“Fantastic Small Property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa

You added Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa to your Saves list
Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Saxon Road | Sandhurst, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Los Angeles
“Fantastic Small Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Saxon Hotel in Johannesburg, it is a beautiful deluxe property.
It is a small boutique hotel and every room is a suite. They have a wonderful spa, an outdoor pool, beautiful grounds, Piano Bar, small boutique shop and fitness center. The fitness center was small but had everything you needed for a good workout.
I loved the African artwork throughout the property, it had a warm feeling, very homey.
I am a travel agent and belong to Virtuoso, which is an affiliation that offers benefits to my clients at selected deluxe hotels and cruises. When we arrived in our room they had given me the Virtuoso benefits that they give to my clients.
We had a very long flight beginning in California. We arrived at the hotel at dinner time and were really tired. There was a wonderful bottle of South African Red wine waiting for us in our room and our butler brought us all kinds of appetizers to go with the wine.
We had such a good time that we never left our room that night.

Our Butler was very attentive and helped us to get settled in and anything that we wanted she was eager to provide. The hotel had a car and driver pick us up at the airport but I would recommend taking the train. It goes directly to the airport and is a much more direct way to reach the hotel.
The location of the Saxon is in a residential area of beautiful estates. It is in the Sandhurst suburb of Sandton. It is very private and the security is very good. While you cannot walk to the shopping area it is convenient to Sandton where there are a lot of shops and restaurants.
The hotel is happy to provide transfers to the shopping area.
Breakfast was included with our room and the restaurant is charming and the breakfast was fabulous.
The hotel is great for small groups. They have a villa that the group could take over that is really private and very deluxe.
I would highly recommend this hotel for families, small groups and business travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SaxonBoutique, Manager at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear Judy S

Thank you for your wonderful comments on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was most memorable and we hope that we will welcome you and many of your clients back to The Saxon very soon. At The Saxon we strive to exceed our guest expectations and we hope that you can say this was the case when you stayed with us. We hope continually improve your clients' travel experience.

When booking us next please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we will personally ensure that those experiences and expectations are exceeded.

Miguel Brunido, Key Accounts Manager
The Saxon Boutique Hotel, Villas and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Beverly Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

The decor is Afrique, tres chic. Extremely comfortable, private, with exquisite surroundings, gardens, swimming pools. The service is extra ordinary. Your wish is their command, and done so pleasantly. Swim in the heated pool, with a tree overhanging, and next to a pool filled with huge koi. Or relax at the larger infinity pool facing the expansive lawns and garden. The breakfast buffet offers oysters every morning, smoked salmon etc. as well as hot food. The breakfast staff, the bar staff, the front desk staff, all are so pleasant without being intrusive. My mother died whilst we were in South Africa, and the manager so kindly offered us a private lounge for family who came to visit one morning. This is a good base to see the rest of Johannesburg, a hotel in which to have a real relax, or a secluded place to do important business.

Room Tip: I personally like the rooms overlooking the koi pond, as they lead to the gym also, and you can step...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SaxonBoutique, Manager at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear shirleymsacks,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was most memorable and we hope that we will welcome you back to The Saxon very soon. on your next visit please do let sales@saxon.co.za know as we would like to exceed your expectations.

Karol Joszkowski, Deputy General Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I spent 1 night here to celebrate my anniversary and it was an outstanding experience.
On arrival, I liked their procedure of taking you to your suite and checking you in at the writing desk in your suit. A very pleasant and personal touch.
Our suite was on the second floor surrounded by tall trees outside the balcony.
All gadgets in the room were explained to us in detail.
The suite was absolutely stunning!!!!
The bed had a wonderful firm mattress with ample feather pillows and a really large duvet.
Cotton percale bedding which looked and smelled new.
The bathroom with bath and shower was incredible, with an abundance of towels and huge bath sheets. These were sparkling white and smelled wonderfully clean and new. The shower pressure was superb and the shower large enough for 2 of you...if you so please.
The bathroom amenities were of a high standard and in ample supply as you would expect from a 5* establishment.
There are 2 separate cupboards with lots of space and hangars in the bathroom.
The mini bar is well stocked with all sorts of drinks and snacks.
Light switches are all over the large room, so you do not have to walk far to activate any of them.
Telephones are in abundance too. One on each bedside table and one on each vanity counter/sink area and in the toilett. His and Her vanities. They really could do with less phones.....
The entire suite is open plan including the bathroom which can be closed with shutter doors. The toilett is separated with a door.
The balcony is on the small side and I would rather have been downstairs with the balcony leading onto the grounds.
Attention to detail in the room is phenominal and I could not find anything wrong at all. This is the first time ever in a hotel room of this standard.
The suite has a computer on the work desk with free internet access.
The bathrobes are big enough to fit your bigger man which is rare.
We partook in high tea on the veranda overlooking one of the pools. The different types of teas were very good and the snacks both sweet and savoury were good. The selection of snacks is good and the quantities served are filling. It was not fantastic as expected but good.
We had dinner at the restaurant. The service from both the waitrons and the sommelier were outstanding at all times. The sommelier had vast experience and was well versed with wines and accompanied foods. The food itself was ok. I did expect better. I would have expected the same exceptional food as I have regularly experienced at the Pigalle Restaurant in Sandton.
On arrival in our suite after dinner, we were greeted with a petal turndown which was just beautiful and made our anniversary night just that much more special.
Breakfast the next morning was again an ok experience.
Great variety of foods, but the sushi was substandard. They are a bit slow on replenishment of items on the buffet. I had to wait very long for a cuppuccino with fresh cream. The problem was the fresh cream which should not happen in this establishment.
We were not rushed to check out at any time.
All in all, it was a very pleasant experience. The staff in this establishment were fantastic at all times. The meals were not great and I would not venture to this hotel just for a meal.

