“5-week stay couldn't be better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse

Save Saved
You added Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse to your Saves list
Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   79 Lancaster Avenue | Craighall Park, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 232 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Amherst, Massachusetts
“5-week stay couldn't be better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I spent 5 weeks at Liz@Lancaster while a Visiting Professor at Wits University. Being away for such a long time can be very difficult but staying at this beautiful B&B made me feel like I was at home. The staff - Zach, Catherine, and Rosemary - were efficient and thoughtful, and Liz herself was attentive to every detail, large or small. The breakfasts were lovely, the gardens and pool area were spectacular, the bed was very comfortable (I slept better than ever!), and the private outdoor patio was great. I have already recommended the B&B to upcoming visiting scholars because I know they will love it as much as I did.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Sage Cottage. It was lovely but I assume that all of them are. Mine was perfect for...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for your review Sonia. It was good to meet both you and your husband. Craighall Park is such an ideal location for visitors working at Wits as it is an easy drive in. Having done it for over 20 years when I taught at Wits, I know it well, although traffic is a bit more hectic than it was when I worked there. Am pleased that you slept so well - guests often say that - probably a combination of good mattresses and a really quiet neighbourhood. Guests often comment on just how silent it is at night and are amazed that they are in the middle of a huge city .. the advantage of a suburb which is still central within the city. Good luck with your ongoing research and with your husband's recuperation after his big op.
From us all at Liz at Lancaster : Liz, Catherine, Zac and Rosemary

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My friend and I recently spent 4 nights in Johannesburg and stayed at Liz at Lancaster's. The accommodations were large and comfortable with everything needed...bottled water brought in regularly, coffee, tea, etc., updated bathroom, patio, etc. Perfect breakfast. But was really set it apart was the helpfulness of Liz and her staff. Johannesburg was a late addition to our africa excursion so we hadn't done a lot of planning. As a result, we were probably the highest maintenance lodgers ever! In planning, Liz consistenly sent us prompt replies to every inquiry, understanding our timeframe and interests then helping us with our itinerary to make the most of our visit. She even arranged an amazing Soweto bike tour and helped us make it to a rugby game (straight from the airport, arranging tickets, transport, and cell phone). We were astonished at what Liz had arranged for us. We were able to hire Zac to drive us to points of interest at more than reasonable rates. Zac was an absolute sweetheart - dependable, helpful, always with a smile on his face. I would recommend Liz's to ANYONE staying in Johannesburg
- young, old, couples, friends, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Just as you enjoyed staying here, we enjoyed meeting you and having you as guests. You have done something I have never done - watched rugby at Loftus in Pretoria! I'm so pleased that it all worked out and you managed to make the match. I love it when a plan comes together ! Also good that the last minute, unplanned visit to Joburg turned out to be such a success and so worthwhile for you. Joburg gets such bad press and it is only when people have actually visited, that they realize what a vibrant city it is and how much it has to offer - a go-go pace and an edginess that goes with that, but interesting and buzzy neverthless.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip back - with your family next time? From us all at Liz at Lancaster
Swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Staying with Liz and her wonderful staff, Catherine, Thandie, Rosemary and Zac was a perfect way to start our holiday. Arriving stressed and tired, the warm welcome that awaited us was just what we needed. Our room was large, airy and extremely comfortable - we wanted for nothing. Attention to detail throughout was superb whether it be in the bedroom, the bathroom, the lounge area or breakfast. Liz has thought of everything that her guests may need from a wealth of information, free wifi, comfortable beds, lovely soaps and soft towels, and even fresh milk in the fridge. Breakfast is something else again: the choice is huge and all is beautifully presented with a smile and totally delicious. The gardens are a delight and the pool, clean and inviting. Our one night at Liz's was not enough to experience all that is offered here at this outstanding Guesthouse. We shall definitely be returning !

Room Tip: All rooms are great - no need to choose as Liz at Lancaster is in a quiet part of town.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
We really appreciate your feedback on your stay at Liz at Lancaster - thank you for all your comments. We are so pleased that all the details which we focus on, do not go unnoticed and that they all made your stay with us enjoyable and memorable. We certainly enjoyed having you as guests. We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer time when you are next out in SA which we hope won't be too far away.
All the best from all the team at Liz at Lancaster
London england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Best decision ever for Christmas!! Impossible to fault. A very warm welcome from Liz and the staff, the rooms comfortable, nay, luxurious, the setting perfect with mature trees and birds everywhere. Such dedicated, personal attention that one almost hesitated to mention the smallest whim, since it was sure to appear. Indeed, there were few whims as everything had been thought of. A French writer, travelling in England, once wrote that to eat well, one should eat breakfast three times a day. At Liz at Lancaster, one was tempted to follow his advice or never leave the table. All this in such a convivial atmosphere that it much like staying with good friends. As soon as we returned we started saving pennies and looking for an excuse to go back. Thank you Liz for a memorable stay!!

