“54 On Bath delivers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 54 on Bath

You added 54 on Bath to your Saves list
54 on Bath
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   54 Bath Avenue, Rosebank, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Special Rate
Celebrate Life in Style
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg
“54 On Bath delivers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I spent a fabulous night at 54 On Bath recently.

The night was to be a birthday surprise for Oliver, which I mentioned to Jacques Moolman - the manager.

When we entered our room, there was a bottle of bubbly on ice, a fantastic mini "high tea" including macaroons, and gorgeous cupcakes, and beside this was a spectacular carrot cake for two with "Happy Birthday" written on the plate in chocolate. Be still my beating heart! Joy! This was even a surprise for me!

The re-design of the hotel is a huge success, with classy grey, black and white as the basic pallette. Very comfortable beds, beautiful bed linen, and glorious matresses made sure we slept well.

The staff were outstandingly friendly - every need was taken care of. The branding of the soaps, airsprays, toiletries, laundry bags, shoe bags, newspaper bags, everything is well thought through and beautifully executed.

The breakfast was yummy, with a great menu, catering for all types. Sitting peacefully in the sun with breeze blowing through the new spring leaves of the trees on the terrace up on the balcony is a pleasure - especially when this hotel is in the bustling Rosebank.

It was a wonderful experience all round, thank you Jacques and team - and well done!

Room Tip: We stayed in 901, which was divine, as there were windows on two sides of the room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear HMAG101,

Thank you for taking your time to share your review on Trip Advisor, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that we could pamper you once we knew of your celebration! You have highlighted several of the little comforts and surprises our guests discover at 54 on Bath and I trust they made a positive impact during your stay.

We hope we can welcome you home to your residence in Rosebank very soon!

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My mum and I stayed at 54 on Bath for one night while waiting to making a flight connection to Zambia. I have to say I was horrified by the entire hotel experience. I do not know where these other reviewers are coming from, but the whole experience was terrible. The guy doing the check in neglected to take a deposit on my credit card and so when I went to charge something to my room I was embarassed by being declined. Next, they said they would offer a complementary car service to a hospital so my mum could go to the emergency room. The hospital's pharmacy was closed so we needed to go somewhere else and they charged us 450 rand to take us there (an approximately 15 minute drive). Next, the internet wasn't working and that made getting work done next to impossible. But for me the icing on the cake was in the morning when I went to take a shower. We ran the hot water for 10 minutes and the water was still ice cold. I called the front desk, and their answer was "keep running it, this happens quite often and may take 15 minutes before the hot water comes through." That type of answer would be expected if I were staying in some hotel, but not from some sort of allegedly luxury boutique hotel. I asked for another room so that we could shower and it took them 15 minutes to find one, at which point we didn't have time to shower and still make our flight that morning. Our car service driver to the airport arrived early and the hotel refused to call and tell us that he was there. As we were chatting with the driver, he told us that he had heard a lot of terrible things about the hotel. All in all, I will never stay here again. We stayed in some wonderful hotels during our time in South Africa and never expected to be so disappointed with our stay. And the best part of it all was that the manager e-mailed after my departure to to tell me the water situation had never happened, although his front desk person said that it was quite common.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
54onBathJNB, General Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We respect our guest’s opinion and her right to express her views on TripAdvisor. Whilst we accept we may not be perfect to all of the people all of the time this does not deter our dedicated team of staff from trying their best.

As General Manager of 54 on Bath, I was aware of the difficulties that you encountered during your stay and missed you by minutes on your departure. I responded to you in writing, directly after your departure (I could not get hold of you telephonically) on two occasions, to both apologise for the issues you encountered and to make reparation. At this juncture I can clarify two points; in my response I erred on the side of subtlety by implying David (lauded as a superstar employee just a couple of reviews ago) had not followed procedure by asking you for a credit card authorisation at check in – as happens in most hotels around the globe. David reliably informed afterwards me that you refused to leave an authorisation and as such our guests are required to settle their expenses at point of service, any notion of embarassment should really be unfounded.

With regards to the hot water, I neither questioned your experience nor rejected your observation I merely apologised and stated that the hotel was running at full occupancy yet no other guests had issues with a lack of hot water; the full occupancy also explains the 15 minute wait the following day as our housekeeping team scrambled to prepare a clean room for you, a situation I’m afraid that is controlled by other guests’ movements. As I mentioned reparations for your stay were offered to you for the inconveniences you encountered.

I fully accept your dissatisfaction with our wi-fi service and I can confirm that we had a major technical issue during your stay that was reliant on third-parties to repair. Accordingly we had teams of specialists working day and night to resolve but we did not have connectivity during your stay. I sincerely apologise for the lack of this essential service and I entirely understand our guests’ frustrations and the problems or annoyance experienced as a result.

Our team put great effort into ensuring you received your emergency medication and whilst, from your lodge in the bush, you requested a doctor to await your arrival in the hotel you rejected the charges that they would have applied for this service, we then took you, in our courtesy car, to the nearby Rosebank Clinic but its pharmacy had already closed. We do offer a host of complimentary services in the hotel including a shuttle bus to local (4kms) malls during daytime hours so I am unsure where the expectation arose that you would have expected a 32 kilometre round trip to be complimentary. My staff tell me you were appalled at the thought of paying for this trip, but in an effort to ensure your satisfaction we discounted your bill on the spot by R150 prior to your journey.

When it comes to your departure I apologise that you encountered delays as this was not brought to my attention. Since your transfer to the airport was not conducted by one of our chauffeur drive staff I can say with confidence, and with reference to other reviews and experiences of my guests, it is very unlikely your driver is of service to guests of 54 on Bath and would therefore not be in a position to make such wildly inaccurate statements. I can assure you however that he would have been treated with the utmost respect by our Commissionaires and their fabulous team of porters and they would have ensured your hasty and timely departure had they been informed.

