“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Cape Town, South Africa
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Staying over at the Melrose Arch is an experience in its own right. Very friendly and professional staff. You feel welcome from the moment you walk in. We stayed in an executive suite; the rooms are spacious and luxurious. Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2013
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Thinuslg3108
Thank you very much for staying with us and the excellent feedback!
The TEAM are very glad to hear that when you travel back to JHB you will come home to us!
See you soon!
Kind regards

306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Having Just returned from a week in Johannesburg, I can truthfully say, the staff at this hotel played a major role in our having the most spectacular time!
Being greeted with such warmth that I felt like a long lost family member that had just arrived home, was the beginning!

I am deeply ashamed that I didn't take the time to learn the names of the 6 ladies behind the front desk , or the gentlemen who parked and retrieved out car daily and nightly! This is not a crew who are merely doing their job, but the most hard working, charming, whatever you need group of hoteliers I have ever met. NOT ONE member of this hotel's staff was ever unpleasant, rude, or even just a little lukewarm! We witnessed the rudest, most obnoxious couple trying to get free internet in the lobby (NOT GUESTS-I was nosey I listened in) and the cool, firm but still charming way the staff dealt with this was unbelievable - I felt a kick in the pants was warranted.....
The Warmth people talk about in Africa, can be found consistently here, and I was so happy I changed my end of year plans to tuck in a quick stay at this hotel again!
Rooms are lovely, spacious and little touches like a bowl of M&M's in the room, biltong to greet you, refilled bottles of filtered water every day, and rubber duckies to play with in the bath (YES I DID) just add to the smile this place will plaster across your face!

The pool is brilliant too, with the option of taking your cocktails or meals at a table IN the POOL TOO!! And free sunscreen tubes are left in a tub of ice for guests use!

Anyone reading this will know how many hotels in how many cities and countries I have stayed over the years, this one is the most welcoming, efficient, comfortable, happy, lovely, charming place I have stayed in to date! EVER!
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE AT The African Pride Hotel FOR ONE OF THE BEST STAYS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! NGABONGA!

Room Tip: All rooms are identical! Choose either Square View or Pool View! Both Views seem good! Rooms are v...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Chantal42
Your kind words of gratitude towards the TEAM is what we strive to achieve on a daily basis!
Thank you for the excellent feedback, and for sharing this special memory with us - we cannot wait to host you again before year end!
Ukunibonga kakhulu (we thank you!)
See you soon!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

To start with the positives, I really liked the original decor of the hotel and the rooms. The breakfast is fantastic, and I wasn't disappointed by the bar and restaurant services.
However, they are several aspects that left me with an overall bad impression. My room wasn't particularly clean. I was there for business and the lighting system is not at all convenient if you need to work. I had every day of my four nights visit a problem with the service: repeated misunderstandings and mistakes from the reception desk (drivers, visitors, recommendations) and had to deal with some pretty scornful waitresses.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alix1710

Thank you very much for staying with us while visiting JHB!
The TEAM are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and Food and Beverage outlets. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses experienced in other area's within the hotel - this is by no means the norm.
We are currently busy with an extensive service training program, where all areas of the hotels' operations and services rendered will be reviewed and retrained.
I would like to personally welcome you back to the hotel on your return to SA - please contact me directly when you are traveling again, on: gm@melrosearchhotel.com as I would like to assist with your reservation.
The TEAM look forward to hosting you again.
Kind regards
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Really satisfied with the great service and friendly staff. Was not too thrilled when my wife said she booked us in at Melrose Arch Hotel for my Birthday. Don’t really like hotels, but went with it. Food was great, especially the breakfast. Good bar service and cocktail knowledge. The room and hotel in general was really clean, can’t say that for most hotels 5 star or not. So just want to say thank you Melrose Arc, you impressed us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Pieter N
The TEAM are delighted to have converted you to a hotel enthusiast!
We would also like to thank your wife, for making the decision to spoil you in such a special manner for your birthday - a visit to our beautiful hotel!
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your memories!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I really like this hotel, I like the location and decor, and it has the potential. But currently I fail to see how this place has five stars.

On arrival the valet said if we wanted to park at the door and be helped with our bags it is R85 a day. We said that is ridiculous so he said we could park underground and carry our own bags up which we did. On check in the front desk seemed horrified that we had to do this.

