“Bad Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport

You added Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Exclusively for Guests in International Transit | Terminal A, O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Windhoek, Namibia
“Bad Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

In July 2014, me and my colleagues were travelling in a group, from my country to Sao Paulo, and we booked for a night as on our return journey we were in transit. Upon our arrival the rooms were not ready, dirty laundry, without clean towels. and when we requested we only received one. Just to mention at least me and my daughter shared a room, there were singles two different people from different towns and cultures which they expected to share one towel. After many complains we were assisted. The bathroom wash basin was blocked.The best part, I inquired about what will happen to our luggage as we are in transit and we are not allowed to collect them. The lady of the hotel told us they will see to it as it will go to SAA's offices and will be on the flight with us. Needles to say, my luggage got lost and I had to go through all the frustration. The only good thing I cannot complain about is the location. It is well situated in the airport, and no hassle to find.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This is a great hotel very close to the airport at Johannesburg. This was our first trip to South Africa, so we were a little nervous. The shuttle bus is easy to find and leaves every 15 minutes. The room was large with lots of room for our luggage - big comfy beds and great pillows. The bathroom in the bedroom was a bit odd but works very well. We could see the runway from our room, but couldn't hear a thing. Good restaurant and helpful staff. Would certainly stay again.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel very near to the airport in Johannesburg. The staff was very welcoming and our room was great. A little surprise was that the shower is in the bedroom along with the sink. There is a curtain separating the shower from the beds and it was new and modern. It just surprised us. The breakfast buffet was perhaps the best we have ever had. There was everything you could imagine and as much as you wanted. We were totally satisfied. There is a nice outdoor area for drinks surrounded by water and stepping stones to get to your couch and tables. Nice touch. Walking outside the hotel after dark was not recommended

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I can unfortunately not comment too much about this hotel, since I arrived relatively late at the hotel, and took off the next morning quite early. I do, however, have an opinion about this hotel, that I would like to share… and this is it:

POSITIVE POINTS:
First of all, this is a 3 star hotel, with a four star feeling, conveniently close to the airport. Excellent for a lay-over… but I would not recommend it for anything else… since it is isolated, with nothing within walking distance. Having said that… perfect for one-nighter. They have a good and reliable shuttle service.

Walking into the hotel, I got the feeling of being in an old factory. Very surprising to me, and very well set up. I liked it.

I must say it is spotlessly clean in every area I went to, and there is a bonus… the outside area in the back of the hotel… very pleasant for a few drinks to unwind after a long travel.

The rooms are not huge… but large enough, and well sound-proofed.

I don’t know if this is a positive point or not, but the shower area is in the same space as your room, with only a curtain separating the two areas. Toilet is set behind a closed door. I thought it was funny, and that is why I include this in the positives… however, I am sure that this could be awkward to others. I thought it funny and intelligent… my opinion.

NEGATIVE POINTS:
The bar and restaurant staff as very slow… slow at taking the order… slow at bringing drinks… slow at bringing the bill.

Elevator painfully slow.

Price... well, I would say steep for a 3 star hotel.

SUMMING UP:
This is all that I can contribute to this hotel, since I did not use the gym… internet or anything else than what I mentioned above. However, I did find it delightful… of course with these few points on the down side, that make room for improvement.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Perfect for a good night's rest if you do not want the hassle of going out in to the city. Perhaps a little expensive for what it is and considering that there are no other facilities than your room and wifi. Any food or drink must be sourced from the terminal which isn't as simple as it sounds - quite a long walk, food expensive and not great.

Also beware - if your bag is not checked in all the way to your final destination you will find yourself in difficulty! You cannot go through passport control, collect your bag and then go back to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Harare, Zimbabwe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had a 19-hours connection at JNB airport, so I decided to book a room at the 12-24 hours rate. Service at the reception desk was very good, room very clean, comfortable bed, TV and complimentary wifi. A room without window which is a little depressing, but maybe there are windows on the upper floor of the hotel.
I found it pricey especially if you compare with other transit hotels around the airport, but I couldn't bother to pass customs, etc... I had an early flight the next day, so, it was great to wake up and walk straight to the gate after a refreshing shower.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Spent my layover time in the hotel a couple of times. Rooms were very clean, well maintained and well equipped. Missed a minibar. Staff was always very friendly. If you happen to get a room at the end of the corridor it's quite a long walk... Free WiFi only for a very short duration. Afterwards you have to pay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport? Share your experiences!