The Westcliff has been bought by Four Seasons and is closed for a year for renovations, which were, in fairness, required. I am writing this review as a thank you for the wonderful times and memories I had there over the years. Work got me to Johannesburg very frequently for a while, and since that time a friend took me to the Pink Palace for sundowners, I never stayed in another hotel.
Occasionally in one’s life, hotels become more than just a place to stay. Maybe it’s just because work gets you there very often, and habit makes you attached. Maybe it’s linked to the people who are with you, or your state of mind when you are there. Maybe it’s about the hotel’s charm, its uniqueness, and its character. Probably, it’s a combination of all the above.
I will always treasure in my mind all those wonderful evenings spent watching the sunset and the stars over a bottle of local wine; the walks at night, wandering slightly tipsy through the little alleys and the maze of corridors and staircases; the white restaurant with its glimmer and shine; bumping into old friends and making an ordinary night into a great one; sitting by the fireplace in the Polo Bar, whisky in hand, as the cold winter wind was biting; eggs benedict for breakfast on my own private terrace; the concierge and every member of staff, always smiling, always efficient; watching the world go by below the line of the infinity pool, sitting on the prow of a pink temple of style and beauty.
I am sure the new hotel will be gorgeous, with the guarantee of Four Seasons service to make it even more special. I may never visit again if business takes me away from South Africa, as is likely. I will nevertheless keep all those memories of that home from home in a little drawer in my head. Thank you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Much acclaimed and soon more impressive than ever, Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg welcomes you to a self-contained sanctuary in an affluent residential area. Perched on a cliffside, this resort-style retreat offers panoramic views over the neighbouring Johannesburg Zoo and the dense tree canopy of the city's prestigious northern suburbs. The ambience is like a sun-splashed Mediterranean village laced with courtyards, fountains and gardens. Fully transformed, the hotel's 117 guest rooms and suites offer cool, contemporary decor inspired by modern Africa. Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg is destined to become a lively social hub for the city's elite, and the first choice for business and holiday travellers - providing a pampering start or finish for a South African safari. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westcliff By Orient-Express Hotel Johannesburg
- Westcliff Hotel Johannesburg
- Westcliff Johannesburg