Room was good and clean, mini bar extremely over priced ( I have stayed in more exclusive places and this is either free or priced reasonably, (R50 for a Snapple is insane)

First night we had drinks at the pool, ordered mojitos which were served with lemons and not limes. Menu indicated limes, and quite frankly don't serve mojitos if you don't have the ingredients. Tapas foods we had pork ribs (good) duck samosas (strange) haloumi cheese ( completely undercooked with no colour)

Drinks same night in library, sat outside, great atmosphere, waited 10 minutes to be served by a gent with a bad attitude. Cocktails strawberry daq (good) blueberry fiz (bad tasted like they literally used a whole ginger in fact there were large chunks) we asked if we could see a menu for the hotel restaurant while we had drinks to decide where to dine, we were told to fetch it ourselves from reception (five star I think not)

Dinner we eventually ate in the room. This was satisfactory

Breakfast we arrived at the restaurant gave our room number and sat down. We were presented with the menu and were told we can either have buffet or choose off what looked like ala carte. We had scrambled eggs and salmon on toast( we asked for rye and they don't have this) so tough luck if you have a wheat in tolerance. Toast was cremated and salmon had bones in. We also had a cappuccino each. We asked for the bill and were presented with a bill for R390. I complained and was told oh sorry we didn't explain the menu properly. And yet they still expected me to sign, told them I am not paying this ridiculous price and they must sort it out.( result of this I don't know yet checking out later today so we will see)

We then went to reception and asked them to validate our parking which they duly did.

We returned to the hotel at 5 to shower and go through to shop at sandton. We parked and went upstairs for 30minutes and returned back down to validate our parking only to be told that the parking is charged at R85 by the hotel, even if you park for 1hour they will still bill you R85 as they don't have their own parking! This is pathetic and a joke. For the price this place charges they should sort it out. We then took our ticket and said we would pay oursleves downstairs pissed off at the fact that the lady from the morning just charged our room and didn't bother to tell us.

We looked at the pay parking in the underground and found that the maximum the pay parking charges is R75' yes the hotel has a cheek to charge you a R10 premium for something that should be free.

Dinner we ate out at the Orient it was good.

All in all not impressed and these issues need to be addressed, I am a firm believer that staff attitude and experience comes from above, so I would suggest that management takes a serious look at themselves before coming down on their staff which ultimately take the lead from them.

Protea and African Pride are fantastic hotels (15 on orange excellent) but this place is well below par.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear kinetic46
Thank you very much for staying with us, and for taking my call a little earlier to discuss your visit.
The TEAM are very disappointed to hear that you did not get to experience The African Pride Melrose Arch for what we pride ourselves in – service beyond expectation.
All the points mentioned have been looked into, and addressed with the TEAM; current service and product training is continuously taking place at the hotel – your points mentioned have been highlighted to ensure these do not occur again.
The TEAM – look forward to your return, and I can’t wait to personally welcome you back soon!
Sincere regards
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good stores and several options of restaurants around. Hotel is very modern and the breakfast was amazing, I really enjoyed. The option for dining are very good. It is a great alternative if one does not want to stay in the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Dear ChicagoPink
Thank you for staying with us – the Gautrain from OR Tambo International, to Sandton is a very easy and convenient way to get to the best of what JHB has to offer!
The TEAM are glad you enjoyed our dining options – specially our breakfast!
Safe travels – see you soon!
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Every single piece of the decorations is very interesting and will catch your eye. Bed was very comfortable and fluffy. At night time, Marble Arch is very safe but very "sterile", not many people wandering around, everybody seems to have a destination like a restaurant or bar. And there are many of them near the Hotel. The diversity of the Buffet Breakfast was nice to look at but it seems that the bakery is not the Chef's forté. The 2 little rubber duckies next to the large bath tub was a success for the 8 year old boy.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Mayke2
The TEAM are pleased to hear that you had a good night’s rest, in our fluffy beds and that the décor excited your senses!
We have revisited our breakfast offering and upgraded our pastry selection, to include new Danishes, Granola Bars and a selection of new sweet treats.
Our ducks are a hit – I hope they had a good bath with your son!!
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Been to African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel? Share your experiences!