Room Tip: Suites on the ground floor with access to the gardens
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Madame_XYZ.

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are most pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and again we hope you had a most memorable anniversary.

In regards to your dining experiences, apologies that it was not as good as expected. We will pass your remarks onto the kitchen team and hope that when you return we will exceed your expectations. That is what we strive to do at The Saxon. We hope to welcome you back to The Saxon very soon. In future please email sales@saxon.co.za on your return and we will ensure that our team is ready to make your stay even more memorable.

Karol Joszkowski, Deputy General Manager
south africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have been to The Saxon on numerous occasions but my recent experience was abysmal! I can not believe that a 5 star hotel provided this level of service.

Booked a table for 8 people. After 20 mins of our arrival and trying to get some service, our waiter "knowledge" finally took tea order. The ICE tea took 30 mins to bring. When we asked about the delay were told they ran out and had to go to store room. When the ice tea arrived it was warm.. 50 mins later savouries were brought out. only 2 of the 3 platter. the spring rolls were forgotten we had to ask about them. No forks were provided either. Again asked and asked to no avail. hour and half in the cakes arrived with cream jam ect and no scones. The scones took another half an hour to arrive AFTER the cakes, along with the water we had ordered on arrival... coffee's took an hour to arrive and unsurprisingly ice cold.

We called the manageress to complain, she didnt appear to speak English nor did she care...

Westcliffe hotel is a real 5 star hotel, dont waste your cash here!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
SaxonBoutique, Manager at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear LeighDermick,

Thank you for your feedback on your high tea as well as your comments on TripAdvisor.

Please allow us to apologize for the substandard service you received. This is not our usualf standard. We strive for superior service at the Saxon and I can assure you that your comments have been taken into consideration and corrective measures are already in place. We have also contacted the guest who's birthday it was in order to extend our apologies. We do value your patronage and hope to welcome you back soon. We promise that you will receive the Saxon experience you hope for.

On your next visit to the Saxon please contact sales@Saxon.co.za and we will ensure that you are well taken care of.

Saxon Management
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

The Saxon is sheer heaven. This is a much overdue review. I stayed at The Saxon in November 2008 with my mother and then four year old daughter. My mother had broken her foot badly and was bedridden in the sitting room of one of The Saxon's sumptuous suites. This is a place where you want to be bedridden. The entire staff paid her the most kind, attentive attention. Nothing was too much. The rooms are beautifully decorated, as is the whole hotel. Inspired decor! Fabulous gym, great swimming pools and the most wonderful grounds. The best scones. Amazing spa facilities. And the staff - true service. Mr Cohen the GM was very present and his delightful, warm hospitality set the tone for the hotel. An oasis in the city. When I win the lottery I will be taking up permanent residence.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
SaxonBoutique, Manager at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear 2btravelb,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was that memorable. We hope to welcome you back very soon, under different circumstances. On your return, please do let sales@saxon.co.za know and we will make sure we exceed your expectations of the hotel.

Best Regards
George Cohen
Managing Director
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Spa trip from hell on my birthday.... such a shame for a leading spa of the world.

This is an email sent to the spa manager and MD of the Saxon hotel and spa this week and the subsequent reply from them:

Dear Thabisa and George Cohen,

If I am very honest this is the second time I have had an awful time at the Saxon. In actual fact, its the third! We came for a bottle of sancerre the first time and ordered only to have the waiters turning shift and not passing our orders on to the new shift and therefore waiting 45 minutes for our wine eventually we had to go inside to track it down - yes, so infact this is the 3rd time.

I just can't believe that's supposed to be a leading spa - I've been better looked after in tiny unknown spa's and the thought of actually coming back does not fill me with any sort of excitement.