Our mantra at the hotel is one of service with complete dedication to our guests and looking after their individual needs. I regret to respond in this manner but I feel I need to share our side of the story.

Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at 54 on Bath for Business. What a great experience: high professional service from a fantastic staff in a ambience with beautiful decor and art. Enjoyed the room fully, and especially the bed and linen.
I would recommend to have a pre dinner drink at the Champagne bar at the terrace garden overlooking the city.
The restaurant at the 4th floor was a great culinary experience which i enjoyed fully.
The staff at 54 on Bath really cared and looked well after me. I will be back on my next business trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
54onBathJNB, Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Dionisius123 ,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the comforts of your room and I can second your recommendation of a glass of Champagne before dinner, or indeed at any other time. Here is a little quote by Roman Payne that I hope will create both past and future memories of 54 on Bath.

“Champagne arrived in flûtes on trays, and we emptied them with gladness in our hearts… for when feasts are laid and classical music is played, where champagne is drunk once the sun has sunk and the season of summer is alive in spicy bloom, and beautiful women fill the room, and are generous with laughter and smiles… these things fill men’s hearts with joy and remind one that life’s bounty is not always fleeting but can be captured, and enjoyed..”

We look forward to your next visit!

Versoix, GE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

An elegant hotel that lets its people shine. By the end of my 8 night stay there, I was sad to leave and really hope to stay with you all again. The nice touches in the rooms (the window in the shower, the little snack and fresh juice at turndown, the illy coffee machine) the free pressing, the super pillows. Local art hangs on the wall - always nice. All lovely though sometimes it took a day or two for used dishes to disappear. The restaurant speed was less brilliant but a nice venue. I brought my team of 8 for lunch, explaining that we needed to get in & out, & it took 50 minutes to be served. When, on a different day I was dining alone, it took four requests to get wifi password only to be told that it was broken. That said, the food was delicious & staff was extremely friendly.
As for our function, again, the support staff were marvelous, the catering guys flexible - they were happy to engage, answer questions and serve when needed but invisible when appropriate. The food was ALWAYS good.

Room Tip: Pool side is quieter!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear EBlitz,

Thanks for your review. It's great to see that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us at 54 on Bath, I do note we have some interactions with our staff and partners to pick up on finer detail and thank you for pointing these out for our attention and action.
We'd be delighted to welcome you back home when you are next in Johannesburg and hope that it is not too long before you return.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just spent 7 days at 54 on Bath in the vibrant and transforming city of Johannesburg. The rooms are modern, cool with the most comfortable beds and crisp sheets. The bathrooms are well appointed with separate showers. There are tots of plugs conveniently located for technology and plenty of space to unpack. The rooms facing the pool are the best with light and views over the city. I especially love the generosity. Tea, lattes and little bites are complimentary in the lobby lounge and every night a sweet treat is presented during turn down service by one of the staff in your room with free bottled water. A big plus for business travelers is the easy and complimentary access to an outstanding gym with an excellent array of musical choices provided by the General manager on loaned MP3s. The staff is lovely and willing to help. For a real can do caring attitude, ask for Dudu and David at the front desk.

The only problem we encountered was the wifi in the rooms but the hotel manager is aware of the deficiency and is working on adding servers to rectify the problem. I really look forward to returning to this hotel and to enjoying the calm serenity and generous spirit in the heart of Africa. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers and families.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are brighter and lighter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
54onBathJNB, General Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear desirose8,

Thanks for sharing your views on Trip Advisor. It is great to learn you enjoyed 54 on Bath and thanks for highlighting David and Dudu as two of the team that stood out for you - at the end of the day we are a people business with beds and not a bed business with people and we believe that's where the difference lies; I'll pass on my thanks to them personally.

I look forward to your next visit and trust you will make our small hotel your own home away from home when you are in Johannesburg.

Best wishes
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

At the end of our wonderful travels in Africa we stayed at 54 on Bath. We were so glad that we did. From the welcome (yes we were actually made to feel welcome) we received on check in to our check out we received nothing but friendly, professional service from a well trained team.. Food was top class and beautifully served. The decor and furnishing are beautiful. We were so sorry that we weren't staying longer in the hotel, and there are not many hotels that you could say that about. Thank you

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
54onBathJNB, General Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Una M,

Thank you so much for your positive review and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your travels to Africa and we are delighted to have been part of that experience. I do hope we shall be on your itinerary when you next visit our shores.

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Points for style and fabulous location directly across from the Rosebank mall. Private parking also nice.

But I can't say I liked the wifi that was off 1/4 of the time and glacially slow except after 11 pm. Or the towel rack that fell halway from the wall and wasnt repaired. Or the room service which didnt answer half the times I rang. Or the cleaning staff who came to my room at 8:30 pm. For the price, fair to expect better execution.

• Stayed August 2013
54onBathJNB, General Manager at 54 on Bath, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear MarkP_9,

Thanks very much for your honest review and valuable feedback - highly appreciated!

I am extremely sorry to learn your impression of our hotel and to hear that your stay was far from perfect. These specific complaints are not ones we receive often but I acknowledge we managed to miss the boat badly during your stay; as you can see from many of our other Trip Advisor reports this is not an example of our normal guest experience.

Our small hotel is designed for a very personal level of comfort and interaction but clearly were not able to match our personal philosophy with your expectations. Obviously we find this regretful and would love to have the opportunity to show you what a great hotel we can be. Next time you visit Johannesburg will you please let us know?

My sincerest apologies again and I trust to meet up with you personally next time you visit.

Jacques Moolman

Been to 54 on Bath? Share your experiences!