Have to close the toilet seat to get it to flush, Hot water is really tepid water, .....

• Stayed June 2015, traveled solo
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2015

I am a world traveler with over a million miles flown and I've experienced any where from a 1 star to 6 star. The hotel is nice, quiet, and very clean. 10 minutes from the airport with shuttle service include. I would def stay again for a quick layover. It's a small hotel but, its very clean and the customer service is great. I would recommend. I would give it a 4.5

• Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2015

Really? I didn't review this place already? It was a great little airport hotel which was oozing character (that's a good thing). So many hotels are boring. This was not, and it was the tired trendiness of a W or aloft. The breakfast was fantastic, with stunning airport views. I actually traveled earlier than July 2014, so maybe it has changed. I dunno

Stayed July 2014
Acton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2015

We stayed here for one night on our way to a Botswana/Zambia/Zimbabwe OAT trip. We got here pretty early (like 7 AM) and had the day to do our own one-day tour of Johannesburg. The hotel was helpful in storing luggage and actually got many of us into our rooms by 9 AM.

It was a very comfortable hotel, with a good restaurant. The only thing is that at dinner I wish we had realized they had a buffet before we ordered from the menu. The meal we ordered was very good, and we might have ordered that anyway, but we hadn't noticed. The breakfast buffet was very good. Even being near the airport it seemed to be pretty quiet.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Sunrock Guesthouse
Sunrock Guesthouse
#3 of 23 in Kempton Park
4.5 of 5 stars 780 reviews

Been to Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport? Share your experiences!