“SECURITY CONCERNS” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Court Milpark

Save Saved
You added Garden Court Milpark to your Saves list
Garden Court Milpark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Empire and Owl Streets | Auckland Park, Johannesburg 2073, South Africa   |
Ranked #36 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Polokwane, Limpopo
“SECURITY CONCERNS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I checked into Garden Court Milpark on Friday 5/10/12 at 15h00 - my room was not available as it had not been cleaned. On Saturday morning I called reception and spoke to Christine to extend my stay to include Sunday night. I went down to reception to confirm it with Christine and Thato. On Monday morning at about 00h45 in the morning 2 men entered our room - they had apparently knocked but we were fast asleep. We woke up to be confronted by a security guard and another man IN OUR BEDROOM. We tried to remain calm and were informed that they were just checking if the room was occupied. For obvious reasons we did not sleep for the rest of the night - reception also did not answer their phones for me to find out what had happened. The next morning I informed the duty manager who informed me that the night staff did not know if the room was booked or not and that they then went together with a security guard to check if there were people in the room. (Why they did not register my extension or call on the phone or come and check at an earlier time I am not sure) I find this very scary and unsettling and together with the area in which Milpark Garden Court is situated I will really think twice before going there again - If you check my previous bookings you would see that in the past I have preferred to stay in this hotel as it is so central but I will think twice from now on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Noël A M, General Manager at Garden Court Milpark, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear afrroots,

Thank you most sincerely for your previous patronage of our hotel taking the time to do a review of your experience on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is always welcomed and greatly valued as it assist us to constant improve our product and service delivery to our guests.

I was most disappointed to read about your experience and apologise most sincerely for us having create an unfavourable impression of our hotel. I have personally investigated your comments with the relevant management of staff at the hotel and please rest assured that corrective action has been taken where appropriate as to ensure that a re-occurance of the same is avoided where at all possible.

It is with great pleasure that I inform you of our refurbishment which is planned for warly 2013 where all our bedrooms, bathrooms and corridors will be totally renovated, including both 'softs' (bedspread, carpets, curtains and so on) and furniture in the bedrooms.

Please rest assured that what you have experienced is definitely regrettable and isolated shortcomings and not the usual standard of Garden Court Hotels and this hotel, which our valued guests are acustomed to.

We thank you once again for your constructive feedback, which is always greatly valued and we look forward to welcoming you back again at the hotel in the near future.

With renewed apologies and kind regards

Noël A. Macquet

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in the Milpark Holiday Inn last September/October and had an incredible time there. We were so amazed by the friendliness of people such as Pauline at the reception desk, who went so far as to assist us with arranging transport to go to the train station. The driver, Welcome, was so kind and gracious, assisting us with our bags, sharing information on Braamfontein and helping us to orient ourselves. The breakfast was lovely, and we had room service at night time, which was also delicious. The rooms were very clean, we had coffee and tea for our arrival, and the bathroom was full of hot water. All in all, we had a lovely time, and I would come back to Milpark again, if we were back in Jo'burg.

Room Tip: The rooms near the top have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Durban
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our stay at this hotel was good.

Rooms were clean. Breakfast was lovely. And service was pleasant.

Location central. Ask for rooms on the quieter side as rooms facing high way very noisy.

Checking in a bit delayed and room keys never worked the first time.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the traffic. No spa - No gym. Virgin active is across the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Durban
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I are regulars at the Garden Court Milpark.. the Staff are always friendly, breakfast caters a variety of food for vegetarians... and the rooms are always neat & tidy. We also book through our Discovery vitality and get a good discount. There are also many resturants near by in Greenside if you're wanting some good italian food.

Room Tip: Choose rooms 301 / 302.. they are much bigger that the others
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Milpark, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Katrien P,

Thank you for your review on Garden Court Milpark. I am so glad that you enjoy your stays with us. The positive feedback is really appreciated and will be relayed to the entire team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Warm Regards
Linda Reddy
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I had booked a night at this hotel before reading the reviews on TA. And then I got scared. It sounded like a hell-hole. But let me assure fellow travellers that its not. Its the equivalent of most Garden Courts in Johannesburg. I booked and paid on line. The staff were friendly and check in was efficient and quick. My room card worked every time. Because it is an older hotel, the rooms are bigger than normal. My room was spotlessly clean and my TV programmed with all the channels. The air con is of the older type but its the same in other similar hotels. Room service from the on-site restaurant was quick, fresh and very generously portioned. Breakfast was exactly the same as other Garden Courts - nothing was frozen. I wouldn't walk alone at night in the area (but I wouldn't in other areas either). It was a convenient location for my business trip and I would stay there again. Its not a 5 star experience but it isn't claiming to be. It's a solid Garden Court and my stay was extremely pleasant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Karen G,
Thank you taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely appreciate it as it aids in improving our service. Thank you for providing a more balanced view of the hotel.
We pride ourselves in providing great service and adhering to the Garden Court standards.
I certainly hope that you will stay with us when you are next in the area and look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards
Linda Reddy
Dundee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hotel is in a very bad condition,staff unfriendly and not at all helpful,YES they say it is a very old Hotel but being filthy id not any excuse especiall being a Southern Sun Hotel

Room Tip: ALL rooms very bad
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MickeyR100, General Manager at Garden Court Milpark, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Saira B

Thank you very much for your feedback and kindly accept our sincere apology as this is not our normal standard at Garden Court Hatfield.

You’re sincerely
Mickey Rautenbach
Durban, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed here recently on a business trip and hated every minute of it. The rooms are old and outdated and the hotel itself can do with a complete makeover.
The breakfast is weak and the location is dark and dangerous. You never feel safe in this area.
The smoking rooms have a stale smell as if they were not aired out properly. I am a frequent guest but was never acknowledged as one at check-in which is a let down considering the amount of business i give the group. From here i flew to Cape Town and stayed at Garden Court Eastern Boulevard and the difference in service was extreme. Eastern Boulevard reckonised me as a frequent guest and even supplied my morning newspaper as promised. Far cry from Milpark where i never got my paper.
Oh and they dont have showers...the shower over the bath scenario is pretty annoying as there are puddles on the floor when you are done... how many businessmen have the time to soak in the tub in the morning??
I will not be back....ever!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Garden Court Milpark? Share your experiences!