“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel to your Saves list
Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Johannesburg
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had the privilege of staying at this hotel twice in two months, and both experiences were very, very good indeed. One cannot ask for a better location, as this is in the heart of all the action of Melrose Arch. Wonderful staff, from Valet staff to reception to housekeeping

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Scorpion 619

The TEAM were delighted to host you, and cannot wait for you to come back again!!
We are pleased to hear that this is your home in JHB!
See you soon!
Kind regards
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in this fab hotel with its crazy lighting and lovely outdoor bar area. Not for the traditional hotel lover, this place has colourful lighting (yes red lights over the bed, green lights in the shower) and quirky decor but don't let this put you off. The hotel is very comfortable, the rooms just lovely with comfortable beds, great baths and a wonderful outdoor pool area. Breakfast in the uber chic grey/silver restaurant is an experience not to be missed, including the French champagne! Loved staying here, felt very safe in the shopping area plus lots of great spots to eat out. Don't miss a pre dinner drink in the bar.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fork Talk O
Thank you for your review and the way in which you captured the fun, yet sophisticated atmosphere of the hotel!
What is luxury without comfort - I am glad you enjoyed the room, bed and amazing bath!
With the best breakfast in JHB, your positive comments will only further motivate the TEAM!
Best regards
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last month (May 2013) after I had initially made a booking at the Protea Wanderes hotel, only to find out on arriving that there was an issue with the disabled room. The general manager made the decision to move me to the Melrose Arch hotel and they would cover the difference in the room rate. Which I thought was fair.
Arrived at the hotel late on the first night, reception were expecting me and showed me to my room, which was located on the 2nd floor. Entrance to the wheelchair accessible room is easy enough. The room itself is large and spacious and had 2 3 quarter beds, desk, desk chair, safe, fridge and tea and coffee making facilities with cookies.
Bathroom... 1 large oval bathtub, and a fairly accessible roll in shower... The toilet and roll in shower area has its own sliding door and in the same area is a small basin. The basin in the bathtub area is so silly! There's no under the counter access, so in order to use the basin you have to sit sideways to the basin and do this twisting upper body move... *sigh* And this is the only basin with counter top space for toiletries.
So the roll in shower has NO shower seat or even a shower chair... After calling down to reception for a second time the following day, I was loaned the hotels wheelchair to use in the shower. The shower has a large glass door which I was so scared of hitting and breaking! Trying to navigate past the glass door and into the shower itself was a bit of a challenge... The shower isn't very wide but the wheelchair does fit into the shower with some moving about, its just getting into the shower that's the problem. oh and there's no height adjustable shower handle, just the normal shower head up top, which was pretty awesome, I must admit. To wash my hair I made use of the hand held shower handle which was on the oval bathtub. If they could only make the pull door into a sliding door or get rid of the massive bathtub and make the shower entrance there...
Other things which bothered me about the room...
No lowered hang rails in the cupboard (seriously)
Safe is situated pretty high up, so if anything rolls to the back of the safe, good luck trying to reach it...
The lighting!!! Are you kidding me! Bedroom area has red lights and the bathroom area green... if you want to read while in bed... Forget it! Red lights aren't for reading... And there are no bedside lamps... AND the light switches are so far out of reach I was using the light from the tv to get into bed at night after switching of all the lights... The only real reading light was at the desk area.
And the only control for the aircon is situated at the door, so don't get into bed, get all comfy and then realise you've forgotten to switch it off...

Things at the hotel which I really enjoyed:
Foyer smelt like Davidoff's Cool Waters aftershave.
I love the look of the hotel inside.
View from the room is of Melrose square which is very nice.
The staff are really friendly and very willing to assist. I had a hire car with hand controls but needed help to put my wheelchair into the car and all I had to do was ask and someone was there regardless of time of day.
The hotel is within walking distance of some great restaurants! And also a Clicks, which is just around the corner if you need any toiletries or snacks etc.
Garage parking.

Would I stay there again if I can afford to. Yes! Even with all the niggles mentioned, it's hard to beat the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear kaAngel
I am glad that we were able to accommodate at such short notice, thank you for your feedback!
I am extremely pleased to hear that you had such wonderful encounters with the TEAM and enjoyed the hotel and its location.
Your suggestions are definately something I will look into with the TEAM.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The staff at the African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel was WONDERFUL! This hotel understands the importance of customer service and courtesy.

The hotel is located in a nice shopping mall area with plenty of restaurants surrounding the hotel for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

The hotel is located in a very safe area and I felt very at ease and safe walking around the hotel surrounding area at night.

The one downside is the hotel does not have a gym, but there is one walking distance from the hotel. When I asked the receptionist if the hotel offered a complimentary pass to the gym in walking distance I was told for $200 Rand ($20) I could get a guest pass to the gym. You might say $20 is not alot and I agree. However, if you stayed at a comparable hotel in the U.S., if they did not have a gym they would provide you a complimentary pass to the local gym. Therefore, for the price I was paying for a week stay at this hotel I feel they should have eaten this cost and just provided me, and other guest, with a complimentary membership for the week.

