Recommended as THE best dining experience in Johannesburg, expectations were set and as the website says "Experience the cuisine of three-Michelin-starred Executive Chef Dirk Gieselmann, who creates a culinary journey focused on seasonality and local provenance". I was excited.
We dined here on May Day.
On arrival, we were dropped off at the wrong restaurant by the golf buggy and they were unable to find our booking. However, we were seated at our choice of table. The manager came over to apologize (good recovery). The menu was unexpected; small and pre-set but nevertheless had a range of good choices- quail; beef; fish etc but disappointing that they didn't cater for kosher/halal in a meaningful way (you need to ring this through a few days in advance- apparently!)
All three courses were cooked well (mind, I thought the beans with the quail were on the tough/undercooked side) but flavours were delicious; Portions could have been fractionally bigger in my opinion (but plates were not over loaded- great!); service was attentive but not intrusive. The sommelier did well on wine recommendations.
Worth getting here early to see the sun set.
In summary; good experience. Wld recommend and return. Impressive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg welcomes you to a self-contained sanctuary in the affluent Westcliff residential area. Perched on a cliffside, this resort-style retreat offers panoramic views over the neighbouring Johannesburg Zoo and the dense tree canopy of the city's prestigious northern suburbs. The ambience is like a sun-splashed Mediterranean village laced with courtyards, fountains and gardens. Fully transformed, the hotel's 117 guest rooms and suites offer cool, contemporary decor inspired by modern Africa. Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg is a lively social hub for the city's elite, and the first choice for business and holiday travellers - providing a pampering start or finish for a South African safari. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Splendia, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Agoda and Despegar.com so you can book your Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westcliff By Orient-Express Hotel Johannesburg
- Westcliff Hotel Johannesburg
- Westcliff Johannesburg