I want to outline my experience yesterday:

I was told I would get a booking confirmation and someone would confirm my appt the day before I arrived for my treatments. This never happened. I therefore arrived at 11 just to be sure - and was told it was 12 but then was told it was ok to bump it up to 11 30 - which was fine, but I was still sent away.

I thought, or maybe I'm just wrong that you arrive at a spa half hour early to change, fill in a medical form and not rush to your first treatment.

Maybe if you're lucky you'll even be offered a glass of water, a herbal tea...... Instead, I was sent away - I went to have a drink downstairs when I noticed a perfectly good place I could wait and have a drink upstairs in the spa whilst I waited.

I had just had a stressful journey in traffic and was made to feel so stupid for being there a bit early!

I arrived back 20 minutes later , was not asked to fill in any consultation form - taken to (rushed to) a room to change into a gown and given what is possibly the most ridiculous locker in the whole series of lockers - it had no hangers to hang my clothes up, it was long and thin (despite the spa not being full ) and I had to unpack my handbag to fit into the narrow space.

Told to change I then had to ask what to do next as I had no idea and nobody had told me. I was told to wait outside till someone came to pick me up.

I put the gown on, which in turn did not fit me around the tummy as I am five and a half months pregnant - unsure what to do, I tried to flag someone down so to avoid putting all my clothes back on again - alas that took ages and eventually I found someone who managed to find me the next size up.

I decided to use the toilet before my treatment as I had just had a big glass of water downstairs, but the toilet was filthy and quickly decided against it. (note, this is the second toilet in the same day I had found in this state - one downstairs as I entered by the Nelson Mandela books) and now this spa toilet.

I decided to refrain and hold it in - thinking there must at least be one more toilet and again, I would be shown around - I had my costume incase there was a pool but was now unsure as whether to put it on or not - if there was a pool or not. All I could see was a bar with tables.

A tour or introduction of facilities was clearly not on the cards this Monday.

I then had the delight of being called in by my therapist - out she came and said "Michele?" I said yes, hello. Follow me she said. Into a room, she has not told me her name.

Clearly she was feeling monday morning blues as I picked up on her mood immediately, and it was not a nice one.

Lie on your stomach she says. I can't I tell her, I am five and a half months pregnant.

Had I filled in a consultation card she had bothered to even read or they had maybe made a note when I booked and clearly told them she might have known, clearly, its not of importance to have anyone fill these medical cards out at the Saxon.....

Oh, well then lie on your side. I will be back in five minutes - she points to the bottom end of the bed, which I think is strange and then think it must be because I am pregnant? She leaves the room and comes back in without knocking,

I am now fully exposed and now also lying on the wrong side of the bed. She tells me to move to the right side of the bed, and whilst I am struggling to get up - again fully exposed she makes no effort to try and help me by holding a towel up instead she stands back and watches me as though I am some beached whale with her arms folded. I felt totally humiliated as I am totally exposed and naked and struggling.

Finally, I lie down, bladder full and I expect her to now ask me what massage pressure I would like, if I am here to relax or if I have any specific concerns (isn't that standard) But thats a bit too much of a big ask at the Saxon ... I think about speaking up but she is clearly not a happy camper and nothing about her makes me feel I can speak up. The frown and body language say it all. I shut up and hope for the best...

I then lie there for the next hour being pulverised like a piece of steak. I wince at how hard she is going and she asks me if she is hurting me, I say, yes, a bit... she ignores that and continues going at the same pressure - why bother asking??

Had she asked me what I wanted to achieve from this treatment from the start I would have told her I really just wanted a relaxing, soft massage as I was feeling particularly stressed - and that I usually had a hot stone massage as I liked that sort of pressure but I knew it was not recommended during pregnancy so therefore was told Swedish was my only option.

Finally, FINALLY thank goodness its all over and I'm told to go downstairs once I have put my gown back on and choose a nail colour for my pedicure. I am not offered a glass of water despite almost gagging with thirst. Again the look on her face is "don't you dare"

I go downstairs (wherever that was, she had not told me) and see her - she says to pick a colour and sit on a bed - the bed she points at has clearly just been used by the other girls who were there as there are half drunk bottles of water, used up dirty tissues and the bed is all messed up. Being rather itimidated by her and over it at this point though I just do as I am told. Then I wait.

Whilst I am waiting I have two people cleaning up around me - they remove the magazines I have just chosen and ignore me - I say hello and I am just scowled at. No hello back. I can see into another room where they are doing something noisy and laughing.

I am thinking - this is the worst spa I have ever been to. My therapist is awol - and now 15 minutes later watching all this going on as I lie on my dirty bed I decide enough is enough. She flounces past me, ignoring me - and joines them in the room I can see into and has a giggle with them - she then leaves again. I get up and go back upstairs.

