“A dream come true” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Simonne

You added Villa Simonne to your Saves list
Villa Simonne
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   16 West Street Lower Houghton, Johannesburg 2198, South Africa   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #22 of 260 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A dream come true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I booked in to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. It was a perfect in every way and a dream come true.

The atmosphere is incredible and the decor and attention to detail is amazing: we travel a lot and we have never seen anything like it.

The staff were wonderful, and went out of their way to make it an unforgettable weekend for us. They even set a romantic table for us in the garden on the African Queen Barge – a very special evening.

Special thanks to Nadine – you were amazing. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

“Wow, what an experience! I thought I had seen it all…until I arrived at Villa Simonne.
My job involves a lot of travel, and I’ve stayed at dozens of Hotels and Guest Houses around the world. Having said that, this is the first review I have ever taken the time to write. This place is special…very special!
Villa Simonne is a massive family home that has been converted into a boutique hotel. I stayed at the Villa for 6 days, and discovered a new hidden treasure every day.
What impressed me most was the amount of choice available in terms of entertainment. Unlike other Hotels or B and B’s where you are virtually kept prisoner in your room or the lobby, the Villa has a vast amount of entertainment areas and activities to unwind in or keep you busy.
If you feel like quite time, there are many beautiful little areas to hide in and not be found by anyone (I recommend the “Parthenon” or Boma area for this). If you’re in more of a sociable mood, you can play a game of snooker in the saloon, or socialize with other guests in the stunning “nightclub” (Yes, it actually has a nightclub, which is set in an early 20’s “prohibition theme.” It’s like you’ve fallen down a time portal). Absolutely beautiful.
The staff were perfect – efficient, accommodating and friendly.
The rooms were incredible – I stayed in the Hollywood Garden Suite – amazing! It was fully equipped with full kitchen, dining room, study, and more… Extremely good value for money!
Do NOT miss out – of you are ever in Johannesburg, this is the place to stay at!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here for 4 unforgettable nights. I booked into in the Marrakesh Suite – it was a truly gorgeous and massive room – I did not feel like I was in Johannesburg at all. To me, this is not a Guest Lodge, nor a Boutique Hotel, but a unique environment in a class of its own. It has a hundred times more personality than your average hotel, and is even more luxurious. I spent most of my nights after work in the “Grand Nightclub” – an amazing room that made me feel like I was Humphrey Bogart in the movie “Casablanca”. The staff were extremely helpful and managed to strike the right balance between friendly and professional. The complementary breakfast was consistently delicious every morning, and the little touches like complimentary port and chocolate in the room made me feel welcome and at home. Great value for money, very central location. I could not find fault with anything, and I would recommend Villa Simonne to anyone. I plan on returning in a few months – this time with my wife, and checking into the Moulin Rouge Suite for a more romantic excursion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I checked into this beautiful property in Houghton - Villa Simonne - and was truly awestruck by its grandeur and under-stated elegance. The place is more like a resort - a happy retreat - and less of a claustraphobic hotel room. The place is huge, and looks heavenly by the night, with the spectacular lights kissing the property from different angles. There is lot of greenery in here, and you wake up to the chirpings of birds - and yes, at times, the tranquility is disturbed only by silence itself. But most importantly, was truly overwhelmed by the hospitality showered - this place is more like an extended family. This place, and its staff so richly deserve this compliment - its like a second home to me, and cant wait to check in again in this grand place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have stayed at this Villa twice and it is truly magical! Each room is a journey of discovery and delight - even the standard suites is ten times more spacious than your average city hotel room and much more affordable!
Around each corner there is something special - whether in the beautiful gardens or the main villa.
The staff is extremely professional and always willing to go the extra mile. I will definitely be back for more visits and would highly recommend this for anyone who is tired of the generic, cramped and boring city hotel. Villa Simonne ROCKS!!

• Stayed November 2012
Penrith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I arrived after a 10hr delay frazzled to this little oasis with its beautiful art-deco furnishings.
I love old school glamour and this has it all but unlike the 20s chic has warmth and cosines too.The owners and staff are amazing and it will be going on my top ten places to stay ask my friends I'm fussy .It is located near to where Nelson Mandela now lives and very near to Jo-berg .
If your looking for small and friendly then this is like staying at your friends and I would recommend it to anyone.I have the geisha room which is beautiful only problem is I'm not sharing it with my someone special,but if you are looking for a romantic get away mark this on the bucket list.My boys would also love it as its eclectic mix with a splash of old world Greek is right up their street .The gardens and pool are beautiful and provide a calming place to chillax

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
East London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I must say that I prefer clean lines in design and finishings, I found this place to be a bit on the heavy side for me in terms of design and feel. The one thing you cannot fault is the attention to detail in the designs, even if they didn't appeal to me, and I must qualify that this is not because the place was not sufficient but I just didn't connect with the ambiance. Penny is an amazing host and are a rare breed in service excellence and Nadine is an absolute star, there is a welcome that is just right. I didn't appreciate the dogs running around free, but that's part of the charm of guesthouses, I prefer a much more professional approach but my son didn't mind and was very happy to spend time with the chaps. The evening lights are absolutely breathtaking. You really have to walk up a set of two stairs to get to your room if you are appointed either the Japanese or North Orleans Suites.

Room Tip: If you don't understand the Japanese concept, avoid the Geisha Room, the bed is low and though i...