“Superb and sensitive service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa

Save Saved
You added Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa to your Saves list
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Saxon Road | Sandhurst, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 72 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Superb and sensitive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed and eaten at the Saxon several times in the past and always rated it highly, on this occasion I was attending a corporate cocktail party. The service, setting and food at the event were superb, but what really made the evening for me was their response to a slightly unusual request.

I had just collected my 10 year old daughter from her riding lesson, and because of heavy rush hour traffic did not have time to take her home before the event began. I phoned the hotel and asked if there was somewhere she could sit and have something to eat while I was at the event, knowing full well that it was not a family-oriented hotel. The receptionist's response could not have been more positive on the phone, she recognised us on arrival, and whisked my daughter off so I could go straight to the function.

When I collected my daughter later I found they had taken great care of her, not only feeding her well on the terrace by the pool and keeping her entertained, but seating her just away from the other guests so she could lie down on a pool lounger and enjoy the ambience without feeling constrained by being on her own in a group of strangers.

Please don't all bring your kids, I am sure the hotel wants to keep things refined and exclusive, but their response to this situation could not have been better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
George C, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear JonB_SA,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful comment about the service you received at the Saxon. As 'Your Home in Africa' we do believe in family values and understand that there are requests families may have that we can try our best to accommodate with.

I am pleased to hear you had a pleasant experience with us and that you have been a regular guest of ours. We are truly humbled at your wonderful praise of our hotel and I have shared this with all our team members.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon and on your next visit please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us.

George Cohen, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Truly lovely hotel with immaculate yet warm and friendly service. Stunning large rooms with plenty of gorgeous toiletries... Fabulous dinner at the Five Hundred too with delicious wines. Sadly could only stay one night this time, but want to return to enjoy this luxurious lovely place. Simply cannot rave enough about this place!! Definitely worth a visit!

Room Tip: The villas are lovely!!
Dear HelenaHLondon,

My team and I are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and are all overjoyed at your incredible review of our property, especially given that you are a very well-traveled person; we are truly humbled.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon to spend some more time with us and on your next visit please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us.

Clanwilliam, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was in Johannesburg for only one night and had to attend an evening award ceremony. I had the pleasure of staying at the Saxon. The itinerary for this visit was jampacked. The staff at the Hotel made the whirlwind visit to Johannesburg an absolute breeze. Transfers to and from the Gautrain and from Pretoria to the Hotel late at night was always on time and well planned. I would like to make special mention of the exceptional service rendered by Claude. He is part of the Butler staff at the Hotel. He organised a replacement formal shirt within the hour after I realized that I have left mine in Cape Town. His service was simply outstanding. My only regret is the fact that I could not have stayed longer to thoroughly enjoy this beautiful property. I can highly recommend this Hotel for business and leisure travelers alike.

Dear Pieter V,

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received the true Saxon Butler service, with the attention to detail we offer our guests. I have relayed the message to Claude and we will applaud him for his intuitive and attentive service. We are truly humbled at your wonderful praise of our hotel and I have shared this with all our team members.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Went for High Tea at The Saxon. It's a beautiful hotel, the reception is great, however, the same cannot be said about their high tea. For a hotel of its magnitude, the experience was rather average. The service was equally average, with the waiter rarely around, tea was cold, not a worthwhile experience. It's very important to always offer guests a worthwhile experience, especially when you build a reputation of high standard. I think they could do better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
George C, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Itumeleng,

I sincerely apologise for the experience you had with us during your High Tea. We are currently in the process of changing our High Tea offering and improving tremendously on the service and overall experience.

In addition, we have trained two of our team members to become tea sommeliers and they will offer a large selection of luxury teas and are skilled in the art of tea presentation. I would encourage you to please join us again in the near future for our new High Tea and we appreciate your constructive feedback that you have offered us.

We can only learn from this and improve on the service we offer you as one of our valued guests.

Warm Regards,
George Cohen

Managing Director
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We decided to celebrate our 17th anniversary in style at the Saxon. The service is of the highest standard. When we arrived we were upgraded to a villa. The room is very spacious and beautiful with lots of nice surprises. The food was also excellent to say the least. The gardens, views of the city and the hotel is breathtakking. Thank you for making our anniversary very special.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marinda C,

My team and I are delighted to read that you had a wonderful anniversary celebration with us and I thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and for your recommendations. Wishing you many more happy years and on your next visit please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Saxon is an outstanding hotel and provides an exemplary level of service and comfort in blissful peace despite being conveniently located for the City. However, having visited a few times previously, there was no particularly good reason to eat at the hotel as the food was fine but not on a par with the rest of the property.

However, with the opening of 500, this has changed. The new restaurant situated on the first floor adjacent to the Nelson Mandela suite is well appointed with 20(?) covers and a chef's table, where we dined. The food is probably not only the best in Africa but comparable to any top restaurant in Europe or North America. Preparation and presentation and produce were faultless in all dishes offering imaginative but not outlandish combinations, edging on the molecular but with the honesty pioneered by Noma and the Nordics. The wine pairing was similarly imaginative covering a broad spectrum of geographies and perfectly matching each course. Service from the kitchen and the waiting staff was enthusiastic with clear pride in what is being presented. Bravo, it makes the Saxon complete.

The spa is also outstanding and we had a wide range of treatments during our stay all of which were perfectly executed and with a weakening Rand, offering extremely good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
George C, Managing Director at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear nowvoyager1,

I speak on behalf of Executive Chef David Higgs and his fantastic team at Saxon five hundred, when I thank you for this wonderful review of the restaurant.

Five hundred is the Saxon's experiential restaurant, based on the intriguing concept of food, wine and art. The chefs interact with guests and serve a unique gallery of artistic cuisine and wine pairings. The menus reflect the chefs' passion and inspired ideas, showcasing the freshest ingredients, simplicity and superior flavour.

We are all delighted you enjoyed the experience with us and on your next visit please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us.

Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Most likely my best hotel experience! Amazing. Rooms are enormeous with double sinks and closet. All amenities and confortable. Truly special, icluding a very confortable bed. Stunning pool with great outdoor tables for a superior dining experience. Very quiet and clean place. Elegant, serene. Impeccable service.
Perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Andrea N,

We are delighted to read that you have named The Saxon as your #1 hotel experience. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and for your recommendations.

On your next visit please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we would love to make you feel even more at home with us.

George Cohen, Managing Director

Been to Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa? Share your experiences!