Room Tip: My daughter and I stayed in the room with the two twin beds. The beds were a bit hard for my liking.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear RenNupe
Thank you for your review and positive feedback regarding the TEAM. I am fortunate to work with such a passionate, professional and friendly TEAM, dedicated to providing the best GUEST service. The TEAM really appreciate your amazing feedack!
I understand your concern regarding the gym and will look into the matter.
We can't wait to host you again!
Sincere regards
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went to Johannesburg for the first time for work, and stayed at African Pride Melrose Arch. Many business people stay there because it's deemed to be in a safe location, a consideration that most travellers are advised on before they enter South Africa. Overall it was an OK stay at Melrose Arch, not one to howl about.

Positives
1. Hotel is new and in a modern area. It'll suddenly seem like you're in midtown San Francisco. Safe.
2. Generally clean.
3. Big bed.
4. Hotel is just 4 stories tall, so walking down the stairs when the lift isn't there is a refreshing option.
5. Hotel can arrange two-way transport to your destination. It cost ZAR160 for a trip to our meeting location about 5km away.
6. There's one universal-ish socket at the desk for most plugs - it was easy to charge my laptop here. The ZA power socket is a one-of-a-kind 3 round pin socket.
7. Really liked the cookies by the coffee maker and chocolates by the bed.
8. I didn't eat at the hotel but the surrounding restaurants are fabulous. Go to JB's corner just 50m from the hotel entrance for breakfast. Meat & Co. just in front of the hotel serves up great carnivorous fare.

Negatives
1. Lighting - The hotel has this avant garde look and feel about it, with lots of quirky wall art and colour themes. What bothered me were the red lights in the room and green lights in the bathroom. The red lights were linked to the other brighter lights so if I turned them off, I would be sitting in a dim room.
2. Inconvenient switches and wall sockets - There aren't any sockets next to the bed. So I can't conveniently charge my phone and use the alarm function to wake up. The socket for plugging in the iron is below the desk.
3. During the turn down service, someone comes in and lights three tealight candles by the bathtub. It sort of freaks me out a little that there are open flames in my hotel room.
4. Window blinds - The curtains draw vertically only. This means guests can have no natural light in, dim light through the semi-sheer blinds or all the light in with blinds up. Horizontally drawn curtains would allow guests to control the natural lighting (and privacy) better.
5. General decor - Personally I feel that the hotel tries to hard to be special. The gaudy colours, clashing patterns and quirky decor end up becoming kitschy. Scaling back with muted colours with colourful accents would give the hotel a more refined persona without losing charm.
6. Given the nature of the Melrose Arch compound, it would be good if the hotel provided kitschy a simple map and directory of the shops and restaurants in the area.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear gurms

Your detailed feedback is highly appreciated and will assist with our search for excellence.
Our location in the safe and secure precinct is great feature for all GUESTS that stay with us. The array of shops and restaurants, within walking distance ensure variety and convenience as well. I am glad that the layout, cleanliness and bed were all to your liking.
I have taken note of your concerns around the lighting. This is something we will be looking into.
Safe travels!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel is fantastic property within the Melrose Arch precinct. Highly recommend staying in Melrose Arch as one can walk around as there is 24 hour security and lots of cafes and shops.

The hotel is in a prime spot, right on the main square of the precinct. Tons of food choices right around the hotel. The hotel itself is fantastic -- trendy and cool but with a local flair. The rooms are really comfortable, large and have all the modern amenities in terms of technology and any other items that one may need. Great bathroom with shower, tub, large sink area and lots of space.

The hotel's restaurant is fantastic. Had breakfast and dinner there...everything was amazing. If you do the buffet breakfast, the spread is quite overwhelming. Lots of choices in terms of fruits, juices, cereals, yogurt, breads, eggs and more!

The staff are really helpful and the travel desk is absolutely the best. Lots of individuals choose Sandton as their base in Jo'burg. My recommendation is to go with Melrose Arch -- both for this hotel and the area. I will be back and this hotel will certainly be my base.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear barca212
Being the best in Johannesburg is what we strive for! Thank you for sharing your amazing experience with the TEAM on TripAdvisor.
Our newly renovated March Restaurant is certainly one to delight the taste buds and the TEAM will be delighted with your comments.
This prime spot looks forward to your next visit!
See you soon - personal best!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel has a great location inside the trendy Melrose Arch complex, there are some great shops, restaurants and cafes within safe walking distance.
The hotel is very smart and service was superb. We checked in quite early, about 11 am but they didn't flinch and found us rooms straight away.
The rooms are not as large as I expected , but are well fitted out with all mod cons. I liked the large walk in shower with good quality toiletries provided. The bathroom is open plan with the bedroom which would not be ideal for some people when sharing.
The 'hidden' safe in the wall was a quirky and fun idea.
The DVD player and selection of discs was a nice touch, and also the fresh coffee & french press which was provided.
It was suprising to find in such a modern purpose built hotel, which has obviously been very well designed, that there was no adequate bedside reading light, it was too dim to read at night, and only one bedside light which again is not ideal if sharing.
In fact the room is more suitable for a single traveller, and probably someone on business as there is a very comfortable desk/office set up.
I liked it and wished I had time to stay for more than one night. But it is an expensive hotel and despite all the super facilities I am still not sure if the extra cost, compared to the other hotel in Melrose Arch, is justifiable. I hope to go back again some time to do some more research on that !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear safaribird
Thank you for the review and feedback regarding your stay.
Attention to detail is what we aim for!
I am thrilled you enjoyed all the small touches. I note your comments regarding the lighting, which is something we will look into.
We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy it all over again!
Best regards
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Been to African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel? Share your experiences!