“Wish we had more time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peech Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Peech Hotel to your Saves list
The Peech Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 North Street | Melrose, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Melbourne, Australia
“Wish we had more time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at The Peech for one night at the end of our 18 day Sth African trip and we wish we could have stayed longer. The staff were very friendly and helpful and happy for us to have a late checkout as we had a late flight. We were able to squeeze in a Soweto tour, lunch and a quick swim before heading to the airport. The food was great, large clean rooms and lovely gardens. We will return to the Peech and next time it will be for a few more days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to tell the team & we look forward to seeing you again next year. Kind regards, James Peech

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We only stayed for one night in this nice small hotel who are aiming to be as Eco-friendly as possible (recycling, solar, water capture etc) but without the need to ram their commendable efforts down your neck.

The rooms are large and airy with a large bathroom to match.

The Restraurant was a real surprise. A small menu ensured the food was well prepared and extremely tasty. The staff were attentive and helpful.....even giving our safari driver a free coffee while we sorted ourselves out!

Yep - a real find.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to tell our kitchen staff your comments on their food. Kind regards, James Peech
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We didn't expect to find a little hide-out sanctuary in the middle of bustling Melrose. The food was excellent at the Bistro. We enjoyed the steak and the fish was prepared beautifully :-)

We had a leisurely weekend break, a stone throw away from home without dealing with traffic or dirt roads. The focus on green tourism was also very positive. Keep it up.

• Stayed October 2012
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments & I am delighted you felt the bistro food was good. Kind regards, James Peech
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Peech is just that a 'peach' of a hotel in a very convenient location! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and it certainly won't be the last. The level of attentive & personal service was second to none, thank you for my decaf soya cappuccinos! Breakfast was delicious with a lovely selection, which we enjoyed outside in the sunshine. I have to confess I did become quite attached to my daily chat and cuddle with Peaches the cat. The garden room we stayed in was well laid out and had everything we needed including an adapter for our UK plugs :) Thank you for making our stay so pleasant!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Colette, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to tell the team and 'peaches'! Kind regards, James Peech
Living across the world!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The first thing I point out about The Peech is their outstanding kindness! We spent three nights at intervals between flights and trips, and the Peach was our base. Each time we were back we had a different type of room so we got a chance to try all kinds and I strongly advise the Garden Rooms on the second floor. Whilst the suites are an ode to modern design & style and they are not so much more expensive, perhaps it is not worth spending more money when the upper floor garden rooms are spacious, stylish and have the same wonderfully large bath tubs! Each time we were back the staff welcomed us as family and helped us with the organization and logistics of our next breaks: from there we went to Pilansberg National Park, visited Jo'burg & the Lion Park and we even flew over to Zimbabwe&Zambia for a couple of days to see the Victoria Falls. Some parts of our stay we had organized independently and other trips they helped organize for us at reasonable prices.

Moreover, the reason I can undoubtedly insist on the staff's professionality and kindness is that one day I was sick which feels awful when you are stranded away from home and they really showed the maximum kindness and availability. They went out of their way for us and were flexible to suit the circumstance and offer their additional hospitality which is in the true spirit of a boutique hotel where the service is tailored and cut to suit each client's needs!

The restaurant is very good, and I particularly recommend the eggs benedict in the morning which are done perfectly!

Another pleasant surprise was the hotel has access to a next-door fitness center which is awesome because it is a huge, professional gym with an olympic pool - not like hotel gyms : ) When I say next-door, it literally is adjacent to their yard so you walk two minutes and get in as long as you want with the discounted daily pass that the hotel may provide you with.

Finally, when you book the room I advise you to buy also their airport transport because it is priced fairly and the one time I was stubborn enough to try the normal airport taxi I spent slightly more money and hadn't I known the way the taxi driver would've even gotten lost!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms are pretty, and the ones upstairs with their high ceilings are nicer than the ones down...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm delighted we looked after you so well and will be sure to share the review with everyone here. Kind regards, James Peech
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights after arriving from Australia. Even though our flight was 2 hours late we were met at the arrivals gate and transported efficiently to the hotel. Our room (No. 3) was nicely appointed with a small outdoor courtyard and was serviced twice daily (including a turn down service). The shower was great and the bed and pillows very comfortable.

On two mornings we had to leave very early and the hotel arranged a breakfast box for us as well as a wake up call (which when unanswered because we did not hear the phone) was followed up with a knock on the door to make sure we were up and about to make our 4.15 pickup.

The food was very good and reasonably priced with interesting choices on each menu. Service was pleasant and helpful but occasionally a bit slow (not a concern for us but we saw others a little irritated). We hosted 3 different locals to a meal and, previously not aware of the Peech Hotel, they intend to return for dinner in the future (maybe a marketing opportunity for the hotel?)

All the staff were friendly and helpful, in particular Taryn (sp?) on the front desk who answered my many questions about what to do and where to go with good humour and practical advice, and patiently dealt with my concerns about security and safety with sensible answers. She arranged an excellent guide/ driver to take us to the Apartheit Museum (which was an excellent museum and a real eyeopener - I learnt heaps). She also arranged for luggage storage of unneeded things while we are travelling away and our transport to the airport with a great driver who was happy to tell us about his experiences of growing up in Joburg. Thanks Taryn.

Our stay in Johannesburg was really a matter of circumstance rather than preference (needing to be there for travel and meetings) and I was a little nervous about going (Joburg doesn't get positive press in Australia and the most recent was about the strikes and other unrest as well as crime etc). The staff at the Peech Hotel made my stay a pleasure and completely changed my (uninformed) view of the city.

We will be back there next week for one night before heading home and are looking forward to it imensely!

PS The only thing I would change is that I would get rid of the leaf blower which was used all too enthusiastically for what seemed like hours in the morning after a big thunder and rain storm over night

Room Tip: Room 3 on the ground floor has a courtyard area and looks out onto the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James P, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed Johannesburg so much and were able to change your perception of the city. I have noted the use of the leaf blower in the mornings! Kind regards, James Peech
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Peech two years ago for a weekend birthday getaway from Mozambique, where we were living. We've been meaning to write a review as we really liked the concept of this hotel and it's by far the most special hotel we experienced in Joburg. The service was very friendly, room spacious and modern, and the staff was extremely helpful in accomodating our requests. I'd recommend this place for people looking for something a bit different, perhaps to celebrate a special occasion. We also found the restaurant to serve good food at both breakfast and dinner. We found the staff was friendly and refreshingly diverse. We also enjoyed the attention paid towards ecological sustainability in the design and decor of the place. The location near Melrose Arch is great if you want to experience some of the restaurants there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
JamesPeech, Owner at The Peech Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to tell the whole team. Kind regards, James Peech

Been to The Peech Hotel? Share your experiences!