“Great new find!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Licorish Bistro

Licorish Bistro
Cnr Wedgewood Link & William Nicol Drive | 26`03`1005``S 28`01`1333``E, Johannesburg 2194, South Africa
011 706 0991
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 736 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Continental, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: It is at the new Nicolway Mall at Bryanston. http://www.nicolwaybryanston.co.za/location.htm
“Great new find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

What a great experience really enjoyed the trio of fillet fantastic flavours, licorish ice cream was fantastic!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Unusual combinations, great taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

You cannot describe the food as fusion, but as perfectly prepared dishes with a twist - a twist that works and which adds a new and unexpected taste dimension. This is the most innovative food in Johannesburg. The service is excellent, the owner most attentive, and the wine selection well thought out. You will not be disappointed

• Visited October 2012
Johannesburg
“Amazing food in Joburg!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

A very unexpected experience! We were looking for a last minute sunday night restaurant, entered another mall and settled for Licorish restaurant, as it was one of the only one open!
The experience was great from A to Z, great service, beautiful menu! So nice to see new stuffs on a menu, changing from chicken livers, stuffed mushrooms....
Everything was so delicious! Very well priced for the food they served!
The strawberries crumble and licorish Ice Cream is a must!!!! Exceptionnal!

• Visited September 2012
Johannesburg
“Interesting and extraordinary food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Licorish Bistro is one of my new favourite restaurants in Jozi.

The food is so unusual, but really delicious. From interesting breakfasts that make plain egg and bacon options seem dull (like their eggs in sweet susheba with chorizo) to their street food menu (try the bunny chow. It's scrumptious*), every menu item is well thought out. While some of the combinations sound strange, they work. My favourites so far are the seared tuna steak with wasabi potatoes, the Ostrich fillet with baba ganoush** and beetroot chutney and, for dessert, the completely amazing fennel and honey cheesecake with smoked chocolate and Pernod jelly.

I chose to have my birthday dinner at Licorish because my husband and I both enjoy the food there so much, but I must admit it's not somewhere I could take my fussy family to eat as the food would be "too complicated" for my dad and brother, who are very much "meat, rice and potatoes" men.

For those who like something out of the ordinary, however, Licorish is fabulous. The service is also brilliant and while the Nicolway restaurant strip can get very noisy on weekends, the ambiance is pleasant too.

*For non-South Africans, bunny chow is bread stuffed with curry. It has nothing to do with real bunnies, I promise.
** A type of eggplant dip

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Hospitality at its finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of dining at Licorish. I found the experience to be very rewarding. While the restaurant had not obtained its liquor license yet, we were able to talk a bottle of our own wine. An absolutely fabulous gentlemen I pressume to be the owner was dutiful in his rounds and was instrumental in our decisions for which meals to have. His suggestions were perfect and the meal he suggested will not be easily forgotten. Sadly, our table was cleared prematurely while we had a cigarette outside. We had not yet finished our bottle of wine and were rather disappointed. The owner was quick to rectify the situation by generously offering us a bottle of our choice. This made a great impact on us and is a reason we shall go back there, for this level of hospitality is refreshing and appreciated. I must recommend the Prawn and Crab Pilaf for mains, with the Strawberry Crumble and Liquorish Ice Cream was fantastic for dessert.

• Visited August 2012