“A gem in the making” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

You added Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   67 Jan Smuts Avenue | Westcliff, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa (Formerly The Westcliff)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #38 of 71 Hotels in Johannesburg
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A gem in the making”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We recently stayed at The Westcliff and had a lovely experience. We have stayed at our Four Season hotels before and the what has always stood out has been the service. The Westcliff does not disappoint. From day one everybody knew us by name and which room we were in, they knew our likes and anticipated what we would want which was exceptional. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.
Yes there are a few teething issues as the hotel has only recently opened, but nothing that interfered with our stay or enjoyment. I think once the spa complex has been completed, this will be exceptional.
We wanted to do a tour of Soweto and this was arranged by the hotel. We had a wonderful guide Sizwe who was very informative and took us round Soweto and gave us a very balanced history of the country and area, I would highly recommend doing this.
The room was spacious enough for us to have our daughter in the same room with us and not feel crowded. The bathrooms are nicely equipped with double basins and a bath and separate shower.
Breakfasts were good with a cold and hot buffet and menu to order from.
The architecture of the hotel is fantastic with stunning views over Johannesburg. We will definitely return to The Westcliff when we come back to Joburg.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I am not sure if the amazing stay we had was due to the fact that it was my birthday and that they decided to make an effort , but I just raved and raved from reception right through to our departure. I LOVE attention to detail and that's exactly what we got. When I entered my room a small birthday cake welcomed me in my room. It was a chocolate fondant covered mouse cake, with Happy Birthday written on it. Oh my word!!! Seriously delicious. Every single staff member we came in to contact with was super friendly and helpful. Everyone smiled and stood ready to jump to attention to serve. I was really impressed. Our rooms were lovely and spacious. Down at the pool we found pewter bowls with all sorts of beverages on ice. As we sat someone came out with a warm wet towel to clean your hands and face with. The drinks were on the house, from beers, to soft drinks and water. That hardly happens anywhere. Our dining experience for dinner and breakfast was INCREDIBLE.. Once again with incredibly friendly and efficient staff serving us. The food was amazing. - The view overlooking Johannesburg, so stunning. Need I say more. It will always stand out as one of the best hotel experiences we've ever had. Spoil yourselves and go!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Having had the opportunity to visit a number of Four Seasons globally my expectations where high. Given the hotel is still in its soft opening I anticipated some hiccups along the way. I was impressed with the service and the Four Seasons international attention to detail shines through, rooms are beautifully appointed as are the bathrooms - a welcome update at the Westcliff. The only restaurant currently operating is Flames with the fine dining restaurant opening sometime later this year. The food at flames is simple, well prepared, fresh and tasty. I see a number of bad reviews and from my experience these teething issues appear to have been resolved. Breakfasts are superb. All round it is a welcome pleasure to have a Four Seasons in South Africa and hope it drives other hotels to up their game.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was really looking forward to staying at the new Four Seasons at the Westcliff. The Four Seasons hotels I've been to in other cities have been amazing. I booked my wife and I in on our first, yes, honeymoon, night that we were married - just a little overnight stay in a nice hotel. This was in early December, 2014, at the official reopening month of the hotel. Unfortunately there was load shedding that evening. But the generators were keeping things on. The room was well appointed and the bedding (great cotton) was amazing. The bathroom was pure indulgence. The front desk staff were friendly, professional, and sincerely helpful. So a few great positives there. The phone in the room wasn't working, so I had to walk to the front desk to order room service dinner - not so much of a great thing. But the cheeseburger I wolfed down was possibly one of the best I've ever eaten, anywhere in the world! The new restaurant, Flames, where we had our breakfast the following morning, was the big disappointment of our stay. Yes, the views are spectacular, but that's what one has always expected from the Westcliff. After being seated for breakfast, we were given the lunch menus, not the breakfast menus. Yes, I had to get menus myself from inside. Then I asked for marmalade with my toast, and received Marmite. Then they got the toast wrong - twice. But as it was their first opening few weeks, one can kind of overlook the little things. Then at check-out time, the restaurant had actually charged the breakfasts to our account, when our booking was for bed with breakfast included. Even after I told the restaurant manager upon arrival. So another little hiccup. It is not a 'budget' hotel. It has a lot going for it. But some big shoes to fill if they want to carry on the old Westcliff legacy. So I sincerely hope their teething problems have been sorted. If not, at least one can appreciate the serene views. Pity about getting rid of the main pool though. PS: The phone booking system is a great test of one's patience.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have been frequent guests at The Westcliff when it was run by Orient Express and were looking forward to trying the revamped hotel under Four Seasons colours.. However some of the reviews since the re-opening on 1 December have been less than complimentary. We will be in Johannesburg for 10 days in early February and and I emailed the hotel before Christmas (via the contact me box on their website) to enquire which services/restaurants/spa etc would be open by early Feb and what the state of the building works would be at (I do not want to stay on a building site). To date I have had no response and have now booked to stay elsewhere. Not impressed!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
FSJohannesburg, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Peter GD

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We value your feedback and were very concerned to read you had not received a response to your enquiry. Please accept our deepest apologies. We are currently investigating the matter. I would like to request that you please provide us with your email address or contact number so we are able to contact you directly.

Sebastien CARRE
General manager
Email: sebastien.carre@fourseasons.com
Tel +27 (0)11 481 6101
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Sitting on the verandah high up on the hill at the hotel's Flames Restaurant is an exceptional experience. We enjoyed a beautiful evening, with a breathtaking view over the tree filled skyline of Johannesburg. The menu had a nice selection of local Johannesberg flavors, as well as a very nice choice for the children. The food was delicious with local flavors and at the same time had a twist of something exotic. The service was friendly and helpful.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having recently returned from an 11 day trip to South Africa, I asked the kids which was their favourite property and the answer was the Westcliff. We loved the location and felt very safe and relaxed. I hadn't realised how green Johannesburg was and the Westcliff certainly had the views to show this. The staff were so friendly and helpful, the rooms a very high standard with service to match. We ate in the restaurant for lunch and evening meal and it was a real occasion with fabulous food. The kids were looked after very well and enjoyed the pool which was sheltered from the hotel sun in afternoons. A perfect start to our first family trip to South Africa. I would certainly recommend it for anyone staying in Johannesburg. We wanted to go to the Apartheid museum but got carried away with the lovely lunch so ended up staying around the Hotel. I understand not all the rooms are completed yet but if ours was anything to go by they will be lovely. Thank you

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg? Share your experiences!