“Convenience and Safety” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport

Save Saved
You added Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Exclusively for Guests in International Transit | Terminal A, O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #38 of 72 Hotels in Johannesburg
Perth, Australia
“Convenience and Safety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is so convenient: A high quality hotel right in the airport.
Lets face it, Johannesburg isn't the safest place in the world. Better option is to stay in the security of the airport for that layover, rather than venture out and get mugged (or worse).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear here369

What a lovely review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the convenience of our location.

Offering high quality facilities and service is exactly what we strive for and your feedback assures me that we are on track. Safety of GUESTS and their belongings are important to us at Protea Hotels so that their stay is relaxing and comfortable.

We wish you safe travels.

Protea Hotel Transit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I thought I was still on the plane when i was in this room, it was so noisy. The room was smart and could have been very nice, but for the noise and the smell in the bathroom. I was in transit for 11 hours and could not sleep at all. I was pleased that this hotel was available, but if all of the rooms are this noisy, then i will never stay there again.
We where told there was only one towel in our room and that they would deliver an extra one, it never turned up.

Room Tip: Keep out of room 344
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim H

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay.

I understand the importance of rest during transit and I apologise for your discomfort. The Airport generator is located near the room you stayed in and we have reported this to them. I am pleased to let you know that this issue has been resolved.

The smell in the bathroom is unacceptable and we have made sure that all the drains go through a deep clean to remove the smell.

Your comments regarding the smart room are appreciated and we hope that when you next stay with us, we are able to show you true Protea Hospitality.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed over night (on two separate occasions) while transiting to catch another flight. Hotel is right in the terminal and is fine enough for stop over. Only problem is, the airline wont let you collect your boarding pass until a few hours before so you still have to walk through back through security to collect it, so you still need to get up a little earlier than you would want. Not the hotel's fault but still annoying. Would stay here again when going back through Joburg.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matthew_benson83

Thank you for your review of Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport and staying with us twice whilst in transit.

Being located within the terminal is definitely advantageous for GUESTS with a long break between flights. Some well-deserved rest and relaxation in the comfort of your own room is beneficial.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night at this hotel. The room is large. Nice shower and sep toilet. The bed is large and very comfortable. All the linen and fittings are good quality. There is no window and the room is well sound insulated. Its convenient to the gates and shops. Surprisingly good stay.

• Stayed June 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Alwrighty

What a fantastic review and thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

A spacious room and comfortable bed to catch up on some sleep is exactly what one needs when in transit. I am so happy that the room and its facilities were to your liking and that you benefitted from the insulated rooms.

Having the various airport restaurants and shops close by definitely helps as well as having easy access to all the gates.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The bed, shower and room were all good. However, when we checked in we were told that towels would be delivered soon. This was unwelcome because we were at a transit hotel and wanted to get some immediate rest. After waiting approximately 30 minutes, I went in search of someone to provide the towels so that we wouldn’t be disturbed later. I succeeded in getting the towels, informed the person of our room number, and placed the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door. Soon after, there was a knock on the door and the offer of towels. Given that this is an airport transit hotel catering to very tired people seeking sleep at all hours, I suggest that the front desk does not send guests to a room that is not 100% ready and that staff are trained to respect the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear aroundthenextcorner4

Thank you for your review and sharing your feedback with us.

Our location within the international transit area is definitely a plus for travelers that have a short layover. There is no doubt that a comfortable bed and hot shower are a must to relax and freshen up before the next leg of the journey.

I am truly sorry about the inconvenience caused when it came to the towels. This is completely unacceptable and I will like to assure you that we have recently employed a housekeeping supervisor who will focus on training and GUEST service.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and had a safe journey.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Excellent stay at the hotel for sleep quality and to refresh.
There are no amenities at the hotel, the only things you get are a very nice room with an amazingly confortable bed (just what you need) a nice modern shower and coffee making facilites.
Very close to the duty free area where you can shop or feed your stomach.
Check in staff very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear cuttingsguy

Thank you for your wonderful review and ‘5 out of 5’ score on TripAdvisor.

Long waiting times and overnight transits add to the exhaustion one already has from the flight. Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport aims to provide a comfortable room for GUESTS to freshen up and catch up on some rest. I am so pleased that you found our amenities to suit your needs during your stay.

With the multitude of restaurants and shops in the airport building, Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport provides the base for the perfect transit experience.

I will commend the STAFF on their friendly and efficient work ethics.

We wish you safe travels.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had a overnight layover in the airport, and somehow decided I'd be fine just wandering around the airport the entire time (that was not the case, as the airline wouldn't check my luggage in until the next day). I also thought people in official airport outfits were official airport people. They were not. I had a lot of jet lag. Anyways, after being basically robbed, it was very nice to find an open room at this hotel, especially as my flight out was so early. The room was great, the bathroom wonderful, I felt completely safe while there (I'm a female, typically travel alone, and after unpleasant airport experience, was nice to feel like I was in a little oasis). I enjoyed the restaurant/bar- took my kindle, had some wine, and while the menu was limited, I did find something to suit me (I'm usually vegan). I had no problem with check in or check out, even though it was at peak times, they seemed to understand everyone had a flight to catch, and the staff was incredibly efficient in processing people. I would definitely stay here again, or recommend it for anyone in transit. If you are unfamiliar with the airport, there are large painted arrows pointing the way to hotel, so it's very close to the terminals. Definitely take advantage of this. True, it's more expensive than most South African prices, but definitely worth it for easiness and peace of mind, and the ability to be less than 5 minutes from check in for your flight the next morning. Plus, my bathroom was really really nice- considering I was going on a camping safari, it was nice to have one last warm shower before embarking upon my quest! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Alicia C

We appreciate your positive feedback and recommendations of our hotel after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport.

I am thrilled to hear that you received the fast and efficient service that you required from our STAFF and I will be sure to commend them on their efforts.

The nearby restaurants do offer variety and do their best to accommodate GUESTS where possible. The fact that you felt safe and had found your little oasis before your safari trip is lovely to hear.

I hope you enjoyed your safari and got to see plenty of wildlife.

Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport

Been to Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport? Share your experiences!