“Time for a refurb at the Melrose Arch, but still a good choice” 4 of 5 stars

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Melrose Square, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #8 of 71 hotels in Johannesburg
Manhasset, New York
“Time for a refurb at the Melrose Arch, but still a good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel is perfectly located for an American Business traveler who needs places to entertain for dinner due to the multiple choices of places in the "compound" style setting where the hotel is located. The rooms are very clean, but it is time to update the decor. The lobby looks nice, but the rooms have a very modern 1990's feel to them. The hotel desk service is spotty, but a slight notch above average. The travel desk did an excellent job in arranging cars for transport to meetings and such. The breakfast was delicious and service was the best in the hotel in the lobby restaurant. They had a goofy wifi setup, where you got 500MB for free per day, but then were charged by usage from preset plans. One skype call and the free 500 was shot. Would prefer an unlimited option or included it in the room.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the pool are quieter than those that face the Meat Co and Orient.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Stewart J
Our refurbishment is on the cards!
We will be unveiling our new restaurant on the 1st February 2013 – the plans are extremely exciting!
Thanks for staying with us, and for the feedback.
The TEAM appreciate your comments and will strive to exceed your expectations!
We look forward to hosting you again soon!
Kind regards

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Windhoek, Namibia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've been using the hotel for business travel for a few years now and it never disappoints. It can just as well work for a leisure trip.

The location is safe with a plethora of great restaurants on your doorstep. The rooms are spacious and it seems that a lot of work was done to ensure that you don't hear any noise from outside.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear ColdAvis
Business or leisure I am elated to hear that the TEAM are up to it!
The Melrose Arch precinct is an excellent destination in JHB.
I am sure you will enjoy our new restaurant in 2013 – we cannot wait to host you again!
Safe travels!
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were very impressed with the interior design of this hotel, it's location and the management and staff who run the place. Sometimes contemporary design often fails to impress but not here. Our room was a delight and contained all the modern facilities you needed. The bathroom with it's rubber ducks and candle points was superbly laid out. We ate in the hotel's restaurant and had a very enjoyable meal. Great choices and options for breakfast also. My only slight disquiet was the inclusion of an 'adult' dvd left in the room as part of a selection. Perhaps that was down to the poor quality and lack of script rather than a moral objection. This hotel is a great place to stay when visiting Johannesburg.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kempr52
Thank you for your amazing feedback – the TEAM are delighted to hear that you had such an incredible experience!
We cannot wait to unveil our newly refurbished restaurant in Feb 2013!
We have taken note of your movie preference for your return visit - it was a pleasure to host you!
See you soon!
London United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here using a two for one voucher on prokard gold account. Given I was getting this was my stag weekend and meant to be a massive treat! I wish I hadn't bothered as severely let down!!!

At check in was told I had been upgraded to a "suite" room and this wasn't the case. I was in the room I had paid for. I questioned this and was told I had not been upgraded and confirming with staff the next day the room I got was not an upgrade but what I paid for. massive disappointment given I had been led to believe I had been upgraded and wasn't.

Upon check in I requested a wake up call for 9:30 the next (1st) morning. Never got it and missed my breakfast with my friends who had come from Pretoria. I did however get a call at 11:00 telling me the Internet was going to be down and upon my asking why I hadn't been woken up as I had ask I was told that I had been called. Then I was told they didn't have any record of my wake up call. Really annoying to not even get a simple answer as to why I didn't get a call.

The tv was set in French so I could not even have set the tv clock for a wake up call the next morning. Upon trying to ring down for help to fix this... Reception was engaged. Then when it did ring.... No one answered.

Upon arrival into the room the first day I had been given two bottles of still water complimentary - which is standard in protea hotel group. These are resealable water bottles and filled each day usually. Upon day two - my free night - this was not provided. The empty used bottles were not removed from the room. Assume it was because I was in fact providing any revenue room for that night.

