“Traumatic!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Castle Kyalami

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
The Castle Kyalami
You added The Castle Kyalami to your Saves list
66 Pine Road | Kyalami, Johannesburg 1684, South Africa   |
South Africa
“Traumatic!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

We arrived for our Valentines dinner at the Castle, initially, it was magnificent but as the night went on, things went wrong. We ordered drinks more than 4 times but nothing happened. My boyfriend found bugs his whiskey and ask that it be replaced, it took 45 minutes to pour a new one. We ordered our mains and when they did finally arrive, they brought us both chicken and not the beef. The mix up took 20 minutes to sort out. I asked for a refill of champagne five times, eventually I went to fetch it myself from the bottle placed on the table at the entrance. Our plates were cleared from the table 15 minutes after we had finished eating. I had to order my desert 3 times, twice from the same person, first he came to the table and I ordered it, then 15 minutes later he came and asked if I had ordered desert?? We were introduced to our waiter at the beginning of the evening and never saw him again. We then decided to go to our room; we were expecting this to be the highlight of the evening. We were told our room would have a king-size bed and promised to be lovely. It had two single beds and a repulsive bathroom. We called reception to inform and they sent up a "someone" to shove the beds together. If I wanted to sleep on two singles pushed together, I would have organised a sleepover at my best friend’s house, something that has not happened since I was 13. We spoke to the General Manager, who said our room was complimentary. I do not regard paying R3000 per night as complimentary and we then left to go home at 12h00 at night. No apologise, just attitude and arrogance displayed- I had a look at the guest book too, and more often than not, there were complaints about everything- from the rooms to the staff. It was heart breaking and I did not expect to end up in tears after so much thought and planning went into this. It was supposed to be our night of being spoiled; the incompetent and idiotic staff and managers who all had the combined intelligence of beheaded snails spoiled our night in the end.

Stayed February 2007

Families
Solo
Business
Norwich, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

We stayed at the castle for a relative's wedding and went on safari in the middle of the stay. The hotel was expensive, but only in comparison to other South African hotel prices - it was cheap compared to a similar style hotel in England.

It is a really stunning - but odd - building as it was built recently by an eccentric. The interiors are stunning, african themed but very luxurious. We're talking deep pile carpets, triple lined blackout curtains, piles of glossy magazines, leather-framed mirrors, african ornaments, sofas, chairs, modern bathrooms - it was like being in a wealthy friend's house.

The food was lovely with lots of choice. We really enjoyed our stay and of course the weather helped!

• Stayed October 2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
54 on Bath
The Residence Boutique Hotel
The Residence Boutique Hotel
#1 of 70 in Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 stars 391 reviews

Been to The Castle Kyalami? Share your experiences!