“Outstanding modern hotel in a superb location” 5 of 5 stars

African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Melrose Square, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #10 of 72 hotels in Johannesburg
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Outstanding modern hotel in a superb location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were very impressed with the interior design of this hotel, it's location and the management and staff who run the place. Sometimes contemporary design often fails to impress but not here. Our room was a delight and contained all the modern facilities you needed. The bathroom with it's rubber ducks and candle points was superbly laid out. We ate in the hotel's restaurant and had a very enjoyable meal. Great choices and options for breakfast also. My only slight disquiet was the inclusion of an 'adult' dvd left in the room as part of a selection. Perhaps that was down to the poor quality and lack of script rather than a moral objection. This hotel is a great place to stay when visiting Johannesburg.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Kempr52
Thank you for your amazing feedback – the TEAM are delighted to hear that you had such an incredible experience!
We cannot wait to unveil our newly refurbished restaurant in Feb 2013!
We have taken note of your movie preference for your return visit - it was a pleasure to host you!
See you soon!

306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here using a two for one voucher on prokard gold account. Given I was getting this was my stag weekend and meant to be a massive treat! I wish I hadn't bothered as severely let down!!!

At check in was told I had been upgraded to a "suite" room and this wasn't the case. I was in the room I had paid for. I questioned this and was told I had not been upgraded and confirming with staff the next day the room I got was not an upgrade but what I paid for. massive disappointment given I had been led to believe I had been upgraded and wasn't.

Upon check in I requested a wake up call for 9:30 the next (1st) morning. Never got it and missed my breakfast with my friends who had come from Pretoria. I did however get a call at 11:00 telling me the Internet was going to be down and upon my asking why I hadn't been woken up as I had ask I was told that I had been called. Then I was told they didn't have any record of my wake up call. Really annoying to not even get a simple answer as to why I didn't get a call.

The tv was set in French so I could not even have set the tv clock for a wake up call the next morning. Upon trying to ring down for help to fix this... Reception was engaged. Then when it did ring.... No one answered.

Upon arrival into the room the first day I had been given two bottles of still water complimentary - which is standard in protea hotel group. These are resealable water bottles and filled each day usually. Upon day two - my free night - this was not provided. The empty used bottles were not removed from the room. Assume it was because I was in fact providing any revenue room for that night.

The room keys in this hotel are an utter nightmare. If you have it within meters of a mobile phone or cell phone you need to go aaaaallllllllllll the way back downstairs to get them to issue you with a new key. Highly annoying. Only once did I return to the room and not have to take the key to be remade.

Upon returning to my room on the last night - free night - the linen on the bed had holes in it. (Photis attached) This in my mind is not acceptable for a five star hotel. Upon trying to ask about it my call to reception went unanswered. I literally have no clue how that is ok but it was what was given to me.

I then went to bed and saw the chocolate on my pillow had a finger nail mark on it. So that was not very appetising and needless to say I wouldn't have eaten that for all the money in the world!!!

I was booking into their sister hotel Fire and Ice the day I was checking out of the African Pride Melrose Arch. On the day of my checking out I asked if I could have a late check out given check out was 11am and check in at the other hotel was 2pm and was told this was not possible. I was also told assisting me to the other hotel was not possible. I have problems walking and well that was just very disappointed and wish I had stayed at the Wanderers hotel where I usually stay as their beds are always spotless and a fraction of the price than this hotel, and the MD Caroline runs the most fantastic hotel with staff always going the extra mile for their guests!!!

As a five star hotel sadly they fell very short on this stay and given how special this was meant to be for me.... I would save your money and get a MUCH better experience down the road for half the price at the Wanderers. They truly know how to look after their guests unlike this place!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Mr. Watmough
Thank you very much for taking the time to discuss your stay with me.
The TEAM have looked into all the points mentioned, and the necessary steps have been implemented to ensure this does not happen again.
Please accept my sincere apology for the experience - I look forward to personally welcoming you back!
Best regards
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Ideally situated near restaurants and in the midst of the hip Melrose precinct. The standout features are the tables in the pool for a "dipping" experience whilst dining. The Library Bar for its intimacy and ambiance. Regretfully a heavy downpour of rain did create havoc. The two rooms we were initially checked into had water leaking in and the Melrose precinct had a power failure for the entire evening. Nevertheless the hotel was well equipped with a generator which adequately made the hotel function at 90 percent. What stood out for me is how management went about managing during this stressful time. Since the rooms leaked they kindly moved us three times to a room that we were satisfied with. All of this was done with no fuss. Because of our inconvenience Samuel politely offered us a free nights accommodation with breakfast. Thank you Samuel, it was a wonderful gesture. You were the star of our trip. Keep on smiling :)

