“A Bit of Tranquility” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Peech Hotel

You added The Peech Hotel to your Saves list
The Peech Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 North Street | Melrose, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct Discount
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
San Francisco, California
“A Bit of Tranquility”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

A very nice property in Johannesburg; the grounds are very well kept up. Enjoyed a few hours out in the garden reading and meeting Peeches the cat. James, the owner, was very nice and seemed very interested in making out stay pleasant. The restaurant is good and the staff was very willing to accommodate the vegetarians in the group. My only regret was not asking for a room in the one of the bungalows - we stayed in the main building above the reception and it was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the bungalows on the property. We stayed in the main building in a room ab...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us and I am pleased you had a good stay. We try to minimise the noise disturbance from the reception to the main house rooms but we will redouble our efforts. Kind regards, James Peech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our company has just run a full week of training courses at the Peech Hotel and it has been nothing but special. The conference room is small and intimate, well proportioned and well equipped for small groups (up to about 12 I would say). There is a calm ambiance that many people in the course remarked on. The Peech Hotel is a beautiful and lush oasis of peace.
The service was impeccable. Not pretentious but sincere genuine marvellous service! The food was also really exceptional - each day we had a new menu with a choice of starters and mains - and each day the variety was fresh and interesting. I loved it all - but a great hot was the club sandwich which was very substantial - and in one person's words 'the best club sandwich in Joburg'! The morning pastries were perfect. The mod morning smoothies - to die for, lunch was exceptional - and then to crown it all, at tea time they served us a whole freshly baked cake! We werent at the Peech to eat delicious food - but the ambiance, the quiet attentive, classy without being pretentious service, and the setting all made for a wonderful experience for everyone attending the courses.
In addition, I lost my cell phone while I was there - or at least I thought I had. I called the hotel in a panic and the whole team moved heaven and earth to find my cell phone. They even went to the effort of downloading video from security cameras to help me retrace my steps. They called me to let me know what they were doing. Finally they suggested that I check the inside of my car - where indeed it lay as it must have fallen out of my pocket. I called to let them know and the next morning when I arrived at the hotel every member of the staff asked me if I had found my phone. What impressed me was the very real and genuine concern they had for me and the attitude that they would do anything to help em find it!
Thank you all so much for a memorable and enjoyable and productive stay. We will definitely return in the new year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am delighted you had a good conference and that your phone turned up ok in the end! Kind regards, James Peech
Lake Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I spent one night here - and wish it had been longer. This is a wonderful haven, run really well, with good helpful staff and beautifully appointed rooms. Everything about this little haven is delightful and restful. The only down side is that the metal stairway to the room above us was noisy and the person was up and down the stairs late at night and very early in the morning. The meals were delicious and the choice was really good. It is very obvious that there is a lot of love and care that is put into running this Hotel. We were sorry that we could not have had a couple of extra days to enjoy this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words - I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us... I am also interested to hear about the stairs - we've been searching for a while now for a product that will soften foot noise on them but will re-double our efforts! Kind regards, James Peech
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We came back again - the hotel is clean and more minimalist in design than the similar range The Residence, a lot more restful on the eye and we'd probably stay here again instead. The grounds are extensive and you walk along a path through a garden to get to your room which gives a lovely sense of peaceful space which Jo'burg doesn't always offer...

The bistro is nice, the staff are pleasant - as we noticed last time, there is a slight pressure on you to tip (last time we had two porters carrying our (very light) bags which was unecssary; the breakfast is included in the room rate, but they still print you off a slip, presumably so you can tip the watier which is fine but a bit unusual, particualrly when it's a buffet so you're getting your food yourself and most places just take your room number if you don't have to pay for breakfast). We understand it's more common in SA to tip than at home but we've been to the country a number of times and this is definitely the hotel we've noticed it the most.

We haven't ever used the pool area as it was chilly but looks very nice. It's in a good spot and you can walk to Melrose Arch Mall, and after a while in JHB you do feel like walking! A nice hotel in a nice area and the staff at the front desk were helful in arranging tours and transfers and we'd happily recommend the hotel to anyone staying in Johannesburg. Also do a tour with Kearan from Queenie Tours, he's an interesting guy!

Room Tip: See if you can get one of the upstaird Garden Rooms, they're really lovely and you get your own...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I have noted your comment about tipping and will address it promptly. We believe that tipping, whilst common in South Africa, should really be for exceptional service and not everyday tasks and I think we let you down there. I will be on the case to correct this! Kind regards, James Peech
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We loved our stay at the Peech hotel. We stayed as a quick one night layover after our flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg. We left the next morning for another flight to a game reserve near the Kruger so it was a brief stop. The rooms were very large, the staff were extremely pleasant, and the food at dinner and breakfast was amazing! The beds were also very comfortable. The heated towel rods in the bathroom was a big hit for the wife. The only problem we had was that the hotel is near the Melrose Arch area so its a bit of a drive from the airport if you have an early connection the next day but for us, it was worth the extra time to get there. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the review! Kind regards, James Peech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed five days during the business trip to Johannesburg.

Hotel is very clean. Located at the safe and convenient location.

Staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Hotel provides inexpensive taxi. Taxi charge cab be included in the hotel bill.

Don't forget to visit the Office bar in the Greenside area.

• Stayed September 2013
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed staying with us and we look forward to having you to stay again. Kind regards, James Peech
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Peech after arriving in Johannesburg at that start of a South African holiday. The hotel is stylish and comfortable; the staff friendly and helpful; and the food is excellent. The hotel is a safe bet for anyone wanting a small hotel that's just a little bit different.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to pass them on to the team. Kind regards, James Peech

Been to The Peech Hotel? Share your experiences!