I really like this hotel, I like the location and decor, and it has the potential. But currently I fail to see how this place has five stars.
On arrival the valet said if we wanted to park at the door and be helped with our bags it is R85 a day. We said that is ridiculous so he said we could park underground and carry our own bags up which we did. On check in the front desk seemed horrified that we had to do this.
Room was good and clean, mini bar extremely over priced ( I have stayed in more exclusive places and this is either free or priced reasonably, (R50 for a Snapple is insane)
First night we had drinks at the pool, ordered mojitos which were served with lemons and not limes. Menu indicated limes, and quite frankly don't serve mojitos if you don't have the ingredients. Tapas foods we had pork ribs (good) duck samosas (strange) haloumi cheese ( completely undercooked with no colour)
Drinks same night in library, sat outside, great atmosphere, waited 10 minutes to be served by a gent with a bad attitude. Cocktails strawberry daq (good) blueberry fiz (bad tasted like they literally used a whole ginger in fact there were large chunks) we asked if we could see a menu for the hotel restaurant while we had drinks to decide where to dine, we were told to fetch it ourselves from reception (five star I think not)
Dinner we eventually ate in the room. This was satisfactory
Breakfast we arrived at the restaurant gave our room number and sat down. We were presented with the menu and were told we can either have buffet or choose off what looked like ala carte. We had scrambled eggs and salmon on toast( we asked for rye and they don't have this) so tough luck if you have a wheat in tolerance. Toast was cremated and salmon had bones in. We also had a cappuccino each. We asked for the bill and were presented with a bill for R390. I complained and was told oh sorry we didn't explain the menu properly. And yet they still expected me to sign, told them I am not paying this ridiculous price and they must sort it out.( result of this I don't know yet checking out later today so we will see)
We then went to reception and asked them to validate our parking which they duly did.
We returned to the hotel at 5 to shower and go through to shop at sandton. We parked and went upstairs for 30minutes and returned back down to validate our parking only to be told that the parking is charged at R85 by the hotel, even if you park for 1hour they will still bill you R85 as they don't have their own parking! This is pathetic and a joke. For the price this place charges they should sort it out. We then took our ticket and said we would pay oursleves downstairs pissed off at the fact that the lady from the morning just charged our room and didn't bother to tell us.
We looked at the pay parking in the underground and found that the maximum the pay parking charges is R75' yes the hotel has a cheek to charge you a R10 premium for something that should be free.
Dinner we ate out at the Orient it was good.
All in all not impressed and these issues need to be addressed, I am a firm believer that staff attitude and experience comes from above, so I would suggest that management takes a serious look at themselves before coming down on their staff which ultimately take the lead from them.
Protea and African Pride are fantastic hotels (15 on orange excellent) but this place is well below par.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn’t ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Alternatively, catch the courtesy shuttle from the Gautrain station straight to the hotel where you immediately feel the pulse of urban Africa. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where décor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Otel, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Venere so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg