“Charming and tranquil” 5 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 9 sites
Save Saved
You added The Winston Hotel to your Saves list
The Winston Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 6 Tottenham Avenue | Melrose Estate, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Special Offer
a Night Out Package
Ranked #6 of 72 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Charming and tranquil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I often spend time relaxing at the pool . The Winston has a personal touch which is missing in so many Joburg hotels . Every detail is tasteful and personalised . A great place for functions and weddings ... location is central just across from the Gautrain and Sunday fleamarket .. Great food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here on my way to safari and again on my way home, to London. The rooms are spacious, spotless and sumptuous! I chose this hotel because I was a solo female traveller and did not want to feel like 'just another guest'. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I felt very safe and comfortable. The food was delicious and the wine selection excellent.

The proximity to the Gautrain is a great advantage, great new trains, very safe and inexpensive, airport to hotel in 30 mins.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in this hotel while we waited for renovations in our new house to be completed. Hotel is great, but service is exceptionally slow in the restuarant. We also had dinner several times before our stay there, and even then service during dinner was very slow. Both dinner and breakfast service was significantly below average. Would be great if they had a spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WinstonHotel342, General Manager at The Winston Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
We regret to hear that you experienced slow service with us. To us, guest satisfaction is paramount and we thank you for your feedback. We strive to make each and every guest's experience memorable and we will prioritize this matter immediately. We hope to see you soon.
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Spent three nights in Johannesburg after a safari and I am really glad I chose the Winston. It is well-appointed and comfortable, with very accomodating service and excellent food. Quick walk to the Gautrain and the Rosebank Mall, with a reasonable African Crafts Market open 9-6 every day. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I felt compelled to write a review for the Winston because my time here had been so superb. I arrived after a two week safari for two nights of relaxation before heading back to Australia. The Winston has been perfect. It's a short five minute walk from the Rosebank Gautrain and in comparison to the other gargantuan global hotels in the area, it dazzles with personality. The rooms are decorated with beautiful French provincial furniture and my room had really lovely little African touches. The beds are very comfortable and right now I'm lucky enough to open my balcony door to a stunning blossoming jacaranda tree. The bathrooms are modern and have separate shower and bathtub and the whole room has plenty of space to relax and unwind. I've had both breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and both meals have been just delicious. There were quite a few non hotel guests in the restaurant last night, so it's nice to see that both locals and visitors appreciate the food. I should also make mention of the common areas - there is a lovely pool which is currently swaddled with roses and spring blooms and there are quite a few places around the hotel to sit with a book or magazine and relax.
I have to commend the Winston. I came in the hotel feeling dirty and beaten down and I'm leaving today feeling replenished. If you're looking for a place to stay that is a bit more boutique and personal whilst still having plenty of amenities to enjoy, the Winston is it.

• Stayed October 2012
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our plans changed at the last moment, so need to book an extra nights accommodation in Johannesburg before flying out to Uganda.

We found this little gem on wotif.com and what a find it was.

The rooms are truly incredible, the staff amazing.. Food exceptional! I had the best ever steak here in my life.. and that is after dinning at some of the best restaurants in the world. Perfectly cooked fillet that melted in my mouth!

Catch the train from OR Tambo to Sandton, change over to the Rosebank line and they will meet you at the train station, it is truly a 3 min walk..

Staff are incredible!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hi, we are still here, and cannot wait to review it, as every day we are more happy to be here.
The room is perfect, the bed is great, with softest crispy white sheets, perfect mattress.
Roomy, everything you may need , no noise at all , and nice decoration.
The common areas are also perfect, inside lots of couches to relax, outside also , and the restaurant is a highlight ! The food is perfect, delicious, and always the different flavours mixed in every dish make our dinning or lunch experience a real joy !
But what really makes this hotel so remarkable is the people who work here , always ready to assist you , with a big smile , making your Johannesburg stay a real pleasure. If you want the best , come here , you wont want to leave !

Room Tip: we are in room 29 facing parking place , there is no noise at all during night , sunny perfect ,blue...