We went to the opening of the Four Season restaurant hoping that this would be even better than the previous Westcliff Hotel after the takeover by 4 seasons. We then booked a few weeks later for sundowners on the terrace restaurant called Flames.
Unfortunately it did not come anywhere near expectations. On the second occasion they lost our booking completely because staff were completely confused. Flames was meant to be fully booked but as far as we could tell only quarter full on the night. The service was very poor with drinks taking over 30 mins to be served. We were 11 and ordered some snacks from the menu to have with our drinks. You were lucky if you got two items on a plate which for a party of 11 was ridiculous , the waiter should have advised that the portion sizes were small. We were recommended to try their signature dish a form of pizza , it was tasteless , you could have got better from a local bakery. We then asked if we could eat inside but they said fully booked, they then found a table outside , still plenty of room as far as we could see so we could not understand the fully booked excuse. Again the food took its time , some arrived cold and had to be sent back, and it is very pricey compared to other high quality local restaurants. The wine list is very limited and not good quality , they were asking 3 to 400 rand for a bottle you can buy in the market for 70 rand.
The hotel has been refurbished but when you see the quality of work especially the painting of the walls and doors in some areas it is shocking, even in some of the toilets taps did not work.
So overall a bad experience , having said that the staff were trying their best and always helpful, I think it was just down to lack of training on customer service and knowledge of the food and wine so they could describe it to their guests. So hotel management need to relook at this in detail and get it right sooner rather than later because we will not be going back their in the immediate future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Much acclaimed and soon more impressive than ever, Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg welcomes you to a self-contained sanctuary in an affluent residential area. Perched on a cliffside, this resort-style retreat offers panoramic views over the neighbouring Johannesburg Zoo and the dense tree canopy of the city's prestigious northern suburbs. The ambience is like a sun-splashed Mediterranean village laced with courtyards, fountains and gardens. Fully transformed, the hotel's 117 guest rooms and suites offer cool, contemporary decor inspired by modern Africa. Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg is destined to become a lively social hub for the city's elite, and the first choice for business and holiday travellers - providing a pampering start or finish for a South African safari. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Otel, TripOnline SA, Tingo and South African Hotels so you can book your Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westcliff By Orient-Express Hotel Johannesburg
- Westcliff Hotel Johannesburg
- Westcliff Johannesburg