“For a night out the views are unsurpassed!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

You added Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67 Jan Smuts Avenue | Westcliff, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa (Formerly The Westcliff)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“For a night out the views are unsurpassed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I did not stay a the hotel. I visited "Flames" with a dear friend for her birthday to celebrate over bubbles and snacks.
From arrival the guards were friendly and helpful as the entrance that day had changed (paving work) and the gentleman who drives the golf cart to the lift was friendly. I met a chef in the lift who engaged me in conversation as to why I was there, and was not aloof. as you step out of the life you are greeted warmly and assisted.
We chose a table right by the pool with a stunning view, even better just after a JHB thunderstorm!
The service was ok. I know we were not eating a full meal, and I was making use of a complimentary card, however, I still don't feel I should be the one always trying to gain a waiter's attention! The snack food was delicious, beautifully presented on interesting platters with fabulous cutlery (ooooh, I wanted to take it home for my dinner table!). A little pricey, but then this is an upmarket hotel - don't think you are going to be filled on the portions.
The restaurant filled as dark descended so I do suggest you book. It seemed that many used "Flames" as a special venue, a place to celebrate, or get romantic. And romantic it is as the light changes, candles are lit, the pool is illuminated and your look over the stars and skyline of JHB.

Room Tip: Did not stay in hotel. Do note though that currently there are still renovations so ask for a room...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I booked an overnight stay for my husband's birthday at the Four Seasons. Having stayed at the previous Westcliff Hotel, we were eager to see the new Four Seasons.

We stayed in a Deluxe Kingsize room. It was of good size and beautifully appointed. The bed was large, comfortable and made for naps. The room decor was classic contemporary in muted grey and white hues. I don't believe much was changed in the bathroom, but it was not necessary to do so. Large shower, good sized bath. Individual double vanities. We had some bad weather and the room was a relaxing space to spend time in.

The hotel is still not complete and only the Flames restaurant was open. Food was delicious and staff were helpful and attentive. As were all staff; reception, golf cart drivers, spa staff etc.

The spa is also under construction but treatments are available in a converted suite. We had a couple massage - the best massage we have both ever had, and we have a massage whenever we're away.

The hotel did miss a few tricks though. On booking I had notified the hotel that it was my husband's birthday as they ask on their booking form. Most hotels have a hand written note or greet you with a 'happy birthday' but my husband's birthday went unnoticed.
Secondly the room did not have bathrobes and we had to call for them. We also returned to the room after dinner and there was no turn down service.
My husband complained that the TV sport channels are limited with no coverage of the Cricket World Cup or Premier League (almost ruined his birthday :))

As the hotel is new and only opened its doors this year, I trust that these little things will be ironed out and noted to make this a truly 5 Star experience.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

You will feel exclusive the moment you enter the hotel, from the helpful friendly staff, timeless checkin, polo car driving you upto your room, lovely clean and very spacious room and bathroom with quality amenities. The breakfast is mouthwatering and further more the breakfast restaurant has a wonderful view to enjoy whether indoors or outdoors. The pool is big and clean, you wont be able to resist a dip in the water then relax on one of their lazy chairs sipping a refreshing drink. You want to feel pampered... This is the place to be

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The service and attention to detail is what stood out most on our recent stay at the Four Seasons The westcliff.
the staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to ensure that our stay would be a perfect one.
We had our 5 year old daughter with us and the staff made every effort to make her feel special and treated her like one of their adult guests

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having stayed in a few Four Seasons hotels overseas, we were keen to see if this new hotel, a revamp of an existing hotel, lived up to the luxury and excellent service that the brand is known for. The location is very convenient, across from the zoo and a 10 minute (off-peak) drive to Sandton City.

We were in a Premier room located in the Kimberley section which had magnificent views over Joburg from the balcony. Interestingly, the hotel is not just one building, but a series of separate or adjoining buildings set against the hill over a large and steep area.

The room itself was very spacious, with an incredibly comfortable king sized bed and the softest sheets & pillows, and with a big sleeper couch for our daughter and a bathroom with his/her basins, separate shower & bath. Although it was reasonably smart I would think it would be typical of most 5 star hotels without being anything particularly special. The breakfasts are quite adequate although not exceptional, and are taken on a terrace that has sweeping views over Joburg.

We asked the hotel to arrange a tour of Soweto, and we had an excellent and knowledgeable guide Sizwe who took us on a private tour. We had a choice of either a Mercedes E class sedan or a Mercedes van and we made the right choice in going for the latter which had large windows and made photography easy. We felt quite safe during the tour and this is something I would highly recommend.

The service was excellent & lived up to the brand’s reputation, valet parking made life very easy, and the very friendly staff all seemed to know our names from the first day. Because of the design of the hotel, it’s a very steep and challenging walk from the reception to our room right at the very top of the complex, so we used the hotel club cars, which always arrived promptly once requested.

It’s inevitable that there were a number of teething issues having only just opened before our stay, but nothing serious and the staff did their utmost to sort out, certainly nothing that would prevent us coming back. If I had anything to complain about it would only be that wi-fi wasn't free, although to be fair the charge of R200 per day for 4 devices is quite inexpensive.The spa complex and other areas should be completed in the near future, and although there were workmen on site there was no noise at all and absolutely no disruption. However, I suspect the hotel is somewhat expensive for what it offers so although I would be very happy to stay there again, I would look at what the hotels in Sandton City offer.

Room Tip: Premier rooms are very spacious and have fantastic views from the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Highly recomended the four seasons in johannesburg offers service, standards and luxury hardly seen in Johannnesburg. For business or pleasure I can highly recommend the rebirth of what was a lovely hotel into an exceptional one now. Well worth staying here....

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
FSJohannesburg, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Suzanne S

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us here on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to hear that you found Four Seasons The Westcliff to be an “exceptional hotel". I will be sure to share your compliments with the entire team, as I know everyone will be just as delighted as I am.

Again, thank you for your kind words, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Warmest regards,

Sebastien CARRE
General manager
Email: sebastien.carre@fourseasons.com
Tel +27 (0)11 481 6101
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We recently stayed at The Westcliff and had a lovely experience. We have stayed at our Four Season hotels before and the what has always stood out has been the service. The Westcliff does not disappoint. From day one everybody knew us by name and which room we were in, they knew our likes and anticipated what we would want which was exceptional. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.
Yes there are a few teething issues as the hotel has only recently opened, but nothing that interfered with our stay or enjoyment. I think once the spa complex has been completed, this will be exceptional.
We wanted to do a tour of Soweto and this was arranged by the hotel. We had a wonderful guide Sizwe who was very informative and took us round Soweto and gave us a very balanced history of the country and area, I would highly recommend doing this.
The room was spacious enough for us to have our daughter in the same room with us and not feel crowded. The bathrooms are nicely equipped with double basins and a bath and separate shower.
Breakfasts were good with a cold and hot buffet and menu to order from.
The architecture of the hotel is fantastic with stunning views over Johannesburg. We will definitely return to The Westcliff when we come back to Joburg.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg? Share your experiences!