“A nice cafe” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Restaurant Chez Girard French cuisine
453 corner Main and Culross Roads naturally yours centre Bryanston, Johannesburg, South Africa
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 762 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“A nice cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I went to Girard, invited. The big plus of this small cafe, it is not a franchise trying to impress the ignorant. The food is straight forward, like the owner Christian. It is French for sure, no doubt about it. Alleluia, no sundry tomato, no plastic mozzarella, no balsamic vinegar, no waiter with pepper mill, it is enjoyable, and relax. The mussels are fresh and good. No B.S. Try, it is good, your partner will love it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Very good food, but it's the hospitality that makes it exceptional!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We've been to Chez Girard a few times and gladly to back there when we have a chance. So far we've only been there for dinner, but we hope to change that.

The food is very good. I didn't consider it to be the best in Jo'burg, but it's still among the very solid. However on the last visit the muscles in cream sauce did blow me away! Wow! The duck is also very good though perhaps a little heavy. There are a few starter salads which combine seafood and fruit - those work very well.

However what I enjoy the most is Christian's involvement in talking to customers and serving people. It really feels like you are being served by a friend at his house.

I would definitely recommend this little spot for a anyone in the mood for good food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

A quant restaurant owned and managed by Chef Christiaan Gerard. Chez Gerard offers a great value French dining experience with a simple but well thought out menu. I would recommend the restaurant for any occasion

“A taste of France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Set in Bryanston, Chez Girard transports its patrons to a little town in France. With modern decor, and excellent service, it is one of the few restaurants in Joburg where the owner visits the tables, lists the specials of the evening and takes our order. My husband and I had the duck and the chateaubriand which were both mouth-wateringly delicious. The atmosphere is pleasantly cozy, the prices are reasonable and it's altogether a not-to-be-missed gem that provided the perfect evening out for us. They are open for lunch Monday to Saturday and for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. I strongly recommend it.

Visited October 2013
Doha
“Wonder food and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We found this little gem today by chance. We were doing an activity nearby for a few hours so by the time we got to the restaurant for lunch we were starving! 2 of the children are fuzzy eaters and the staff were more than happy to accommodate them and gave them the food they requested. My daughter and I had 2 different salads and are still arguing over whose was nicest. The food came out quickly and was fab. My only regret was I didn't have the carrot cake which looked like the moistest cake I have seen in a long time...we are looking forward to going there again before we leave Johannesburg.

Visited August 2013