“Hard Rock Sandton: Trainwreck of a Restaurant” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Cafe Johannesburg

Hard Rock Cafe Johannesburg
10 & 10A Mandela Square, 8 Maude Street | Sandton, Johannesburg 2146, South Africa
011 784 3144
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #208 of 767 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Hong Kong, China
“Hard Rock Sandton: Trainwreck of a Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Unfortunately, our meal at the Hardrock Café Sandton (Mandela Square) was a complete disaster, from the minute we walked in:

1) Ok, it’s a Hard Rock Café, but does music have to be deafening? We couldn’t hear ourselves talk and neither could our waiter. If you have to scream and use sign language to place your order, then it’s too loud. It’s a restaurant, not a club.
2) Wait #1. We waited 10 minutes (minimum) before our waiter arrived at the table. Took our drink orders, waited another 10 minutes before they arrived – separately. Beers arrived but soft drinks didn’t – had to ask. Waiter asked if we wanted water, but none was ever delivered.
3) Wait #2. After receiving our drinks we placed our order. We waited 10 more minutes – waiter apologized by saying they were preparing our starters. We didn’t order any starters. Tables that arrived later received their order before we did.
4) Wait #3. Food arrived separately. I took a bite from my hamburger – raw (even though on the menu, it clearly states that all burgers are cooked medium well). I sent my burger back, as it was bleeding profusely. Other burgers ordered at our table (which arrived after mine) were cooked properly.
5) Wait #4. My dining companions finished their meal. No site of my burger. At which point I made decision that I no longer wanted my burger.
6) Wait #5. Hard Rock manager came to our table to ask if we were having a “good time” – in a word: no. I told manager to cancel my order. He tried to rectify the situation with free drinks – too little, too late. To make matters worse, waiter couldn’t open our beers; we had to demonstrate the use of a bottle opener.
7) Wait #6. We waited another 10 minutes for our bill. We asked for it 3 separate times before it arrived.
Tables around us had the same situation, food delivered late, long wait to get bill. There were wait staff literally all over the restaurant, have to assume the problem was in the kitchen. To be generous, may be teething problems as this is a new restaurant with new wait staff – but no excuse, the problems we faced from service to food are completely unacceptable. Worst experience in any Hard Rock I’ve ever been in – and of any restaurant in JBerg.
If you want a good burger – served well and on time, try any of the other restaurants in Mandela Square: Butcher Shop, Trumps, even McDonalds or Wimpy’s – take your pick.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
sintornr, Public Relations Manager at Hard Rock Cafe Johannesburg, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are really sorry for your negative experience with us. We work very hard to exceed expectations and guest satisfaction, therefore your input is much appreciated. We would appreciate if you could contact us at gm@hrcjohannesburg.com and share your experience with us, we keep in contact with you directly as soon as posible
Best regards
Hard Rock Cafe Johannesburg Management Team

• Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Growing pains"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We went on the second night the HRC opened in Johannesburg. Being brand new, the lay-out and furnishings are absolutely great! The menu is standard; the memorabilia interesting. The shop carries a few uniquely designed t-shirts with South African influence.
Unfortunately the service is still very uncertain and sluggish; in fact quite terrible. The glass of wine I ordered with my meal, never appeared, despite several reminders. The serving staff try really hard, but the support from kitchen and bar staff is sadly lacking. I am sure it will get better with experience. As a die hard fan of the HRC experience, I will go back, but only in a few months time.

• Visited December 2013