Room Tip: They are all excellent!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you Gillian for your wonderful feedback on your stay at Liz at Lancaster. Please save your pennies as we would love to welcome you back. We loved having you to stay and are really pleased that you enjoyed it all so much and had such a good time in Joburg over Christmas. We all say that Joburg over Christmas time is SA's best kept secret - with perfect weather (despite some dramatic Highveld storms with thunder and lightning ! Sorry Babs! ) and Joburgers having fled either to the coast or to their family homes in more rural areas, there is no traffic, you can get in anywhere you want to and people are chilled, laid back and in holiday mood. What a treat !
So thank you once again for coming to stay and we hope it is not too long before we see you again.
All the best from us all at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse and from Joburg SA.
Hampshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Our family (three young children) stayed at this perfect guest house for 3 too short days earlier this month. Liz, Catherine, Thandie and Rosemary were so welcoming and friendly, the rooms were gorgous and the location in Craighall Park a perfect place from which to explore some of what Johannesburg has to offer. We arrived tired and travel sore after a week in the Kruger and surrounds and fell into delicious beds after a candle lit bath - it was like heaven and my own home is completely inadequate now! A highlight for the children were Catherine's delicious cooked breakfasts served with her elegant smile (three hearts broke when we said goodbye) and of course the pool which they lived in when we weren't out and about exploring. Liz was full of ideas about what we could do and even helped book outings for us. She arranged for Simon to take us on a tour of Soweto (probably my highlight of the trip), as a Sowetan native he was a font of local knowledge and history and gave us a facinating experience which I do not think we would have found by ourselves. All the staff were incredibly friendly, welcoming and informative and we have come away with a very long book list following our stay. I cannot recommend this guest house enough if you are after friendliness, comfort, informed company and a bit of luxury. I cannot wait to return. Thank you all very much for all the effort you put in to care for your visitors so well.

Room Tip: They are all very individual and personalised. All have their own courtyard space and all quiet. We...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback to your stay at Liz at Lancaster. We were delighted to host you. We are also so pleased that your trip to Soweto was such a highlight. We only refer guests to guides who live in Soweto and so have a personal connection and who run small tailor made tours. In addition Simon has first hand knowledge of the Soweto uprising so is particularly well-informed. And of course the endless swimming was probably the hgihlight for the children. We look forward to welcoming you back on any return trip.
From all the team at Liz at Lancaster
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I am from Nairobi, Kenya. I was going to be traveling to Jo'burg alone, for an extended period of time. It was important that I find a place that offered comfort, convenience, privacy, flexibility in terms of meals. I found it all at Liz's. Airport transfers were arranged, and on arrival, Liz was there to welcome me in person. The staff were friendly, led by Catherine who always greeted me by name, and discreetly cleaned up my room and catered to my needs in a personalized manner. Zac was at hand to drive me whenever I needed to go out. Beautifully manicured gardes, blooming flowers everywhere. The breakfast area felt like my own dining lounge back at home. Free wifi meant that I could take care of my emails in the comfort of my room. A handbook prepared by Liz provided me with all the info I needed about Jo'burg, from recommended dining places to the touristic sites to visit.

I fondly remember lazy afternoons by the private swimming pool, warm evenings as the rain pounded outside. But perhaps what I enjoyed most was the instant friendship I struck with 'Marley', my furry canine-friend, who gave excellent, non-obtrusive company. All for a few rear-rubs. I have found a home in Johannesburg. Simply excellent. I am going back in April for Easter in the company of my two friends. Will be lucky to find a room. Book now.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the parking area are quiter and offer more discretion. I personally stayed a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Flo,
Thank you for your detailed account of what made your stay at Liz at Lancaster so special. We so enjoyed having you to stay and are so pleased that you felt so at home here. We often have people saying how they feel so comfortable here and we all take it as a great compliment . We're also very pleased to now offer free wi-fi internet. We have had so many hassles with getting a workable internet system. When many years ago, we were one of the first Jhb guesthouses to provide guests access to wi-fi, the service was free. But it got abused so we tried many other systems and now are truly delighted to finally be back to free wi-fi again. :)
We so look forward to seeing you and your friends in April. All the best till then from us all at Liz at Lancaster : Liz, Catherine, Zac, Rosemary (while Thandie is on maternity leave) and of course a tail-wag from Marley
Gaborone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed at New Year in Liz at Lancaster, with a four year old and the grandparents and everyone enjoyed themselves a lot. The pool area and gardens are idyllic, the breakfast with fresh fruit salads are a treat and there is a lot of effort going into personalised attention. We feel that every guest is treated as an individual and it creates a very homely and nice atmosphere
Liz has always a good idea and is very helpful.
The rooms are spacious and simply beautiful, as well as the bathrooms where no detail is left out. We loved the candles, nice soaps and small details that really make a difference.
On the practical side, the rooms are equipped with every amenity you can think of: iron, ironing board, microwaves even an umbrella for a rainy afternoon!
The location in Craighall Park is excellent, with supermarkets down the road, so if you don’t want to go out for lunch or dinner, it is easy to self-cater.
For us, the most important thing is the nice atmosphere at Liz’s: it’s quiet, green and really cosy. We will take our next guests there for sure!

Room Tip: Ask Liz which one will be the best for you!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
LizatLancaster, Owner at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Thank you AnnetteGabarone for your review of Liz at Lancaster. We are so pleased that you had such a good stay over New Year and that all of you, from your 4 year old to grandparents, enjoyed it and felt well looked after. It was particularly good that you made a booking well in advance for New Year's Eve on the terrace at the Westcliff Hotel so that you were able to watch the various New Year fireworks over Joburg's northern suburbs. And it was good that you were able to make use of the supermarket in walking distance. It makes such a difference when buying the odd item to have neighbourhood shops nearby and not have to battle for parking in large malls. So thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of your stay at Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse with Tripadvisor's on-line community. We look forward to welcoming you back to Liz at Lancaster when you are next down in Joburg.
Best
Liz and all the team at Liz at Lancaster : Catherine, Zac & Thandie

Been to Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse? Share your experiences!