“All about the location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport

You added Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Exclusively for Guests in International Transit | Terminal A, O.R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg 1627, South Africa   |
Ranked #37 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Ottawa, Canada
“All about the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The bed, shower and room were all good. However, when we checked in we were told that towels would be delivered soon. This was unwelcome because we were at a transit hotel and wanted to get some immediate rest. After waiting approximately 30 minutes, I went in search of someone to provide the towels so that we wouldn’t be disturbed later. I succeeded in getting the towels, informed the person of our room number, and placed the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door. Soon after, there was a knock on the door and the offer of towels. Given that this is an airport transit hotel catering to very tired people seeking sleep at all hours, I suggest that the front desk does not send guests to a room that is not 100% ready and that staff are trained to respect the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear aroundthenextcorner4

Thank you for your review and sharing your feedback with us.

Our location within the international transit area is definitely a plus for travelers that have a short layover. There is no doubt that a comfortable bed and hot shower are a must to relax and freshen up before the next leg of the journey.

I am truly sorry about the inconvenience caused when it came to the towels. This is completely unacceptable and I will like to assure you that we have recently employed a housekeeping supervisor who will focus on training and GUEST service.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and had a safe journey.

Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Excellent stay at the hotel for sleep quality and to refresh.
There are no amenities at the hotel, the only things you get are a very nice room with an amazingly confortable bed (just what you need) a nice modern shower and coffee making facilites.
Very close to the duty free area where you can shop or feed your stomach.
Check in staff very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear cuttingsguy

Thank you for your wonderful review and ‘5 out of 5’ score on TripAdvisor.

Long waiting times and overnight transits add to the exhaustion one already has from the flight. Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport aims to provide a comfortable room for GUESTS to freshen up and catch up on some rest. I am so pleased that you found our amenities to suit your needs during your stay.

With the multitude of restaurants and shops in the airport building, Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport provides the base for the perfect transit experience.

I will commend the STAFF on their friendly and efficient work ethics.

We wish you safe travels.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had a overnight layover in the airport, and somehow decided I'd be fine just wandering around the airport the entire time (that was not the case, as the airline wouldn't check my luggage in until the next day). I also thought people in official airport outfits were official airport people. They were not. I had a lot of jet lag. Anyways, after being basically robbed, it was very nice to find an open room at this hotel, especially as my flight out was so early. The room was great, the bathroom wonderful, I felt completely safe while there (I'm a female, typically travel alone, and after unpleasant airport experience, was nice to feel like I was in a little oasis). I enjoyed the restaurant/bar- took my kindle, had some wine, and while the menu was limited, I did find something to suit me (I'm usually vegan). I had no problem with check in or check out, even though it was at peak times, they seemed to understand everyone had a flight to catch, and the staff was incredibly efficient in processing people. I would definitely stay here again, or recommend it for anyone in transit. If you are unfamiliar with the airport, there are large painted arrows pointing the way to hotel, so it's very close to the terminals. Definitely take advantage of this. True, it's more expensive than most South African prices, but definitely worth it for easiness and peace of mind, and the ability to be less than 5 minutes from check in for your flight the next morning. Plus, my bathroom was really really nice- considering I was going on a camping safari, it was nice to have one last warm shower before embarking upon my quest! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Alicia C

We appreciate your positive feedback and recommendations of our hotel after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport.

I am thrilled to hear that you received the fast and efficient service that you required from our STAFF and I will be sure to commend them on their efforts.

The nearby restaurants do offer variety and do their best to accommodate GUESTS where possible. The fact that you felt safe and had found your little oasis before your safari trip is lovely to hear.

I hope you enjoyed your safari and got to see plenty of wildlife.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Protea at JNB is exactly what i want in a transit hotel: walk from the plane to the hotel (no endless shuttle-bus wait), quiet room, decent room service, departure lounge shops and restaurants are a few steps away, The room was clean, the water pressure good, and the check-in/check-out process very smooth. This is not a tourist hotel so I can't understand the reviews whining (whinging) about the views. The purpose is to sleep, shower, eat, and move on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Marco20009

Thank you for your words of recommendation that you mentioned on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo International Airport. We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF.

Your description of our convenient location, efficient service and sufficient nearby facilities is exactly what we pride ourselves on as a transit hotel.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Hotel is nothing like it is presented "oasis for travelers" . I have stayed at the Protea hotels before and had pleasant experience. But this transit hotel is terrible. No mini bar, poor quality TV and the he rooms are like dog box with no window. I had a 9 hr stay over and should have gone elsewhere. There was no restaurant or bar in hotel and I had to have 2 meals, but the only restaurants was back in the airport. WiFi was not free after 100mb so had to purchase online.

Room Tip: Go to a hotel outside the airport complex.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Spinksy67

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and bringing your concerns to our attention.

Due to the nature of our location, we pride ourselves on offering quality rooms for GUESTS in transit to freshen up and get some well-deserved rest. There are a wide variety of restaurants in the Airport itself, which are all within minutes’ walk.

I apologise that you found this unacceptable and that the 100mb free Wi-Fi was not to your satisfaction.

Your feedback is valuable to us and assists us with our continuous search for excellence.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly and you can email me at gm@proteahoteltransit.co.za should you wish to do so.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A lovely transit hotel, great rooms ( a bit less quality thou than other protea hotels though), very convenient if you are on transit , however I have to say that last time it look me more than an hour to check in, there were more than 20 people and only one person checking everyone in! It would have been more time efficient actually go out and stay at one of the hotels around the airport. It took me all in all 2 hours to get to my room since my flight landed with all the queues at the hotel and passport & security checks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear engy a

Welcome back to the Johannesburg and thank you for visiting Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport.

Your comments regarding the check-in process are very concerning to hear as this is not the standard that we are usually proud to offer. Please be assured that I will be addressing the issues raised with TEAM.

I look forward to your next visit and speedy check-in to your room.

Sanur, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I use to stay every 2 months when travelling back home. My connection flight is over 16 hours and I have to spend the night there. Rooms are big and clean, bed is very comfortable, staff is very helpful and nice (it depends how you treat them of course). 100 MB of internet traffic for free is always well accepted, but in my opinion the quota is too low.
Very good position in the transit area, so no need to pass the Customs and check in.
The price is little bit too high for SA standard, but I guess you will spend more if you take a taxi and you go to another hotel nearby.
Restaurant and snack bar in the airport have good quality food (but not so many choices) and good prices.
I do not want to change this hotel with another one around the airport. For a traveler is a very good option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear DavideBali

Thank you for your continuous support of Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport.

Offering friendly and efficient hospitality is of high importance to us. We also understand the importance of getting some rest before departing for the next leg of your travels. I am happy that your room and bed was to your liking.

We hope to see you again in the next 2 months.

Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport

Been to Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport? Share your experiences!