“Gracious Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rutland House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
You added Rutland House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
48 Rutland Avenue | Craighall Park, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #8 of 235 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Florida
“Gracious Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Delia makes the stay at Rutland House a wonderful experience. She greeted us upon arrival from the airport via Felling Tours and once we were settled in our room she suggested the Corner Café (CNR Café) down the street for dinner. She had conferred with us via Felling Tours to make a reservation as we made our way to her place from the airport. It was a pleasant walk and a fine recommendation. (We went returned again another night!)
The room was modest and spotless with frig with fresh fruit with coffee/tea maker and biscuits provided. We spent 3 different nights there and were able to leave one of our suitcases in the room. Delia prepared the delicious breakfasts in a sunny, handsome dining room with huge windows out to her garden and pool. We had a lovely stay and enjoyed meeting her.

Room Tip: Orchard had a huge bed and lots of room to unpack.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you Barbra for such a lovely review. I am truly sorry Richard was taken so ill on his return but hope he it well recovered now. It must have been very worrying for you.
I am pleased Rutland House could provide you with a pleasant base on your travels but I wish I had more time with you as I really enjoyed your company. Perhaps there will be a return visit ??
All the best to you both and good health especially to Richard.
Delia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Delia is a wonderful host in her lovely property which makes such a cosy, comfortable home away from home. Lovely breakfast and a daily paper at hand. When coming and going (ie we went to Cape Town and came back again) we could leave a bag behind. Bliss!
We loved being there and will most definately be back.

Room Tip: They are all comfortable!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Well done on your review, I know it was not easy and I really appreciate all the trouble you went to.
As always I loved having you and your friends to stay, it is a happy occasion. Please the few "mishaps" both medical and "medicinal on the way back from dinner!! " worked out well. Not a story I will forget in a hurry.
I look forward to your next visit in a couple of years and keep well and warm till then.
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Come May, I and my wife will be in RSA and I asked our partners to ensure we are booked at Rutland. Our last experience was so awesome that we cannot imagine staying any other place. Delia, I hope you are prepared to spoil silly on this return visit. Thank you for making our stay last year November a very pleasant experience. Thank you very much. See you soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for all your kind words. I am Looking forward to your visit Lois and Peter. See you on 6th May and safe travelling.
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Rutland House B&B was clean, cosy & quiet, ideal for business people. My husband & I stayed for 6 nights last week. Delia was very warm, without being intrusive. She made delicious eggs & bacon for breakfast & even supper for us on our first night. She arranged for dependable Andrew to pick me every morning. i had to wake her up one night when my husband didnt return to the guest house early and she didn't mind one bit, even let me use her phone to call him. She even allowed us have a small party on our anniversary. She also allowed us change rooms. She kept the guest house clean at all times. This is really the place to stay, good induction to Joburg and warm, cheerful spirit! Peju

Room Tip: Stayed in Sky & Orchard rooms & no issues
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you Peju, for your lovely review. It is very easy to be cheerful around you and your husband and it was a pleasure to have you to stay. I am so pleased I could provide a lovely venue for your anniversary. I look forward to your next visit and take care till then.
Best regards
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this B & B enroute to various destinations in South Africa. A warmer welcome would be hard to find. Delia, the owner, couldn't have been more helpful and even cooked us supper on the two occasions we were staying with her. Our room was comfortable and spotlessly clean and the pretty garden was a haven of tranquility. Thank you Delia for making our stay so stress free and special. Should we find ourselves in Johannesburg again in the future, we will definitely stay here again.
Catherine P

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely review. it was such a pleasure meeting you both, we had great chats at the breakfast table, I felt i had known you for years !!
After your frustrating "debacle" with taxi drivers, I am pleased you could relax at Rutland House. Next time let me organize the transport for you and you won't have the same "experience".
i wish you both an excellent 2013 and hope to see you in the not too distant future.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Had a 3 night stay at Rutland House (me, my wife and daughter). Had just arrived from the States and Delia took the worry out of the process by arranging a transfer from the airport and being the perfect hostess during our stay. The rooms and grounds are lovely, and the English breakfast is a superb way to begin the day. A wonderful atmosphere, gracious service, and a friendly and helpful proprietor. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Jim,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am pleased I could give you a good venue for meeting up with your lovley daughter after her adventures in Africa. It was a pleasure having you to stay and I do hope you will be back one day.
All the best for 2013.
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hi - we spent wonderful 10 days in Rutland House B&B. Enjoyed the pool and the great green all over the place. The rooms are very cosy and the host Delia was always around taking care of our needs. Thanks so much again - we´ll be back ;) Ben & Stefan (Berlin)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Ben and Stephan,
Thank you so much for your great review. It was lovely for me to see you enjoying the swimming pool after a hard days work and enjoying the warmth before heading back to Europe.
I look forward to your visit in April. All the best
Delia

Been to Rutland House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!