Look, I don't want you all thinking I only write bad reviews. But as a marketer I'm a living example of the insight that it's far easier to complain than compliment. In this review, dear traveller, I shall bravely attempt to do both.
Having arrived at the Fire and Ice! hotel yesterday (I believe the local government insisted on the exclaimation mark in response to the vast quantity of citizens who raise their eyes, maybe their voices and certainly their heart-rate when they check in.
Fire and Ice! is most certainly a good descriptor of my check in at the sister hotel. Frankly you'd expect a room to be ready for you when you check in at 7pm and you'd expect that the front desk staff (which in better establishments is called 'reception' - as they generally give a warm one) wouldn't admit to not really listening to you.
Ho hum. I tedious night, no mini bar, no bath tub and no service with a smile.
So I checked in to the MAJESTIC African Pride hotel just a hundred yards and a spritely sprint of a Rimowa away.
Melissa, I shall call her this because it IS her name. Warmly received me and apologised for my poor welcome last night. She made all attempts to secure me a room, even though the hotel was full (probably of pleased guests). No fire/no ice.
Precious, on front desk, was SO enchanting, polite and happy to help when she commented that she liked my Air Asia name card holder, I had to give it to her (I'll need to do some explaining when I get home, but it's all good karma, and I can't even drive a karma).
The room is an executive room. Which means you have a huge sitting area with chairs (always useful) a desk and a safe behind an oil painting of a man breaking into a safe. (I've always believed the best place to hide something is right out in the open).
The bed is heavenly. A bath tub will do nicely (with candles) and the wifi is spanking fast. I'll try the food later, but for now I'm content with a phenomenal check in, a warm welcome and a room that exceeds expectations.
I'll be back, watch my words.
- Also Known As:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel Johannesburg
- African Pride Melrose Arch Johannesburg
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel has become an international destination in its own right, attracting discerning GUESTS who take pleasure in modern elegance and sophistication. Sheer style and individuality is what redefines the travel experience when staying at Africa's first truly HIP 5-star Hotel. The luxurious African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa is situated within the exclusive urban Melrose Arch lifestyle development, a "city within a city", that offers an extensive array of shops and restaurants to be explored. So, if shopping is on the cards, you couldn’t ask for a better position. The entire Melrose Arch precinct is patrolled by 24 hour Security and monitored by CCTV surveillance for peace-of-mind comfort. If you want to arrive in style, simply book a transfer in one of our luxury vehicles. Alternatively, catch the courtesy shuttle from the Gautrain station straight to the hotel where you immediately feel the pulse of urban Africa. Engulf yourself in the trendy precinct that is Melrose Arch, which offers GUESTS everything and more at your doorstep. Loosen your tie and make your way outside to the Pool Bar. Make use of our complimentary internet access, take off your shoes and have lunch at our unique tables that sit in shallow water; perfect for that midday cool down. Want to get out and explore? With the vast attractions that Johannesburg has to offer, why not visit the nearby Military Museum or the musical landmark of Sophia Town; both of which have played huge roles in the history of our country. With so much to do within close proximity, a visit to our own March Restaurant is a must and offers a truly sensual dining experience; where décor meets a whimsical fusion of international flavours and cooking techniques.Too early for bed? Make yourself comfortable in the leather couches of the Library Bar. Indulge in a nightcap and be kept company by a selection of great authors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Otel, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.