The room keys in this hotel are an utter nightmare. If you have it within meters of a mobile phone or cell phone you need to go aaaaallllllllllll the way back downstairs to get them to issue you with a new key. Highly annoying. Only once did I return to the room and not have to take the key to be remade.

Upon returning to my room on the last night - free night - the linen on the bed had holes in it. (Photis attached) This in my mind is not acceptable for a five star hotel. Upon trying to ask about it my call to reception went unanswered. I literally have no clue how that is ok but it was what was given to me.

I then went to bed and saw the chocolate on my pillow had a finger nail mark on it. So that was not very appetising and needless to say I wouldn't have eaten that for all the money in the world!!!

I was booking into their sister hotel Fire and Ice the day I was checking out of the African Pride Melrose Arch. On the day of my checking out I asked if I could have a late check out given check out was 11am and check in at the other hotel was 2pm and was told this was not possible. I was also told assisting me to the other hotel was not possible. I have problems walking and well that was just very disappointed and wish I had stayed at the Wanderers hotel where I usually stay as their beds are always spotless and a fraction of the price than this hotel, and the MD Caroline runs the most fantastic hotel with staff always going the extra mile for their guests!!!

As a five star hotel sadly they fell very short on this stay and given how special this was meant to be for me.... I would save your money and get a MUCH better experience down the road for half the price at the Wanderers. They truly know how to look after their guests unlike this place!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Mr. Watmough
Thank you very much for taking the time to discuss your stay with me.
The TEAM have looked into all the points mentioned, and the necessary steps have been implemented to ensure this does not happen again.
Please accept my sincere apology for the experience - I look forward to personally welcoming you back!
Best regards
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Ideally situated near restaurants and in the midst of the hip Melrose precinct. The standout features are the tables in the pool for a "dipping" experience whilst dining. The Library Bar for its intimacy and ambiance. Regretfully a heavy downpour of rain did create havoc. The two rooms we were initially checked into had water leaking in and the Melrose precinct had a power failure for the entire evening. Nevertheless the hotel was well equipped with a generator which adequately made the hotel function at 90 percent. What stood out for me is how management went about managing during this stressful time. Since the rooms leaked they kindly moved us three times to a room that we were satisfied with. All of this was done with no fuss. Because of our inconvenience Samuel politely offered us a free nights accommodation with breakfast. Thank you Samuel, it was a wonderful gesture. You were the star of our trip. Keep on smiling :)

We had a wonderful dinner at the March restaurant. Great quality of food, albeit pricey. Thanks to Fifi for looking after us.

We had arranged a special breakfast and thanks to Hanroe for catering to our special dietary requirements by acquiring halal meats the day before. Again well done Fifi.

Finally thanks to Mangi at the front desk for all of his assistance

Room Tip: Face the pool area towards the end of the passage
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Seedat

After an incredibly stormy weekend….your excellent feedback was well received by the TEAM!
We really appreciate your amazing comments and for staying with us!
When situations like this arise, it is how we react, the TEAM were equal to the task.
Please accept my apology for the power issues experienced during your stay, we were affected by the electric storm in JHB.
I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon!
Kind regards
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Melrose Arch Hotel for two nights in October and it is a fabulous contemorary hotel. We had a deluxe room which was very impressive, infact as nice a room as I have ever stayed in, for me it had the wow factor. The bathroom and shower were superb and came with it's own rubber ducks which was a clever, amusing little touch. The bathroom / bedroom is open plan ( there is a curtain you can pull across if you want to) with a seperate shower room and toilet. The hotel is in a gated area which has everything you could possibly need in the way of restaurants, bars and shops and lot's of atmosphere. The staff get a ten from me as does the breakfast. Would I stay there again? Yes, for sure I would, would I recommend it? absolutely.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Suffolk Stella

My TEAM really appreciate your kind words, and are elated to hear that you had such an incredible experience at our hotel!
We have some exciting developments at the hotel coming soon, to ensure that we continue to offer a unique and dynamic product to all who visit!
I look forward to welcoming you back – safe travels!
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Been to African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel? Share your experiences!