“The only place to stay in Jo'burg” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peech Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Peech Hotel to your Saves list
The Peech Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 North Street | Melrose, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Old, United Kingdom
“The only place to stay in Jo'burg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I first stayed at the Peech about five years ago a few times. I have just made my first visit to SA in four years and as always picked The Peech for the Jo'burg leg of the trip with my family.

Nothing much had changed (other than the prices!) since my last stay. Excellent large rooms, lovely bathrooms, beautiful well cared for grounds and friendly helpful staff. Airport pick up worked fine, as did the drop.

One of the things I really like about this place is that it's small so you get a more personal touch. This was exemplified for us at breakfast the first morning when the waiter (Bastar I think) said,Ahh, you've been before when your son was much younger. A great memory and nice to be remembered after so long.

I can't recommend this place enough, a fantastic antidote to bland samey chain hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
I am delighted that you found us again after so long and thank you for your kind words. I will pass the message along to our team. Kind regards, James Peech

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Peech is a peach of a place! Located in a quiet neighbourhood, the Peech proves to be a tranquil oasis in a very busy city. I stayed here for a weekend following a busy three-week work trip to Durban and Cape Town. The Peech is the perfect spot to rest, relax and recharge your batteries. The grounds are lovely, and the rooms spacious and very comfortable. The staff are friendly and oh so helpful, securing rides and doing anything needed to make your stay special - all while making you feel special and well looked after. Special mention must be given to the kitchen. The food at the Peech is supurb. I enjoyed the creative breakfasts (not your typical continental fare), delicious dinners (with a great wine list), and even a lovely lunch, where I enjoyed the best burger I have ever eaten. The prices are very reasonable, especially when you consider the quality. The guest rooms are large and comfortable, with lots of windows and even a little patio. The bathroom has both a rain shower and large bathtub, great for soaking after a long day out shopping or visiting the Apartheid Museum. That this is an eco hotel is a bonus, and I loved their commitment to local artists featured throughout the property. Thanks also go to the lovely Ben, the friendly driver who saved the day when my tour provider failed to show up. I would recommend this hotel without hestitation, and look forward to staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: Take advantage of their special rates that include breakfast and dinner, as the food in the Bistro i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to pass them on to the team. Kind regards, James Peech
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at The Peech for one night at the end of our 18 day Sth African trip and we wish we could have stayed longer. The staff were very friendly and helpful and happy for us to have a late checkout as we had a late flight. We were able to squeeze in a Soweto tour, lunch and a quick swim before heading to the airport. The food was great, large clean rooms and lovely gardens. We will return to the Peech and next time it will be for a few more days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to tell the team & we look forward to seeing you again next year. Kind regards, James Peech
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We only stayed for one night in this nice small hotel who are aiming to be as Eco-friendly as possible (recycling, solar, water capture etc) but without the need to ram their commendable efforts down your neck.

The rooms are large and airy with a large bathroom to match.

The Restraurant was a real surprise. A small menu ensured the food was well prepared and extremely tasty. The staff were attentive and helpful.....even giving our safari driver a free coffee while we sorted ourselves out!

Yep - a real find.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to tell our kitchen staff your comments on their food. Kind regards, James Peech
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We didn't expect to find a little hide-out sanctuary in the middle of bustling Melrose. The food was excellent at the Bistro. We enjoyed the steak and the fish was prepared beautifully :-)

We had a leisurely weekend break, a stone throw away from home without dealing with traffic or dirt roads. The focus on green tourism was also very positive. Keep it up.

• Stayed October 2012
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments & I am delighted you felt the bistro food was good. Kind regards, James Peech
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Peech is just that a 'peach' of a hotel in a very convenient location! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and it certainly won't be the last. The level of attentive & personal service was second to none, thank you for my decaf soya cappuccinos! Breakfast was delicious with a lovely selection, which we enjoyed outside in the sunshine. I have to confess I did become quite attached to my daily chat and cuddle with Peaches the cat. The garden room we stayed in was well laid out and had everything we needed including an adapter for our UK plugs :) Thank you for making our stay so pleasant!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Colette, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to tell the team and 'peaches'! Kind regards, James Peech
Living across the world!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The first thing I point out about The Peech is their outstanding kindness! We spent three nights at intervals between flights and trips, and the Peach was our base. Each time we were back we had a different type of room so we got a chance to try all kinds and I strongly advise the Garden Rooms on the second floor. Whilst the suites are an ode to modern design & style and they are not so much more expensive, perhaps it is not worth spending more money when the upper floor garden rooms are spacious, stylish and have the same wonderfully large bath tubs! Each time we were back the staff welcomed us as family and helped us with the organization and logistics of our next breaks: from there we went to Pilansberg National Park, visited Jo'burg & the Lion Park and we even flew over to Zimbabwe&Zambia for a couple of days to see the Victoria Falls. Some parts of our stay we had organized independently and other trips they helped organize for us at reasonable prices.

Moreover, the reason I can undoubtedly insist on the staff's professionality and kindness is that one day I was sick which feels awful when you are stranded away from home and they really showed the maximum kindness and availability. They went out of their way for us and were flexible to suit the circumstance and offer their additional hospitality which is in the true spirit of a boutique hotel where the service is tailored and cut to suit each client's needs!

The restaurant is very good, and I particularly recommend the eggs benedict in the morning which are done perfectly!

Another pleasant surprise was the hotel has access to a next-door fitness center which is awesome because it is a huge, professional gym with an olympic pool - not like hotel gyms : ) When I say next-door, it literally is adjacent to their yard so you walk two minutes and get in as long as you want with the discounted daily pass that the hotel may provide you with.

Finally, when you book the room I advise you to buy also their airport transport because it is priced fairly and the one time I was stubborn enough to try the normal airport taxi I spent slightly more money and hadn't I known the way the taxi driver would've even gotten lost!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms are pretty, and the ones upstairs with their high ceilings are nicer than the ones down...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm delighted we looked after you so well and will be sure to share the review with everyone here. Kind regards, James Peech

Been to The Peech Hotel? Share your experiences!