We had a wonderful dinner at the March restaurant. Great quality of food, albeit pricey. Thanks to Fifi for looking after us.

We had arranged a special breakfast and thanks to Hanroe for catering to our special dietary requirements by acquiring halal meats the day before. Again well done Fifi.

Finally thanks to Mangi at the front desk for all of his assistance

Room Tip: Face the pool area towards the end of the passage
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Seedat

After an incredibly stormy weekend….your excellent feedback was well received by the TEAM!
We really appreciate your amazing comments and for staying with us!
When situations like this arise, it is how we react, the TEAM were equal to the task.
Please accept my apology for the power issues experienced during your stay, we were affected by the electric storm in JHB.
I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon!
Kind regards
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Melrose Arch Hotel for two nights in October and it is a fabulous contemorary hotel. We had a deluxe room which was very impressive, infact as nice a room as I have ever stayed in, for me it had the wow factor. The bathroom and shower were superb and came with it's own rubber ducks which was a clever, amusing little touch. The bathroom / bedroom is open plan ( there is a curtain you can pull across if you want to) with a seperate shower room and toilet. The hotel is in a gated area which has everything you could possibly need in the way of restaurants, bars and shops and lot's of atmosphere. The staff get a ten from me as does the breakfast. Would I stay there again? Yes, for sure I would, would I recommend it? absolutely.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Suffolk Stella

My TEAM really appreciate your kind words, and are elated to hear that you had such an incredible experience at our hotel!
We have some exciting developments at the hotel coming soon, to ensure that we continue to offer a unique and dynamic product to all who visit!
I look forward to welcoming you back – safe travels!
namibia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a really good hotel and it is conveniently located. The design detail is beautiful. the rooms are fantastic. Staff are well trained and very professional. The only complaint I have is that our room keys would be cancelled every afternoon and we both ended up going back to the front desk every afternoon, after first trying the room, to have the room key reprogrammed. We were told that we had demagnetized our keys with our cell phones but this is simply not true. This is the only hotel in the hundreds we've stayed at where this has happened. And it happened every day at the Melrose Arch hotel. It costs 150 rand to take a taxi from this hotel to Sandton shopping center. We enjoyed everything about this hotel except for the key issue. Food was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Globaltraveller62
Love your comment - fantastic, well trained, professional - music to my ears!
I am extremely proud that the TEAM delivered such an amazing experience for you to enjoy such a memorable stay at our hotel!
We have had our entire door lock system audited, to resolve the inconvenience caused with your key, please accept my apologies for this.
Our courtesy shuttle runs through to the Gautrain station in Sandton, we are in the process of reviewing this service to improve the offering.
Thanks for your review and for staying with us, the TEAM look forward to hosting you again!
Best regards
St Albans, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Melrose Arch for one night on a transit to the Game Reserve. The hotel was recommended by the travel agent as I did not know where to stay in Joburg in terms of safety. The hotel is in a little gated town where all the restaurants, shopping malls, office blocks, hotels and apartments are in one place. Once you're through the gates, you feel like you're in a different world. The hotel is a very modern, contemporary and unique. If you're stopping by Joburg for a night or two then this hotel might be the one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
APMelroseArch, General Manager at African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Kaymet
We are the one!! Thanks for your excellent feedback! The hotel is also very close to all major logistical access points in JHB – we offer a courtesy shuttle Monday’s through Friday’s to the Sandton Gautrain station. I am very pleased to hear you had such a great stay, and wonderful experience, in our beautiful country!
Thank you for your staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Kind regards
Jean-Claude & TEAM

Been to African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel? Share your experiences!