“Slightly disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse

Save Saved
You added Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse to your Saves list
Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   79 Lancaster Avenue | Craighall Park, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 232 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Hertfordshire
“Slightly disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We didn't get off to a good start on arriving at Liz at Lancaster. We were allocated a different room to the one we had booked. Zac told us we had more space but as we were staying for 1 night space was not an issue and we would have preferred the 'Coral' room as confirmed.
Unfortunately the pool was unusable due to the number of leaves and Liz explained that the pool maintenance man was due the next morning.
The breakfast was very good and Liz recommended a very good restaurant where we had an excellent meal.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Oh dear! The swimming pool is my Achilles' Heel. A huge camphor tree which is very beautiful but overhangs part of the pool, sheds its leaves annually (and copiously) in September/October. And this adds major extra pressure to maintenance during this time of the year. Even though the temperature makes the pool unswimmable until October, this should still not be allowed happen as it does not look good. The aesthetics were not helped by the lawn getting really damaged in our cold winter this year and still battling to come through the black topsoil we layed down in our efforts to encourage its summer growth. I know at the time I offered a bottle of wine or drinks of your choice 'on the house' as apology for the pool, but my huge apologies once again.
Re being accommodated in the two-roomed Yellow Cottage rather than the Coral Studio flatlet, again my apologies. I had guests in the Coral Studio flatlet who had extended a 4 and half week stay by 2 nights and rather than move them for their last 2 nights, I moved you as 'one-nighters' to the Yellow Cottage (at the same rate as the Coral flatlet) .Sadly running an establishment with few rooms, this kind of thing does sometimes happen. I have never before had anybody unhappy about being 'upgraded' so did not think it would be an issue with you. Thank you for the positive feedback about the breakfast and the restaurant recommendation.
I am sorry it was a disappointing stay but I hope Madikwe lived up to expectations and that your experiences in South Africa were positive overall.
Best
Liz Delmont , owner at Liz at Lancaster

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

My best girlfriend begged me to book with Liz at Lancaster when I told her that my trip to South Africa would include two nights in Johannesburg. I’d planned on staying at a chain hotel, but decided to take her advice and give a B&B a try. It ended making such a difference to my quick trip to Johannesburg. We arrived to a warm greeting by Zac, who took our bags and showed us to the Coral Room. Just as advertized, we had a private entry with our own enclosed and secure outdoor seating area. The room was big and well furnished. The temperature of the room was just perfect, and even though it was winter, I didn’t even need the electric blanket. The bathroom was luxurious and the heated floors felt so nice on my feet. Oh, and the toiletries were lovely – I believe that they use sandalwood scented products. Breakfast was fast and delicious. Pictures of the breakfast room on the website are nice, but it’s so cozy and quaint in person that the photos don’t do the experience justice. We didn’t have much time to explore Johannesburg due to professional commitments. However, we had a few hours to play with on our last day, and Liz gave us great advice on where to go in Soweto. I really could not have asked for a better experience and am grateful to Liz and her staff for making our stay so special and relaxing, and to Shani for insisting that I stay at Liz at Lancaster.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you too to Shani for insisting that you stay ! Your feedback is really valuable .and we are so delighted that your stay was so succesful. Thank you for the positive words. Good too that your visit to Soweto was enjoyable and that you saw the things you wanted to. Hopefully your quick trip whet your appetite for a return trip. All the best and thank you for coming to stay.
From all at Liz at Lancaster
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We absolutely loved your Guest House....the best in the country. I just want to tell you, that your attention to detail is unsurpassed. The art that you display inspired us to purchase art. The tendancy is to overlook beautiful items as they are not well displayed in the stalls and markets. However, seeing items in your home made them shine. Liz, you offer really high quality in several ways. Exceptionally delicious meals in such a gorgeous setting. A website that is clear and detailed. Having our suitcases moved without request. Being so kind when I had an upset tummy. Thank you. Your efforts do not go unnoticed! Hope to see you again some day.

I miss your place!
Verity

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback on your stay at Liz at Lancaster. I am so pleased you emjoyed your stay and the art work inspired you to buy work elsewhere. I hope it looks good in your home back in Canada! All the best from Liz and all at Liz at Lancaster
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Beautifully appointed rooms with absolutely everything you might need for a very comfortable stay. Huge quality very comfortable bed, very nice bathroom, flat screen TV and everything that opens and shuts in the kitchen, microwave, 'fridge etc.
People do not realise that in winter Johannesburg gets cold. There is underfloor heating and extra soft luxury blankets.
Beautiful pool, and a really great breakfast. Liz is warm, professional and knows exactly what needs to be done and is also extremely well informed about Johannesburg generally; the staff are friendly and very efficient.

And then there is Marley. If you do not like dogs, be prepared to have your mind changed. My grand daughter was terrified of any dog. By the end of their visit she had to be forcibly removed from Marley's tummy. This is not to say that the dogs are intrusive, they are well trained, clean and keep their distance if this is what you require.

The B&B is in a quiet road but is in an ideal position to get to Rosebank, Sandton or Randburg.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
We so appreciate your taking the time and trouble to share your experiences and views of Liz at Lancaster. Marley especially liked her mention as you know full well thow she needs attention and recognition !! She says please all come and visit again! All the best from Liz and all the staff, Zac, Catherine and Thandi
Tahoe City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I stay with Liz @ Lancaster in June for the 2010 World Cup, a was the most amazing time of my life, share my energy with the employees of the Lancaster. All I had to do is bring my enthusiasm and they give me back a big smile and a the best vibe of my life over there.
They have a really good breakfast in the morning and amazing rooms.
Hilly recommend!!
Thank you Liza, Zac and the hole crew!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback about Liz at Lancaster and your experiences in Joburg. Joburg gets such bad press and it is amazing how when people visit they leave with such a different perceptions. We at Liz at Lancaster are so pleased that you had such a good time here and in Joburg and that you have such positive feedback. We hope it will not be too long before you visit South Africa and Joburg again, We look forward to welcoming you back.
Liz Owner and all the staff at Liz at Lancaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I was traveling with another female friend and we were a bit nervous about Johannesburg, but we are SOOOOO happy that we did it!!! Liz was GREAT! She hooked us up with a tour guide into Soweto (which was amazing and well worth it) we never felt threatened and totally safe with our awesome guide. She also arranged a driver for us one day as well as a taxi driver who took us to the market, dropped us off for a couple hours and CAME BACK FOR US!!!!! That was a gamble...but we trusted in Liz and she pulled through. I couldn't recommend this B&B any higher for the service alone! Thanks again Liz for taking care of two crazy scaredy-cat girls from the states. Sorry for the delayed review...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Montreal, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We have been staying at Liz at Lancaster for a couple of years, both my husband on business (between 8&10 times) and myself, at leisure! 3 times now. We cannot fault it; from the friendly welcome, even from the dogs, to the comfort, cleanliness, great breakfasts and no problem attitude to any small troubles or big requests we might have.
Liz is a fount of knowledge about pretty much everything and her "staff" are much more than just that. Thoughtful and considerate at all times. We look forward to each trip.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Your considered review of your stay with us is much appreciated. The fedback from regular guests who keep returning is so valued and it is good to know that the needs of both the business and leisure traveller are well catered for here. Liz and her staff look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to South Africa. All the best from Liz, Zac, Catherine and Thandi

Been to Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse? Share your experiences!