I tell the lady at reception I would like to cancel my pedicure as I had not had a good experience - she just looks at me and says fine - and starts drawing up the bill - she does not say "oh, why?" or ask me what the issue might be. Lets sweep it under the carpet why don't we....

I go back to the toilet to change, and am desperate still for the toilet but its still not been cleaned and now am at the end of my rope. This and it is 1 hour and 30 minutes later - 1 dirty toilet to choose from. The only other people in the spa - 4 girls as a group. Hardly run off their feet....

I go to pay and she gives me the bill, still not asking me why I chose to cancel my pedicure and why I said I had not had a good time. Only then do I say, can I speak to your manager and Thabisa arrives. Had I not, she would have happily just let me pay and move along.

I then have scowling therapist next to miserable reception person staring at me. Therapist tries to argue with me that she did indeed ask me what pressure I wanted and I said "light to medium" This woman is actually trying to tell me I said something I did not - she is actually making up words that I did not say.

This is when I burst into tears I had just had enough!

Is this seriously the way a leading spa treats people??

Thabisa says not to worry about paying - too right, its my birthday and I'm in tears!

Two weeks prior to this I had come to the Saxon and taken my aunt for high tea. Being summer, being outside clearly you need to remove plates once people are finished to avoid flies, who were everywhere - on 5 seperate occassions, 5 different waiters/waitresses came to fill our glasses - not ONE of them took it upon themselves to remove the plates - not one!! We just looked at them all in disbelief!!

They all just looked at it, looked at flies and walked off - one even commenting he would bring some citronella candles. Eventually I had to ask someone to take them away.

The worst part of this all is the person who gave me this voucher saved up long and hard for it and it was such a treat for me - I was so excited to get it as I was so looking forward to experiencing this spa - which I had read so SO much of - even though I could not afford the whole package I was still excited to get a long awaited massage ( I really needed one!) and a pedicure and decided what better day than my birthday.

All in all it ruined my birthday. It really ruined a day that I was so looking forward to.

I really hope whoever gets that therapist next finds her in a better mood!! Sorry I can't even supply a name as she never told me who she was. My advice, just stay away all together - The Westcliffe is just up the road and the spa is a much happier, nicer environment.

I have sent this almost exact email to the spa and George Cohen - I can see it was forwarded to the Sales and marketing manager then onto a few other people - eventually being answered by Wesley Grobler: (special projects manager?) - no response from George Cohen- Wesley Groblers response, sadly very much like the previous review I have seen on this website with regards to the spa. Seems since that review was posted and this week not much has changed on that front. It seems they have a standard response to anyone that has had a horrible time. Having worked in PR myself I know this standard document well, one that takes no thought or more than 5 minutes to think about - a bog standard letter saved under "complaints template"

Dear _______
Please accept this mail with my sincerest apologies for the ill experience you had with us in the Saxon Spa. All your notes have been viewed in great detail and dealt with accordingly. I do appreciate the criticism, as I believe that we can only build on them and ensure that all errors are corrected in the service with the Saxon Spa.

We do appreciate all the visits you pay to the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa and wish that this incident would not detract from the fact that we consider you as a much deserved valued guest, and wish that you would visit us again in the future.

With this mail, I concur that the experience you had received is not of a leading hotel standard and certainly not of the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa. With the aforementioned, please take this mail as an open invitation to visit us again with re-assurance that all the below comments have been viewed, taken into consideration and the necessary adjustments have been made.

I do trust that you will have the experience according to your expectations of a leading hotel in your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me,

Kind regards, Wesley Grobler |Manager Special Projects| The Saxon Boutique Hotel, Villas and Spa

Why I would contact Wesley Grobler remains unknown to me, why I would ever want to go back to pay for such shoddy service confuses me even more.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
SaxonBoutique, Manager at Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Michele d,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent trip to the Spa, as well as your feedback on Tripadvisor.

All comments are taken with high regard in order for this not to happen again in future.

As per your discussion with Karol, our Deputy General Manager, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Saxon, and we are confident that we will exceed your expectations.

Best regards
Management.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Only complaint was that we only spent 2 days here at the end of our Christmas break in South Africa, everthing else was absolutely perfect. Nothing is too much effort for the staff and all facilities and the rooms are top spec. I previously did not stay here as I thought it may be too in the centre of the city, but this is definitely not a concern as the large grounds and good security make it very quiet and safe.
Looking forward to our next visit already!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MaxS76,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was that memorable.

We hope to welcome you back very soon. On your return, please do let sales@saxon.co.za know and we will make sure we exceed your expectations of the hotel.

Best Regards
George Cohen
Managing Director

Been to Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa? Share your experiences!