“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Simonne

Save Saved
You added Villa Simonne to your Saves list
Villa Simonne
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   16 West Street Lower Houghton, Johannesburg 2198, South Africa   |
Ranked #13 of 229 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Europe
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed in January 2013 with my wife and two children for 5 days in the 2 bedroom apartment Florence. The hotel and its grounds are definitely an experience and something that I have never seen in my life. The management and staff are delightful and hospital people, they did everything in their reach to make us feel at ease, after an unfortunate event, in this family style hotel.
We will definitely come back to this hotel at our next stay in Johannesburg

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Spent a magical week in Joburg recently. The work not so much, but evenings were filled with camaraderie, conversations and flow of ideas all inspired no doubt by ample supplies of brandy and hot water and other libations of global flavors

The Inn keeper's heir apparent - Mr Dimitri him of the radical alternative medicine specialty has now come back to take care of the business affairs of this wonderful B&B established by his father

This B&B is inspired by the hot spots of the world -- Olympia, Bali, Rome Egypt with each room having objects d'art from those particular parts of the world. Valuable carpets adorn the place along with 2 family dogs who are very much a part of the B&B as their proprieters. And it works because is all nicely tended to by a very good wait staff fronted by the very able Nicole and other cast of characters

Would highly recommend this place for young couples romancing or older couples celebrating or indeed anybody who love all things eclectic in life. This is truly a throwback to an era passed that will never be regained. Do not miss having a drink at the "Hollywood" bar - a tribute to Hollywood actors of old, complete with its own casino table, jazz ensemble & disco ball to boot

I look forward to another trip to Joburg simply to relax at the bar or the garden area & get a flavor of what is a once in a lifetime B&B experience

Room Tip: All rooms are very different but choose the ones overlooking the swimming pool...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My stay at Villa Simonne was so much more than i expected. An escape from reality & the hustle & bustle, yet 2 mins from the highway and corporate world, making it perfectly located!!

The staff were all very friendly and helpful in everyway, making my stay truly unforgettable.

Each area in Villa Simonne has so much history and culture, alot of effort and detail has gone into the decor. Its all so glamorous, elegant and interesting.

My suit, The Marakesh had a dreamy & classy feel (even romantic making it perfect for a couple), sitting on the bacalcony looking out onto the lucious garden, it was so peaceful, I felt like I was out in nature on a retreat.

I especially love the Grand Bar and Saloon, so unique!!

The garden looked magical & mystical. So beautiful, pitty about the rain, would have loved to see the night garden, I'll definitely see the magic on my next stay:)

I cant quite call Villa Simone a Guest lodge, its in a class of its own, like nothing Ive seen before. perfect for a couples retreat. business trips or even just an overnight stay, infact, there's so much to see & experience, one night is just not enough.

Thank you.... I'll Definitely be back!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I booked in to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. It was a perfect in every way and a dream come true.

The atmosphere is incredible and the decor and attention to detail is amazing: we travel a lot and we have never seen anything like it.

The staff were wonderful, and went out of their way to make it an unforgettable weekend for us. They even set a romantic table for us in the garden on the African Queen Barge – a very special evening.

Special thanks to Nadine – you were amazing. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

“Wow, what an experience! I thought I had seen it all…until I arrived at Villa Simonne.
My job involves a lot of travel, and I’ve stayed at dozens of Hotels and Guest Houses around the world. Having said that, this is the first review I have ever taken the time to write. This place is special…very special!
Villa Simonne is a massive family home that has been converted into a boutique hotel. I stayed at the Villa for 6 days, and discovered a new hidden treasure every day.
What impressed me most was the amount of choice available in terms of entertainment. Unlike other Hotels or B and B’s where you are virtually kept prisoner in your room or the lobby, the Villa has a vast amount of entertainment areas and activities to unwind in or keep you busy.
If you feel like quite time, there are many beautiful little areas to hide in and not be found by anyone (I recommend the “Parthenon” or Boma area for this). If you’re in more of a sociable mood, you can play a game of snooker in the saloon, or socialize with other guests in the stunning “nightclub” (Yes, it actually has a nightclub, which is set in an early 20’s “prohibition theme.” It’s like you’ve fallen down a time portal). Absolutely beautiful.
The staff were perfect – efficient, accommodating and friendly.
The rooms were incredible – I stayed in the Hollywood Garden Suite – amazing! It was fully equipped with full kitchen, dining room, study, and more… Extremely good value for money!
Do NOT miss out – of you are ever in Johannesburg, this is the place to stay at!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for 4 unforgettable nights. I booked into in the Marrakesh Suite – it was a truly gorgeous and massive room – I did not feel like I was in Johannesburg at all. To me, this is not a Guest Lodge, nor a Boutique Hotel, but a unique environment in a class of its own. It has a hundred times more personality than your average hotel, and is even more luxurious. I spent most of my nights after work in the “Grand Nightclub” – an amazing room that made me feel like I was Humphrey Bogart in the movie “Casablanca”. The staff were extremely helpful and managed to strike the right balance between friendly and professional. The complementary breakfast was consistently delicious every morning, and the little touches like complimentary port and chocolate in the room made me feel welcome and at home. Great value for money, very central location. I could not find fault with anything, and I would recommend Villa Simonne to anyone. I plan on returning in a few months – this time with my wife, and checking into the Moulin Rouge Suite for a more romantic excursion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I checked into this beautiful property in Houghton - Villa Simonne - and was truly awestruck by its grandeur and under-stated elegance. The place is more like a resort - a happy retreat - and less of a claustraphobic hotel room. The place is huge, and looks heavenly by the night, with the spectacular lights kissing the property from different angles. There is lot of greenery in here, and you wake up to the chirpings of birds - and yes, at times, the tranquility is disturbed only by silence itself. But most importantly, was truly overwhelmed by the hospitality showered - this place is more like an extended family. This place, and its staff so richly deserve this compliment - its like a second home to me, and cant wait to check in again in this grand place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Villa Simonne? Share your experiences!